Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It was rumored before but now WB has announced an official date, November 16th, and cover art for the 1935 version of Mutiny on The Bounty for Blu-ray release, including a digibook. Same features as was on the special DVD release. The really great news is that it has "undergone a full photochemical restoration sourced from the film long-thought-lost, and recently rediscovered, original nitrate camera negative. The film's audio track has also been restored for this presentation."

4812909234_ea79160122_b.jpg

A Technicolor treat on Blu-ray from Eureka in the UK for August 23. Maria Montez and Jon Hall in Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves:

4825364773_4a46e16a72.jpg

Uncertain if it will be region free at this moment, and I believe it will not have any extras.

It is up for pre-order on Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ali-Baba-Forty-Thieves-Blu-ray/dp/B003X1NZ1Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1280032668&sr=8-1

There is a strong possibility that *The Bridge on the River Kwai* is coming on Blu-ray from Sony during this year's fourth quarter, at least abroad. A Spanish site is listing it as "official from Sony" but I would like to wait to see if we get a similar announcement here for a U.S. release.

Lionsgate has announced *Apocalyse Now* for Blu-ray on Oct. 19th

From Blu-ray.com: With new transfers supervised directly by Coppola, Apocalypse Now will come out in two deluxe editions: the 2-Film Set, and the 3-disc Full Disclosure Edition. The 2-Film Set will include both Apocalypse Now - The 1979 Cut and Apocalypse Now Redux and will also include over nine hours of special features. The Full Disclosure Edition will add the seminal making-of documentary Hearts of Darkness, a 48-page collectible booklet and storyboard, photo and marketing archives.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4914

Some more details about Apocalypse Now. Looks like they are going all out on it:

IGN has the scoop on the full release details for the Apocalypse Now Blu-ray, and they include two welcome surprises. Firstly, Hearts of Darkness, the acclaimed documentary on the grueling shoot of Francis Ford Coppola's classic (included only in the Full Disclosure Edition), will be presented in high-definition 1080p resolution. Secondly, both cuts of Apocalypse Now will be presented in the original theatrical aspect ratio of 2.35:1.

The framing of Apocalypse Now has been the object of a long controversy. The film was shot on Super Technovision (anamorphic 35mm), which has a projected aspect ratio of 2.35:1 (actually, 2.39:1). However, all of the DVD releases of the movie have been in a modified aspect ratio of 2.00:1. Back in 1999, two of the producers of the movie confirmed that it was cinematographer Vittorio Storaro's decision that "for home video and broadcast, he would transfer the film with a slightly modified framing: 2.0:1." Hence, this BD release of Apocalypse Now is the first release (after the LaserDisc) to sport the original theatrical aspect ratio."

Contents include:

2-Film Set

Apocalypse Now - 1979 Cut

Apocalypse Now Redux

"A Conversation with Martin Sheen" interview by Francis Ford Coppola

"An Interview with John Milius" interview by Francis Ford Coppola

Complete Francis Ford Coppola interview with Roger Ebert at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival

Monkey Sampan "lost scene"

Additional Scenes

"Destruction of the Kurtz Compound" end credits with audio commentary by Francis Ford Coppola

"The Hollow Men," video of Marlon Brando reading T.S. Eliot's poem

Featurettes:

The Birth of 5.1 Sound

Ghost Helicopter Flyover sound effects demonstration

A Million Feet of Film: The Editing of Apocalypse Now

The Music of Apocalypse Now

Heard Any Good Movies Lately? The Sound Design of Apocalypse Now

The Final Mix

Apocalypse Then and Now

The Color Palette of Apocalypse Now

PBR Streetgang

The Color Palette of Apocalypse Now

The Synthesizer Soundtrack" article by music synthesizer inventor Bob Moog

Full Disclosure Edition

Like the 2-Film Set above, plus:

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse

Optional audio commentary with Eleanor and Francis Ford Coppola

48-page collectible printed booklet with special note from Francis Ford Coppola, never-before-seen archives from the set, behind the scenes photos and more

John Milius Script Excerpt with Francis Ford Coppola Notes

Storyboard Gallery

Photo Gallery, including images from photographer Mary Ellen Mark

Marketing Archive

2-disc edition:

4840905829_1a8b851ec0_m.jpg

3-disc edition:

4841519906_f95d9c6c78_m.jpg

Edited by: filmlover on Jul 29, 2010 2:08 PM

The second season of *The Twilight Zone* on Blu-ray has just been announced for November 16th. This will be two months after the first season comes out. It will probably carry over all the features of the previous DVD edition, plus there are new extras:

"Nightmare At Ground Zero," an episode from the TV series Suspense

George T. Clemens audio interview (1978), part 2

William Tuttle audio interview

There is a release date now (Oct. 19th) for The Rocky Horror Picture Show on Blu-ray. Video will be presented in 1.66:1, sourced from a brand new 4K/2K master, from the original camera negatives. Audio will be in DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 (the original mono soundtrack will also be included).

Special features include:

The Midnight Experience: The Late Night, Double Feature, Picture-in-Picture Show, Vintage Callback Track (Unrated), Prop Box, Trivia Track (new)

Audio Commentary by Richard O'Brien and Patricia Quinn

Rocky-oke: Sing It! (new)

Don't Dream It, Be It: The Search for the 35th Anniversary Shadowcast, Part I (new)

An-tic-i-pation: The Search for the 35th Anniversary Shadowcast, Part II (new)

Mick Rock (A Photographer) (new)

Mick Rock's Picture Show (A Gallery) (new)

Pressbook and Poster Gallery (new)

Deleted Musical Scenes and Outtakes

Alternate Credit Ending and Misprint Ending

Rocky Horror Double Feature Video Show

Beacon Theater, New York City "Time Warp" Music Video (possibly from the 15th Anniversary VHS/LaserDisc?)

BD-Live (new)

Live Lookup, Powered by IMDb

I'll get this, and I have seen the cover art, but I choose not to print it here. If you look it up, you can see it just doesn't match the quality of some titles here and its addition would not be an addition.

I always find it hard to understand how certain distribution companies come to a decision on what to release on high def Blu-ray. Or, more to the point, WHY they release certain titles before others?

For example, Eureka's Masters of Cinema in the UK have done some great classic titles on Blu, Sunrise and City Girl to mention two. Now there are many other classic titles I would produce before the two they have just announced for September release:

4859366948_b63812edbb_z.jpg

4859367156_baf4e2f494_z.jpg

I have nothing against either title. As a matter of fact, I welcome all old movies on Blu-ray...but why these two when there are so many more famous and deserving titles waiting to be released?

It is nice to see another Fox film getting a third party release on Blu because Fox definitely won't do it on their own. I hope Criterion and MOC continue to dig in, maybe Wild River will come up soon.

I think the problem might be the licensing of these films. In the case of FOX they probably are particular what titles can be licensed for Blu Ray and what cannot. Eureka has released several FOX titles but nothing really major with the exception of SUNRISE and this is probably not a title that would sell that well in this country on Blu Ray. .

I think the problem might be the licensing of these films. In the case of FOX they probably are particular what titles can be licensed for Blu Ray and what cannot. Eureka has released several FOX titles but nothing really major with the exception of SUNRISE and this is probably not a title that would sell that well in this country on Blu Ray. .

*I think the problem might be the licensing of these films. In the case of FOX they probably are particular what titles can be licensed for Blu Ray and what cannot. Eureka has released several FOX titles but nothing really major with the exception of SUNRISE and this is probably not a title that would sell that well in this country on Blu Ray. .*

To me, getting excited about old titles on Blu-Ray is part of the problem. Studios realize there is a finite (and probably shrinking) market for the old titles, and therefore, will be leery about releasing many of them. VHS had many titles released, but probably a good portion of them did not sell that well. So next technology comes along-DVD-and the studios release far fewer classics than they did with VHS. Now everbody is jumping on the Blu-ray bandwagon. I have a perfectly fine Casablanca boxset, Double Indemnity, etc. on DVD. I would much rather have some 30s titles, say, that have NEVER been available commercially in ANY format, released on DVD, than another version of NORTH BY NORTHWEST, whathaveyou,on Blu-Ray, something I already have in a perfectly acceptable format. Because even less titles will come out on Blu-Ray than were released on DVD, and these will be for the most part the all-time classics, as they have proved to sell. The squeeze will be felt ever more severely on the vast majority of the films from the 30s-50s, never mind the silent era.

fa_chaplinfront_29.jpg

http://www.flickeralley.com/fat_chaplin_01.html

Coming October 26th. I've never liked the Keystone era as much as I have the Essanay, Mutual, and First National films but this just might be the perfect time to revisit them. It's going to be a good Christmas season for Chaplin fans: we get this wonderful set and at least one, perhaps more than one, of the upcoming Criterion discs.

A look at a new TCM/Universal release:

4876569587_3bf5a1b749.jpg

Douglas Sirk Filmmaker Collection (Thunder on the Hill / Taza, Son of Cochise / Captain Lightfoot / The Tarnished Angels) TCM Vault (1951)

Release date: Sept. 20, 2010

BONUS FEATURES (ALL 4 DVDS):

Robert Osborne Introduction

Publicity Stills

Scene Stills

Lobby Cards

http://www.classicflix.com/douglas-sirk-filmmaker-collection-thunder-hill-taza-cochise-captain-lightfoot-tarnished-angels-vault-p-10190.html

New from Universal:

The Bing Crosby Collection - Universal Backlot Series (*College Humor / We?re Not Dressing / Here Is My Heart / Mississippi / Sing You Sinners / Welcome Stranger*)

the only extras are trailers.

Welcome Stranger is from the 1940s, the rest are 1930s. It will be a 3-disc set, release date is Nov. 2nd.

A followup on the Blu-ray release of *The Bridge on the River Kwai*. The expected release date is Nov. 2nd and the extras will include:

Picture-in-graphics track: Crossing the Bridge:

Replicas of the original lobby cards

William Holden and Alec Guinness on The Steve Allen Show

Newly-discovered archival audio of William Holden narrating The Bridge on the River Kwai premiere

35 page book with stories and photos from the production

Wow, the news almost all Blu-ray fans have been waiting for...but I was beginning to doubt ever would be...

...George Lucas himself announced today that the *Star Wars* films will be released on Blu-ray in 2011, in a six-movie box set. Speaking at the Celebration V convention in Orlando, Lucas said: "I wish I could say it was coming out this year, but it will come out next year." New, extensive special features will be featured, including documentaries, vintage behind-the-scenes moments, interviews, retrospectives and never-before-seen footage from the Lucasfilm archives.

"Blu-ray is the absolute best way to experience Star Wars at home ? in pristine high definition," said George Lucas. "The films have never looked or sounded better."

In an interview with the New York Times, Lucas said that the saga hadn't been announced before because he was waiting for mass adoption of the Blu-ray format. "We've been wanting to do it as soon as we possibly could, but we just wanted to do it when enough people would be able to buy it and see it," said the filmmaker.

Lucas also clarified that the original trilogy movies will be included as they were shown theatrically in 1997 and released on DVD in 2004 - i.e., the original versions will not be included. "You have to go through and do a whole restoration on it, and you have to do that digitally," he said. "It's a very, very expensive process to do it. So when we did the transfer to digital, we only transferred really the upgraded version."

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4996

They might as well drop the 1997 re-releases, the hardcore fans already hate the changes enough that I'm sure many wouldn't care about if it was only the 97 or 04 versions (though I suppose some might like the collector value.) Casual fans won't care about the differences between the two versions. I'm in neither category but as a film purist I'd like to see the originals.

This is guaranteed to be a huge seller so I don't buy Lucas' argument about the money spent on restorations.

I probably won't buy unless I could get it for at least 50% off retail (I imagine this will cost $100+.) I still like Star Wars but it's not a priority anymore.

I wonder if Fox is going to DVNR the original trilogy. I'd assume there would be a lot of Star Wars fans in the "anti-film grain" camp.

Some new Criterion news from Blu-ray.com:

...(on Nov. 16th) the long-rumored *The Night of the Hunter* (Charles Laughton, 1955) will hit shelves, along with *Modern Times* (Charles Chaplin, 1936). And last but not least, on November 23, Criterion will release *America Lost and Found: The BBS Story,* a six-disc box set compiling seven films from the innovative New Hollywood of the late 1960s and early 1970s (Head, Five Easy Pieces, Easy Rider, Drive He Said, A Safe Place, and The Last Picture Show).

Night of the Hunter, Modern Times, and America Lost and Found will also appear on DVD but America is due to come out about three weeks after the Blu-ray release..

Here are some highlights of extras:

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER:

Audio commentary featuring assistant director Terry Sanders, film critic F. X. Feeney, archivist Robert Gitt, and author Preston Neal Jones

Charles Laughton Directs "The Night of the Hunter," a two-and-a-half-hour archival treasure trove of outtakes from the film

New documentary featuring interviews with producer Paul Gregory, Sanders, Jones, and author Jeffrey Couchman

New video interview with Simon Callow, author of Charles Laughton: A Difficult Actor

Clip from The Ed Sullivan Show, in which cast members perform live a scene that was deleted from the film

Fifteen-minute episode of the BBC show Moving Pictures about the film

Archival interview with cinematographer Stanley Cortez

Gallery of sketches by author Davis Grubb

New video conversation between Gitt and film critic Leonard Maltin about Charles Laughton Directs "The Night of the Hunter"

Original theatrical trailer

A booklet featuring essays by critics Terrence Rafferty and Michael Sragow

MODERN TIMES

New audio commentary by Chaplin biographer David Robinson

Two new visual essays, by Chaplin historians John Bengtson and Jeffrey Vance

New program on the film's visual and sound effects, with experts Craig Barron and Ben Burtt

Interview from 1992 with Modern Times music arranger David Raksin

Chaplin Today: "Modern Times" (2004), a half-hour program with filmmakers Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne

Two segments removed from the film

Three theatrical trailers

All at Sea (1933), a home movie by Alistair Cooke featuring Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, and Cooke, plus a new score by Donald Sosin and a new interview with Cooke's daughter, Susan Cooke Kittredge

The Rink (1916), a Chaplin two-reeler highlighting his skill on wheels

For the First Time (1967), a Cuban documentary short about a projectionist who shows Modern Times to first-time moviegoers

A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Saul Austerlitz and a piece by film scholar Lisa Stein that includes excerpts from Chaplin's writing about his travels in 1931 and 1932

More classics coming on Blu:

For Nov. 2nd, Paramount will be releasing *White Christmas* on Blu-ray.

Extras:

Commentary by Rosemary Clooney

Backstage Stories from White Christmas (in HD)

Rosemary's Old Kentucky Home (in HD)

Bing Crosby: Christmas Crooner (in HD)

Danny Kaye: Joy to the World (in HD)

Irving Berlin's White Christmas (in HD)

White Christmas: From Page to Stage (in HD)

White Christmas: A Look Back with Rosemary Clooney

Two theatrical trailers (in HD)

Plus, more news about *The Bridge on the River Kwai* on Blu. There will be a Collector's Edition that will have include a 32-page book with photos and stories from the 1957 souvenir book, and replicas of original lobby cards.

All-new special features include:

Never-before-released archival footage of The Steve Allen Show with William Holden

William Holden-narrated Premiere audio with photos

Graphics-in-Picture track: Crossing the Bridge

4920697160_2083c36483_z.jpg

And to cap this all, Warners has announced that they are working on Blu releases of Stanley Kubrick's *Lolita* and *Barry Lyndon*, likely for 2011.

*Bridge on the River Kwai Blu-ray Announced*

Posted August 23, 2010

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has officially announced The Bridge on the River Kwai on a Collector's Edition Blu-ray/DVD set, with a release date of November 2. This WWII classic, winner of seven Academy Awards, has received a 4K restoration from the original negatives, with newly-restored 5.1 audio.

The near-final restoration was recently shown at the Plaza Classic Film Festival in El Paso, Texas, and will be shown at the London Film Festival in October. Grover Crisp, Sony senior VP for restoration and mastering, spoke about Kwai with El Paso Times. Crisp said that the restoration gives back to the film "its original 2:55:1 aspect ratio," as the film had been "cropped and changed to 2:35:1 shortly after CinemaScope started." Crisp added: "That's another kind of little joy I think in doing something like this. We get to see it the way they actually shot it."

The gift set includes a 32-page book with photos and stories from the 1957 souvenir book, and replicas of original lobby cards.

All-new special features include:

Never-before-released archival footage of The Steve Allen Show with William Holden

William Holden-narrated Premiere audio with photos

Graphics-in-Picture track: Crossing the Bridge

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5025

Geez, CK, will you please STOP feeding off of my stuff. You are doing it all the time.

I just announced the same details below yours about Bridge on the River Kwai (and it came from the same source - if you took the time to read the text you would see that it matches. I just left off the puffery part of the piece because people don't want to read all that.)

I swear, if you ever had an original thought, it would die of loneliness.