Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies that appeal to one's self-regard

skimpole

Last night I saw Everybody Wants Some!! and it occurred to me that this is the movie that frat boys and college athletes would most admire about themselves as if presents them as fundamentally benign.  They wouldn't immediately admire it because it's a movie where the characters constantly talk about sex and there's only very brief nudity.  But once they gain a little perspective they'd like this movie because it shows them in such a good light.

This leads me to other movies that appeal to a group's self-regard.  The Caine Mutiny would appeal to the naval hierarchy because it argues that the chain of command is sacrosanct and anyone who argues otherwise is a cowardly, spiteful intriguer.  This is true even if the navy was actually uncooperative to the makers of the movie, and kept insisting that the American navy had never had a mutiny. 

What other movies are there?  I'm not thinking of movies which consists of people doing admirable things, like lawyers in To Kill a Mockingbird or The Verdict or Erin Brockovich.  I'm not thinking of movies like Edison the Man, Dr. Erlich's Magic Bullet or The Story of Louis Pasteur, which say how wonderful it is to be a great scientist of world-historical importance.  I'm thinking more of movies which argue that a particular group deserve our admiration more on their terms, rather than on terms outside their group.  It looks at what appears to be a major flaw of the group in question, and then says it's all right.  What movies come to mind?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, and I'm of the type that usually tries to avoid being seen as any member of any particular "group", which denotes more of a person who lacks aspirations of identity unless theirs is defined by "fitting in" with some sort of social enclave.

But in an attempt to offer something positive and try to answer your inquiry, I suppose any movie that shows "blue collar" manufacturer laborers in another light than simple minded beer drinkers and wife beaters who spend all their spare time playing cards or hanging out at the corner bar would work for me in this instance.

I never strived to be a blue collar auto plant worker, I just needed a job, and an auto plant with it's union protected wages and hospitalization plan seemed a good fit.  I mostly saw my job as more a means to an end, and never something that defined who or what I was.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Going My Way and The Bells of St. Mary's are exactly the way the Catholic Church wanted to see itself portrayed. Spotlight, not so much.

Triumph of the Will comes to mind, too, and The North Star and the early Eisenstein movies.

Last night I saw Everybody Wants Some!! and it occurred to me that this is the movie that frat boys and college athletes would most admire about themselves as if presents them as fundamentally benign.  They wouldn't immediately admire it because it's a movie where the characters constantly talk about sex and there's only very brief nudity.  But once they gain a little perspective they'd like this movie because it shows them in such a good light.

This leads me to other movies that appeal to a group's self-regard.  The Caine Mutiny would appeal to the naval hierarchy because it argues that the chain of command is sacrosanct and anyone who argues otherwise is a cowardly, spiteful intriguer.  This is true even if the navy was actually uncooperative to the makers of the movie, and kept insisting that the American navy had never had a mutiny. 

What other movies are there?  I'm not thinking of movies which consists of people doing admirable things, like lawyers in To Kill a Mockingbird or The Verdict or Erin Brockovich.  I'm not thinking of movies like Edison the Man, Dr. Erlich's Magic Bullet or The Story of Louis Pasteur, which say how wonderful it is to be a great scientist of world-historical importance.  I'm thinking more of movies which argue that a particular group deserve our admiration more on their terms, rather than on terms outside their group.  It looks at what appears to be a major flaw of the group in question, and then says it's all right.  What movies come to mind?

Not to make light of your excellent topic choice, Skimpole but the movie that I think would be one that show biz folk would like, is "Young People" with Shirley Temple. This was her last film at 2oth Century Fox in like 1940 [?] and of course the storyline is that her show biz parents want to give her a more "normal" life in a small town so they are retiring from the vaudeville circuit. But the townspeople just don't care for or trust "show people" and of course it is up to Shirley to give them all what Harry Truman used to like to give people and tell them off about how much better and kinder and more wonderful, "show people" really are. She does this with a bang and makes her parents, Charlotte Greenwood and Jack Oakie proud and puts all the small minded plebeians in the town in their place. So of course show biz people would love that this film shows them in such a good light, and shows what is supposed to be the nice, normal people as bigoted idiots.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings