Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I saw that Losey's 1951 THE PROWLER is being announced for an early-January 2011 release as a commercial DVD. Wow. That was pretty quick! It's probably been in a restored-state for 6-7 months by now, on TCM two months ago, and generated a lot of good comments here.

I wish I thought our comments actually did spur such developments, but I'm sure the restoration had to hope for a commercial release at some point, if not pre-project entirely.

Hi. It seemed to be a good time to ressurect the individual threads that were set up when I helped get this Forum created. We are getting so many threads being started for so many things that could all be in one place that it makes it hard to find anything.

Keeping within a theme thread makes the Classic Film DVD Reviews Forum a much neater place and better organized.. Thanks.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> Three classic releases from WB: *Singin' in the Rain, Camelot*, and *Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?* But not until 2012! Singin' will have its 60th anniversary then, Camelot its 45th, and Baby Jane its 50th.

*YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!*

Oops, forgot to mention these were Blu releases. I don' know if there will be a DVD release at that time for each because on Dec. 31st, 2010 they are putting a moratorium on the the three titles' DVD releases in order to build interest.

I mentioned awhile back tht Disney is releasing Bambi. Well, it looks like Disney is going all out on it...

From blu-ray.com:

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has officially announced and detailed the Blu-ray release of Bambi, which as previously reported (see Blu-ray.com, November 5) will come out in a Diamond Edition BD/DVD pack on March 1, 2011. This will be the first Disney BD with the new "Second Screen" technology, which according to the studio "will further transform the at-home movie watching experience by empowering viewers with the ability to engage with film content on multiple media platforms and bring them to life in their own hands at the touch of a button."

By simply downloading the new Disney Second Screen App onto an internet-connected computer or iPad and synching it to the movie, consumers will instantly be able to dive deeper into the film by engaging with fun interactive elements like animated flipbooks, galleries, photos, trivia and more.

Complete special features include:

-Inside Walt's Story Meetings-Enhanced Edition (new): A multi-tiered, interactive story-telling experience. Go back in time with dramatic voice re-enactments of the moments with Walt that led to the creation of this classic film.

-Two never-before-seen deleted scenes (new)

-Deleted song: "Twitterpated" (new)

-Blu-ray Galleries (new)

-Disney's Big Book of Knowledge: Bambi Edition (new)? An interactive educational gaming experience that uses the film as a learning tool. Players can customize their own Big Book of Knowledge and learn all about forest creatures, seasons and more. Each time a player completes a task, they are rewarded with new stickers to decorate their Big Book of Knowledge.

-The Making of 'Bambi': A Prince Is Born? A comprehensive look at the making of Bambi covers the story, the characters, the actors, the art design, the music and the history of Walt Disney's classic film using behind the scenes footage, production stills, animation, artwork and multiple interviews with performers and behind the scenes participants.

-Tricks of the Trade (excerpt)? In an episode from the 1957 Disneyland TV show, Walt narrates the story of the multiplane camera, an animation innovation crucial to the production of Bambi.

-Inside the Disney Archives? Disney Supervising Animator Andreas Deja guides viewers through Disney's Animation Research Library, where artwork from past Disney animated feature films is stored, including early story sketches of Bobo the rabbit," (who became Thumper), glass paintings made for the multiplane camera and more.

-The Old Mill? Winner of the 1937 Academy Award for Best Short Subject/Cartoon, The Old Mill was a testing ground for several techniques critical to Walt's artistic vision for Bambi, including the multiplane camera, animating realistic animals and experimenting with such natural occurrences such as wind, rain and lightning.

-DisneyPedia: Bambi's Forest Friends

Upon reading the review I canceled my pre-order for this film. The images looks way too soft. I would not be satisfied with this print and prefer to pass until a better print comes along. VCI is hit and miss with their releases. The company was supposed to release NEW FACES, but it seems they pulled the plug for now since the print quality was not good. What is available from Critics Choice is horrendous.

Ha ha, better let people know you are talking about *Meet John Doe*, not Bambi.

Anyway, here is some new DVD release info:

Olive Films will release the Danny Kaye film, *On the Double*, on March 8, 2011. No extras.

The same day, they will issue *No Limits*, starring Bob Hope and Mickey Rooney. No extras known at this time.

5249691709_f8956bdbe7.jpg

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> First review is in for VCI's "remastered" Meet John Doe...and it isn't good:

>

> http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/dvd_reviews53/meet_john_doe.htm

>

> I'm quite disappointed. I would really love for there to be a great print of it some day.

Filmlover, that's too bad! Thanks for the link to the review, as I had this one in my Amazon queue for consideration. The extras still look great....decisions, decisions!

New Criterion titles:

Mar. 15:

*Au revoir les enfants* - on Blu-ray (already available on DVD)

*Yi Yi* - on Blu-ray (already available on DVD)

Mar. 22:

*The Times of Harvey Milk* - on DVD and Blu-ray

Mar. 29:

*The Mikado* (1939) - on DVD and Blu-ray

*Topsy-Turvy* - on DVD and Blu-ray - on DVD and Blu-ray

Extras:

_Au revoir les enfants_

Video interviews with biographer Pierre Billard and actress Candice Bergen, director Louis Malle's widow

Joseph: A Character Study ? a profile of the provocative character from Au revoir les enfants

The Immigrant: Charlie Chaplin's 1917 short comedy, featured in the film

Audio excerpts from a 1988 AFI interview with Malle

Original theatrical trailer and teaser

A booklet featuring essays by film critic Philip Kemp and historian Francis J. Murphy

_The Mikado_

New video interview with Topsy-Turvy director Mike Leigh on The Mikado and its adaptation for the screen

New video interview with Mikado scholars Josephine Lee and Ralph MacPhail Jr., tracing the 1939 filmed version of the opera back to its 1885 stage debut

Short silent film promoting the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company's 1926 stage performance of The Mikado

A booklet featuring an essay by critic Geoffrey O'Brien

_The Times of Harvey Milk_

Audio commentary featuring director Robert Epstein, coeditor Deborah Hoffmann, and photographer Daniel Nicoletta

New interview with documentary filmmaker and UC Berkeley professor Jon Else

New program about The Times of Harvey Milk and Gus Van Sant's Milk, featuring Epstein, Van Sant, actor James Franco, and Milk friends Cleve Jones, Anne Kronenberg, and Nicoletta

Postscript containing interview clips not used in the film

Rare collection of audio and video recordings of Harvey Milk

Interview excerpts from Epstein's research tapes

Footage from the film's Castro Theatre premiere and the 1984 Academy Awards ceremony

Panel discussion on Supervisor Dan White's controversial trial

Excerpts from the twenty-fifth anniversary commemoration of Milk's and Mayor George Moscone's assassinations

Original theatrical trailer

A booklet featuring an essay by film critic B. Ruby Rich, a tribute by Milk's nephew Stuart Milk, and a piece on the film's restoration by the UCLA Film and Television Archive's Ross Lipman

_Topsy-Turvy_

Audio commentary featuring director Mike Leigh

New video conversation between Leigh and the film's musical director, Gary Yershon

A Sense of History: Leigh's 1992 short film written by and starring actor Jim Broadbent

Deleted scenes

Featurette from 1999 including interviews with Leigh, stars Broadbent and Allan Corduner, and other cast members

Theatrical trailer and TV spots

PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Amy Taubin

Yi Yi

Audio commentary by writer-director Edward Yang and Asian-cinema critic Tony Rayns

Video interview with Rayns about Yang and the New Taiwan Cinema movement

US theatrical trailer

A booklet featuring an essay by film writer Kent Jones and notes from the director

The most important and interesting March Criterion wasn't mentioned - Eclipse Series 26 - Silent Naruse. Criterion have been criticized for holding back on some of their most important Japanese holdings, particularly Mikio Naruse and Kenji Mizoguchi films. This was completely unexpected. It includes all five of Naruse's existing silent films. This set is a definite must buy for me.

Great to hear King of Kings is coming to Blu-ray soon!

> {quote:title=JonasEB wrote:}{quote}

> The most important and interesting March Criterion wasn't mentioned - Eclipse Series 26 - Silent Naruse. Criterion have been criticized for holding back on some of their most important Japanese holdings, particularly Mikio Naruse and Kenji Mizoguchi films. This was completely unexpected. It includes all five of Naruse's existing silent films. This set is a definite must buy for me.

>

> Great to hear King of Kings is coming to Blu-ray soon!

I"m glad to hear that there will be more Japanese silents being released. I bought the Silent Ozu set a couple of years ago and really enjoyed them. Silent Naruse should be an interesting set .