Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is not official news from Universal, but Blu-ray.com is saying that according to retailer information, the following are coming to high def (I'll list all 15, even though it is the ones I've bolded that are the classics we love):

*American Graffiti*

Babe

A Beautiful Mind

Billy Madison

*The Birds*

Blue Crush

The Blues Brothers

Dazed and Confused

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Happy Gilmore

National Lampoon's Animal House

Out of Sight

Ray

*To Kill a Mockingbird*

No dates are set.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5266

Fox is at it again with another huge box set for the holidays...

from digitalbits.com:

And for the ?ber-collector, Fox has set a massive Fox 75th Anniversary Giftset for DVD release on 12/7 (SRP $499.98), containing 3 volumes of discs (broken by time period: 1935-1960, 1961-1985 and 1986-2010) and a total 75 films in all, representing (nearly) every significant film or franchise released in the history of the studio. It also includes a pretty elaborate book and a slipcase. Here's the complete list of films, for those who may be interested...

VOLUME ONE - 1935-1960 (22 films) - Cavalcade, Steamboat Around the Bend, The Little Princess, The Grapes of Wrath, Blood and Sand, How Green was My Valley, The Ox-Bow Incident, The Song of Bernadette, Laura, Gentlemen's Agreement, Miracle on 34th Street, Twelve O'Clock High, All About Eve, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951), Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, The Robe, The Seven Year Itch, The King and I, Love Me Tender, An Affair to Remember, South Pacific and The Diary of Anne Frank.

VOLUME TWO - 1961-1985 (23 films) - The Hustler, The Longest Day, Cleopatra, Zorba the Greek, The Sound of Music, Fantastic Voyage, The Sand Pebbles, Planet of the Apes, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, Hello Dolly, M*A*S*H, Patton, The French Connection, The Poseidon Adventure, Phantom of the Paradise, Young Frankenstein, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Omen, Star Wars, Alien, All That Jazz, Norma Rae and Cocoon

VOLUME THREE - 1986-2010 (30 films) - Raising Arizona, Wall Street, Big, Die Hard, Working Girl, Home Alone, The Last of the Mohicans, Mrs. Doubtfire, Speed, Waiting to Exhale, The Crucible, Independence Day, The Full Monty, There's Something About Mary, Boys Don't Cry, Cast Away, X-Men, Moulin Rouge, Ice Age, Minority Report, Master and Commander, Sideways, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Walk the Line, The Devil Wears Prada, Little Miss Sunshine, Night at the Museum, Juno, Slumdog Millionaire and Avatar

Here's what the expanded packaging looks like (you can pre-order the title at Amazon.com now by clicking on the image and you'll get 25% off for a sale price of just $374.99)...

5061223396_d1ef3810b4_z.jpg

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> from digitalbits.com:

>

> And for the ?ber-collector, Fox has set a massive Fox 75th Anniversary Giftset for DVD release on 12/7 (SRP $499.98), containing 3 volumes of discs (broken by time period: 1935-1960, 1961-1985 and 1986-2010) and a total 75 films in all, representing (nearly) every significant film or franchise released in the history of the studio. It also includes a pretty elaborate book and a slipcase. Here's the complete list of films, for those who may be interested...

>

> http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

"(Nearly) every significant film or franchise released in the history of the studio"? Oh, come on, a cursory glance at the first set doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what Fox has.

Cavalcade and Steamboat aren't even "20th Century Fox" films, it was still Fox Film Corporation at the time, so if they're going to break a 75th anniversary rule and not include even Sunrise among their many great silents...

Instead of this pointless set they should be releasing more classics on Blu-ray.

it looks like Sony is delaying the Rita Hayworth collection (again), Amazon has dropped pre-orders and the release date, now it just says: "Currently unavailable. Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available"

Tying in to the release iof the new True Grit in theaters, Paramount is releasing the original on Blu-ray on Dec. 14.

Extras will include:

Commentary by Jeb Rosebrook, Bob Boze Bell and J. Stuart Rosebrook

True Writing

Working with the Duke

Aspen Gold: Locations of True Grit

The Law and The Lawless

Theatrical Trailer

*"(Nearly) every significant film or franchise released in the history of the studio"? Oh, come on, a cursory glance at the first set doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what Fox has.*

*Cavalcade and Steamboat aren't even "20th Century Fox" films, it was still Fox Film Corporation at the time, so if they're going to break a 75th anniversary rule and not include even Sunrise among their many great silents...*

*Instead of this pointless set they should be releasing more classics on Blu-ray.*

So what will Fox release on Blu-Ray . . . this pointless set! What we need to encourage is for more NEVER_BEFORE RELEASED titles on DVD to be put out . . . Blu Ray will just feature the tried and true, not anything else.

Another new technology you insist they release in will decrease the pool of what they'll release, as they retrench and cut back.

I don't need my black and white classics to have the graininess erased out by the smoothness of Blu-Ray, regular DVD is good enough.

Edited by: Arturo on Oct 12, 2010 8:13 PM

Ouch, Arturo, bitter.

Besides there are flaws in your thinking:

A lot of fans of Blu-rays insist on studios retaining graininess.

And like many others who have not gotten into Blu, it seems you believe the reason studios aren't issuing more classic DVDs is because they are putting their money into Blu. That's not true, DVDs were dying before Blu came along. Blu is helping to fill in losses of revenue.

As to the tried and true being released on Blu...sure, some popular titles will make it, but check out Criterion, for example. They come out with some obscure titles now on both DVD and Blu. Eureka has released Sunrise and City Girl on Blu (not exactly what one would think of for converting to Blu, and they look better that DVDs. Do you have a problem with that?).

It looks like you have dug your heels in hard about Blu. That would be a shame.

Fox provided the masters for both of these outstanding Blu releases...

City Girl - http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews49/city_girl_blu-ray.htm

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews49/city_girl_blu-ray/large/large_city_girl_blu-ray4.jpg

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews49/city_girl_blu-ray/large/large_city_girl_blu-ray13.jpg

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews49/city_girl_blu-ray/large/large_city_girl_blu-ray15.jpg

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews49/city_girl_blu-ray/large/large_city_girl_blu-ray17.jpg

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews49/city_girl_blu-ray/large/large_city_girl_blu-ray18.jpg

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews49/city_girl_blu-ray/large/large_city_girl_blu-ray19.jpg

Bigger Than Life (Never released on home video in America before this year) - http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdreviews19/bigger_then_life_dvd_review.htm

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews49/bigger_than_life_blu-ray/large/large_bigger_than_life_blu-raysubs.jpg

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews49/bigger_than_life_blu-ray/large/large_bigger_than_life_blu-ray2.jpg

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews49/bigger_than_life_blu-ray/large/large_bigger_than_life_blu-ray3.jpg

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews49/bigger_than_life_blu-ray/large/large_bigger_than_life_blu-ray6.jpg

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews49/bigger_than_life_blu-ray/large/large_bigger_than_life_blu-ray5z.jpg

Other Fox films released by Eureka/MOC and Criterion on Blu-ray are equally stunning.

If Fox released all of the films in this 75th anniversary package on Blu-ray instead (at least the first set anyway) I would be absolutely pleased. This is what they need to do.

Fox could be doing amazing work with catalog titles on Blu-ray. If Fox loans out their more obscure properties to companies like Eureka/MOC or Criterion, or release MOD DVDs, and press only the popular canon titles on their own that's fine by me because this format needs to be supported. Fox may have flubbed some of their Blus (such as Patton) but their genuine classics on DVD seem to be untouched (such as the Ford at Fox set.) It's unlikely that they would DVNR and edge enhance the crap out of a Blu-ray of All About Eve. How Green Was My Valley would look mind blowing on Blu-ray (any John Ford would.) I demand that they spend their money releasing that on Blu-ray instead of stuffing it into this redundant, over-priced, pointless package. This 75th anniversary package simply prevents them from jump starting the necessary shift to Blu-ray.

The most popular of the canon always comes first. This is exactly what happened with VHS, Laserdisc, and DVD. Financially it makes sense so it's silly to blame Blu-ray for a problem that has existed since the early video formats developed. For Blu-ray it will be an even more difficult uphill battle getting any classics on the format because of how the public perceives older films in general and their maddening misconceptions about the point of even releasing those films on the format in particular ("What?!! They didn't have HD back then!"). It appears Fox will be starting a manufacture on demand service like Warner's and Sony's in the future. This has its pros and cons but it does at least mean we will keep getting more obscure films on home video. I think we have to accept that this is a necessary development. Blu-ray will always support DVD, so the studios have flexibility in releasing their catalog on video if they keep these options available.

Blu-ray will last for a long time. The nature of the format, its versatility and technological malleability, as well as prospects of any TV resolution jumps in the near future (completely unlikely), and the non-feasibility/sustainability of quality digital downloads, will keep it in the market place for many years.

Edited by: JonasEB on Oct 13, 2010 1:44 AM

*The most popular of the canon always comes first. This is exactly what happened with VHS, Laserdisc, and DVD. Financially it makes sense so it's silly to blame Blu-ray for a problem that has existed since the early video formats developed. For Blu-ray it will be an even more difficult uphill battle getting any classics on the format because of how the public perceives older films in general and their maddening misconceptions about the point of even releasing those films on the format in particular ("What?!! They didn't have HD back then!"). It appears Fox will be starting a manufacture on demand service like Warner's and Sony's in the future. This has its pros and cons but it does at least mean we will keep getting more obscure films on home video. I think we have to accept that this is a necessary development. Blu-ray will always support DVD, so the studios have flexibility in releasing their catalog on video if they keep these options available.*

*Blu-ray will last for a long time. The nature of the format, its versatility and technological malleability, as well as prospects of any TV resolution jumps in the near future (completely unlikely), and the non-feasibility/sustainability of quality digital downloads, will keep it in the market place for many years.*

Yes Blu Ray is here to stay. But with each successive technological innovation, LESS and LESS classic titles are released. The wholesale releases made over the years on VHS were not replicated to the same extent on DVD, with many fans STILL struggling to get many titles released in this format. With the cutting back on the classic film departments as sales sag (Fox being a prime example), along with a new competing technology, of course the studio will go where it perceives there will be money, namely, those classic films (SUNSET BLVD, CASABLANCA, etc.) that have been released multiple times in 40 anniversary, 45 anniversary, 50 anniversary, etc. editions. This will surely squeeze out the vast majority of titles never before released in ANY format, along with many that were released in VHS (but not necessarily in DVD) due to sales levels that the studio is not willing to replicate (i.e. less than what they'd hoped for). So between some lesser known Fox film from the 30s or 40s in regular VHS (say KIDNAPPED, SWANEE RIVER or LIFE BEGINS AT 8:30), or the umpteenth release of ALL ABOUT EVE in Blu-Ray, I'm definitely in favor of the former.

Delving more into PQ, Arturo, you might like to check out the ones comparing the Psycho DVD vs. the new Blu. How can anyone object to having a much clearer picture? Some people say, who cares if I can make out each blade of grass? Yes, sure, but if you can make out each blade of grass, imagine how much clearer each person is on screen.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare6/psycho.htm

And again, per your post below, it still sounds in a way that you blame a new tech quality for taking away studios releasing more old classics. I'm not sure where it was, but I think somewhere way back on the message board, there was some piece on George Feltenstein that of WB talking about how expensive it is to do an old film and how many minimum copies they have to produce for a regular DVD release. It might have been in the announcement of the WB Archive series. It would be great if we could access every movie ever made but somebody has to pay for that at the very beginning in terms of cleaning up trhe print they have (while it may have been good enough for VHS, it isn't for DVD). Plus so many films have probably detiorated even in a decade. Of course it comes down to money, and WB is a business first and foremost, not a charity. But they are more out there in terms of getting products to us. But that is because they have a great staff who knows the products. Places like Universal and the like...forget about it. It never ceases to amaze me at yet another DVD release of Dirty Dancing.

We all want classic movies to be available. Me, I get upset when I see Criterion issuing some classic film on DVD only. Why? Because I have Blu-ray? No. It's because I know that with a Blu release, it would be the best image possible, and that;s what I want. If you have a choice between the studio issuing a title in VHS or DVD, which would you go for? DVD, I would expect because it would be a better image and better sound.

And there is one more thing you need to keep in mind about what they decide to release: new movies. It's been about 10 years since DVD came on the scene and VHS started its demise. How many hundreds (thousands?) of new films have made their way to the theaters and then onto home video. If you are a supermarket and customers want steak the most, you pushes your resources to that. You may get ahead enough to provide a small section off to the side for the upper class tastes, but you really have to keep your eye on the steak market because that will affect how much longer you can afford to put resources into the smaller section. And lest we forget studios are basically all owned by the stockholders, not the creative people in charge, and the stockholders don't know Mandingo from Mogambo. They just want the most money on their return. They don't want to see their money going into something that will lose them money.

So there's a clearer print in CASABLANCA and I can see Bogie and Raines walk into the fog more clearly. . . which means resources that made this possible were not available to finally have a release on DVD for FIVE STAR FINAL or whatever. I have DVD copies of CASABLANCA, and while the best possible version is always best, my DVD copies are good enough, especially if it means foregoing something never out on DVD that I might want to have.

New Criterion info:

After a quiet December, Criterion will kick off the New Year with renewed energy, as five very varied titles have been announced for Blu-ray release in January. On January 11, *Army of Shadows* (L'arm?e des ombres; Jean-Pierre Melville, 1969) and *Robinson Crusoe on Mars* (Byron Haskin, 1964). A week later, the studio will release two films by maverick director Samuel Fuller: *Shock Corridor* (1963) and *The Naked Kiss* (1964). And finally, on January 25, *Broadcast News* (James L. Brooks, 1987) will hit shelves.

Extras:

*Army of Shadows*

Audio commentary featuring film historian Ginette Vincendeau

Interviews with Pierre Lhomme and editor Fran?oise Bonnot

On-set footage and excerpts from archival interviews with director Jean-Pierre Melville, cast members, writer Joseph Kessel, and real-life Resistance fighters

Jean-Pierre Melville et 'L'arm?e des ombres' (2002): a short program on the director and his film

Le journal de la R?sistance (1944): a rare short documentary shot on the front lines during the final days of German-occupied France

Film restoration demonstration by Lhomme

Theatrical trailers

A booklet featuring essays by critic Amy Taubin and historian Robert O. Paxton, as well as excerpts from Rui Nogueira's Melville on Melville

*Broadcast News*

New audio commentary featuring James L. Brooks and Richard Marks

New documentary on Brooks's career in television and film, featuring actors Marilu Henner (Taxi) and Julie Kavner (Rhoda, The Simpsons) and several other of Brooks's collaborators

Deleted scenes and an alternate ending, with commentary by Brooks

New video interview with veteran CBS news producer Susan Zirinsky, one of the models for actress Holly Hunter's character and an associate producer on the film

Featurette containing on-set footage and interviews with Brooks, Hunter, and actor Albert Brooks

Original theatrical trailer

A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Carrie Rickey

*The Naked Kiss*

New video interview with star Constance Towers by film historian and filmmaker Charles Dennis

Excerpts from a 1983 episode of the BBC's The South Bank Show dedicated to director Samuel Fuller

Interview with Fuller from a 1967 episode of the French television series Cin?astes de notre temps

Interview with Fuller from a 1987 episode of the French television series

Cin?ma cin?mas

Illustrations by cartoonist Daniel Clowes (Eightball, Ghost World) and a booklet featuring an essay by critic and poet Robert Polito and excerpts from Fuller's autobiography, A Third Face: My Tale of Writing, Fighting, and Filmmaking

*Robinson Crusoe on Mars*

Audio commentary featuring screenwriter Ib Melchior, actors Paul Mantee and Victor Lundin, production designer Al Nozaki, Oscar-winning special effects designer and Robinson Crusoe on Mars historian Robert Skotak, and excerpts from a 1979 audio interview with director Byron Haskin

Destination Mars, a video featurette by filmmaker and space historian Michael Lennick detailing the science behind the film

Music video: Victor Lundin, "Robinson Crusoe on Mars"

Stills gallery

Theatrical trailer

A booklet featuring an essay by Lennick as well as Melchior's "Brief Yargorian Vocabulary" (a glossary of original alien dialect) and a list of facts about Mars, both from his original screenplay

*Shock Corridor*

New video interview with star Constance Towers by film historian and filmmaker Charles Dennis

The Typewriter, the Rifle and the Movie Camera, Adam Simon's 1996 documentary on director Samuel Fuller

Illustrations by cartoonist Daniel Clowes (Eightball, Ghost World) and a booklet featuring an essay by critic and poet Robert Polito and excerpts from Fuller's autobiography, A Third Face: My Tale of Writing, Fighting, and Filmmaking

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5312

Also coming from Criterion:

*Eclipse Series 25*: *Basil Dearden's London Underground Streets* on DVD on 1/25/11 (SRP $59.95), featuring the films **Sapphire, League of Gentlemen, Victim* and *All Night Long.*

This is an excellent set of once was considered controversial British films.

I'm hoping my Borders carries the Rita Hayworth box set. They have been giving out "40% off" coupons with regularity plus I'll probably have Borders Bucks (five dollars) to use in January. That will get the box set down to almost 50% off.