Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Amazon has a sale on several Criterion titles. You pretty much have to search through various titles in order to spot the bargains, but here are some

Sweet Smell of Success DVD $17.99 Blu-ray $18.49

America Lost & Found DVD 41.99 Blu 52.99

Seventh Seal: DVD 14.49 Blu 17.99

Red Shoes: DVD $17.99 Blu 18.49

Amazon has a sale on several Criterion titles. You pretty much have to search through various titles in order to spot the bargains, but here are some

Sweet Smell of Success DVD $17.99 Blu-ray $18.49

America Lost & Found DVD 41.99 Blu 52.99

Seventh Seal DVD 14.49 Blu 17.99

Red Shoes DVD $17.99 Blu 18.49

8 1/2 DVD 18.49 Blu 17.49

Breathless DVD 17.99 Blu 17.49

Two things of note for Blu-ray

Dumbo will be released on Sept. 20th

And there was a New York Times article that mentioned five Marx Bros. movies are coming to Blu-ray:

On June 7 the Marx Brothers? campaign to destroy any semblance of sanity of order reaches Blu-ray, as their early comedies ? ?The Cocoanuts,? ?Animal Crackers,? ?Duck Soup,? ?Monkey Business? and ?Horse Feathers? ? are released. And you can?t get them unless you say ?swordfish? (see ?Horse Feathers?).

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/movies/summer-dvd-releases.html?pagewanted=2&_r=4

Here's a rarity:

Twilight Films, a specialty label which focuses on releasing vintage 20th Century Fox films previously unavailable on DVD, have revealed that they are planning to release on Blu-ray Michael Curtiz's *The Egyptian* (1954), starring Jean Simmons (Hamlet, Spartacus), Gene Tierney (Heaven Can Wait, Laura), Victor Mature (Samson and Delilah), and Edmund Purdom (The King's Thief). In 1942, Michael Curtiz won Oscar for Best Director for the timeless Casablanca.

Blu-ray special features include:

Isolated score by Bernard Herrmann and Alfred Newman

Audio commentary by film historians Alain Silver and James Ursini

Street date for The Egyptian is July 12th.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6335

I know, that's the way I felt.

And here is one of the pictures from Amazon of what is in the set:

(Gad, I miss when we could do pictures bigger.)

5715102541_e957f376c5.jpg

The set:

Warner's long awaited Citizen Kane: 70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu-ray is now available for pre-order on Amazon.com. In fact, Amazon appears to have an EXCLUSIVE offer for the BD set bundled with a DVD edition of Orson Welles' The Magnificent Ambersons. The SRP is $79.98 but Amazon has it for just $55.99. According to the back of its DVD cover art, Ambersons appears to be the existing 88-minute version. The package also includes the excellent RKO 281, lots of paperwork (including replica documents and poster art cards) and a collector's book.

http://digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

I pre-ordered since Amazon dropped the price of this set to $49.95. Looks like its a better buy than the stand alone CITIZEN KANE.

filmlover, I tried calling the WB site again about my problems and they won't take any kind of coupons that you might have over the phone. Customer service is pretty hopeless at the site too. So looks like I am going to pass on ordering anything else from this site until or unless they straighten the credit card problem out. I spend too much money on Blu Ray/DVD's so I will save myself a bundle if I avoid this site. $19.95 is just too much to spend on a DVD-R.

August Criterions

New titles...

The Complete Jean Vigo (A Propos de Nice, Taris, Zero de Conduite, L'Atalante)

Cul-de-sac

The Killing (with Killer's Kiss)

Secret Sunshine (I've heard a lot about this. Can't wait to check it out.)

Eclipse 28: Koreyoshi Kurahara (Intimidation, The Warped Ones, I Hate But Love, Black Sun, Thirst for Love)

Updates of...

Battle of Algiers

Orpheus

If....

Whole lotta stuff here. Sixteen films!

Hi, Jonas,

It should be noted That Battle of Algiers and If... are not DVD updates. They are not releasing new ones of that on DVD in August. Those are still the same editions as before. What they are releasing in August are Blu-rays of those titles.

Orpheus is new to Blu and single-release DVD (it had been available in a boxset before).

All will be available on DVD and Blu-ray except Koreyoshi, which is on DVD only.

Updated details about the Blu-ray version of The Stunt Man coming out on June 7th:

Audio Commentary with writer/director Richard Rush and stars Peter O'Toole, Steve Railsback, Barbara Hershey, Alex Rocco, Sharon Farrell, & Chuck Bail

The Sinister Saga Of The Making Of The Stunt Man ? Feature length documentary by Richard Rush

The Maverick Career Of Richard Rush - Exclusive new featurette

Peter O'Toole Recounts The Stunt Man - Exclusive new featurette

Devil's Squadron - Exclusive new featurette with Steve Railsback and Alex Rocco

Barbara Hershey On Nina Franklin - Exclusive new featurette

The Stunt Man At The New Beverly - Blu-ray exclusive

Theatrical trailers

Deleted scenes

Of interest are the following two titles due to be released from Olive films. Both licensed from Paramount.:

*- Twilight?s Last Gleaming* (NEWLY RESTORED IN HD) (1977) Directed by Robert Aldrich ? Starring Burt Lancaster, Richard Widmark, Joseph Cotten, Charles Durning, Melvyn Douglas, Burt Young, Paul Winfield

*- Fedora* (1978) (NEWLY RESTORED IN HD) Directed by Billy Wilder ? Starring William Holden, Marthe Keller, Jose Ferrer, Henry Fonda, Michael York

Best Buy has several new Blu-ray exclusives. The ones that are of interest here would be Midnight Cowboy and The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (the original one), at $9.99 each right now (the price will soon go back to $14.99).

from blu-ray.com:

In an early announcement to retailers, Kino Video have revealed that they will release on Blu-ray and DVD Russian director Sergei Eisenstein's Stachka a.k.a Strike (1925). Newly remastered. Street date is August 30th. (There has already been a DVD release of it, but this will be remastered.)

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6567

(There has already been a DVD release of it, but this will be remastered.)

Also on the Soviet front, Kino is releasing The Cigarette Girl of Mosselprom on DVD on the same day.

Optimum Home Entertainmnt in the UK will release two British classics on Blu-ray...

*Went the Day Well* July 18th

*The Lavender Hill Mob 60th Anniversary* August 1 (also on DVD)

Uncertain at this time if they will be region free.

Edited by: filmlover on Jun 3, 2011 3:47 AM

Due July 19 from VCI more British films:

*Ferry to Hong Kong* (1959) - Orson Welles, Curd Jurgens, Sylvia Syms, Jeremy Spenser, Noel Purcell

*Robbery Under Arms* (1957) - Peter Finch, Ronald Lewis, Laurence Naismith, David McCallum

*Penny Princess* (1952) - Dirk Bogarde, Yolande Donlan.

*Simba* (1955) - Dirk Bogarde, Donald Sinden, Virginia McKenna, Basil Sydney, Marie Ney