Madeline Carroll

Jean Arthur

Jean Parker

Lillian Gish

Gene Tierney

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Less often mentioned...

Ladies: Gene Tierney, Jean Simmons, Lana Turner, Ingrid Bergmann, Kim Novak,Dorothy Dandridge, Sophia Loren, Julie Christie, Allida Valli, Anouk Aimee

Gentlemen: Gregory Peck, Victor Mature, Terrence Stamp, Farley Granger, Stewart Granger, Edmund Purdum

Extremely attractive though not "breathtakingly beautiful" gentlemen: Joseph Cotten, Trevor Howard, Peter Finch, Woody Strode, (young) John Wayne,

Rita Hayworth can be seen on TCM in one of her earliest movies, ?Dante?s Inferno,? 1935, with Spencer Tracy. She does a Spanish dance on the nightclub ship toward the end of the movie. She is credited under her real name, Rita Cansino. This was before she became famous.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Carole Lombard always looked gorgeous, as did Vivien Leigh, Ava Gardner, and Anita Ekberg.

And for a more current actress, Morena Baccarin, who co-starred in the television show "Firefly" and the awesome movie adaptation "Serenity," is just about perfect looking.

For the guys, I love Gene Kelly. There are others that I like more all around, but Gene always looks great.

As for current actors, I'd have to say Johnny Depp and Clive Owen.

I agree with you deadpandiva and path40a...GLORIA DeHAVEN was beautiful with that thick hair and beautiful smile. She could really sing and dance. I always got the impression. right or wrong, that she would have received more starring roles but she just had SO MUCH competition for musicals in the late 40's.June Allyson Doris Day, Betty Hutton...many more.

Women -

Hedy Lamarr

Rita Hayworth

Lauren Bacall

Men -

Errol Flynn

James Dean

Montgomery Clift

(note that there are several men not listed here who I think are incredibly good-looking and/or incredibly sexy, but if we are talking "beautiful", I can only think of three to whom I would apply *that* term)

Not sure if I've posted to this thread before or not, but here goes...

Lucille Ball, especially in her earlier years--like in Ziegfeld Follies

Vera-Ellen

I thought Jane Wyman was gorgeous in Pollyanna

and the #1 most beautiful woman ever on screen...

MAUREEN O'HARA!

Well, there were so many beauties, but I'd have to say in terms of pure beauty, probably no one could top Gene Tierney in that department. I'd have to say that Hedy Lamarr and Gene Tierney were the most beautiful women to ever appear on screen.

• 3 weeks later...

Alexis Smith (and because I am told that I look like her)

Rita Hayworth

Lena Horne

Lauren Bacall

Montgomery Clift

Cesar Romero

Jeff Chandler

Cary Grant

Rock Hudson

(and just because I am obsessed---even tho he is not "beautiful":

Humphrey Bogart)

ELIZABETH TAYLOR in The Taming Of The Shrew. She was more beautiful in this movie than at any other time in her career. Those lovely blue eyes framed by luxurious black hair. Those magnificent breasts and Madonna like hips. She was perfect, built the way they used to make 'em in the old days, all curves and softness. She had the kind of body that would have made Rubens bite through his paint brush.

Sadly thats not the fashion today (too) thin is in, as anyone who watched those pseudo-sophistcated beanpoles drag their bony selves along the red carpet at the Oscars will have observed.

I'd like to hear from more men on this subject naming your favorite woman-shaped actresses (actressi ?) who look like real people and not runway models.

I'm making a stand (in more ways than one) in support of voluptuouness.

God bless Sophia Loren, Claudia Cardinale, Shelley Winters, Mae West and all the rest.