Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Breathtakingly Beautiful

bansi4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd have to say Steve McQueen absolutely anywhere. I think he's dreamy. And for a second, it could be Gene Kelly in An American in Paris or Cary Grant in Notorious. Or Jimmy Stewart in The Philedelphia Story. They're positively good looking and absolutely noteworthy.

But when it's all said and done, my vote for me is for Steve McQueen.

• 5 weeks later...

Women:

Norma shearer - a fashion plate of '30s beauty

Gene Tierney, "Laura"- beautiful AND a lovely voice

Ingrid Bergman, "For Whom the Bell Tolls" - European features are flawless

Lee Remick - all through the '60s had a downhome, girl-next-door beauty

Men:

William Holden, from "Sabrina" to "COuntry Girl" to "Bridge/Kwai"-era - one handsome hunk!

Alan Ladd - because he looked like my dad

Robert Mitchum, "Holiday Affair" - while not stereotypically 'handsome', had this animal appeal to me!

Agreed with the comment about Paulette Goddard! I am very jealous of her beauty-- and she happens to be a damn good actress too.

And Stgal, you hit it right on the dot when you said that Norma Shearer was a fashion plate of the '30s! Couldn't put it better myself! And you are AUTOMATICALLY cool for mentioning William Holden!

Has no one mentioned either Vivien Leigh or Greta Garbo or Claudette Colbert? All are irreplacable beauties. Isn't it funny that when you think of actresses from back then they are so veryinteresting. Their beauty is striking and original. The actresses today get lost in the crowds and tend to seem like every other actress. (I had a huge fight with a friend over this recently and, I'm happy to say, I won. . . =o)

I wasn't crazy about VOGUES OF 1938 but I like Joan Bennett a lot. She was a blonde for the first 10 years of her film career. In the film TRADE WINDS (1938) she dyes her hair to escape from the police. In real life she kept it brunette for the rest of her career. She looks so different with dark hair. I've read that the brunette Joan Bennett got more interesting film roles & many people said she resembled Hedy Lamarr. I think my favorite film of hers is MAN HUNT (1940) with Walter Pidgeon. She was so touching in it. Other favorites include THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW & THE RECKLESS MOMENT. And I liked her in MISSISSIPPI, THE SON OF MONTE CRISTO & FATHER OF THE BRIDE (1950), and others. There are some of her films I haven't seen yet. One of her last roles was a small part in the creepy & strange cult classic SUSPIRIA. I wish TCM or A&E would do a documentary on her.

Tyrone Power from Second Fiddle.

Lana Turner in Glamour Girls.

James Stewart in The Philadelphia Story or You Can't Take it With You

Mareen O'Hara definitely in The Quiet Man

• 2 weeks later...

Betty Grable is my favorite actress, obviously. She was beautiful but I like her more for what she stood for in her films. She brings so much more than just good looks and dancing. She's just plain fun and enjoyable!

Archived