Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, thank goodness, I can *finally* reveal the last bit of upciming Blu-ray information I learned when I (and others) had that chance some time back to lunch with George Feltenstein at Warner Bros.:

*The great Warner Bros. cartoons are coming to Blu-ray!*

It has been announced through the San Diego Comic Con program schedule.

Thursday, July 21

+3:00-4:00 Classic Warner Bros./Hanna-Barbera Cartoons Going Blu-ray— Animation historian Jerry Beck and Warner Archives' George Feltenstein lead a panel of renowned animation and restoration experts, including Spike Brandt (The Looney Tunes Show), Tony Cervone (The Looney Tunes Show), and Paul Dini (Lost, Tower Prep), in presenting and discussing selected vintage cartoons from {color:royalblue}Warner Home Video's fall 2011 Blu-ray release of the newly remastered Tom and Jerry Golden Collection and *Looney Tunes Platinum Collections.*

The 1962 version of Mutiny on the Bounty is coming to Blu on Nov. 8th.

The extras are

Alternate Prologue and Epilogue Sequences Not Seen Theatrically After the Cameras Stopped Rolling: The Journey of the Bounty (2006 Featurette) 1964 New York World's Fair Promo (Featurette) Story of the HMS Bounty (Featurette) Tour of the Bounty (Featurette) Voyage of the Bounty to St. Petersburg (Featurette) Theatrical Trailer

In addition to the WB panel on the Blu release of Tom & Jerry and the WB cartoons on Thursdaym, the 21st, there is also a panel a few hours later that looks good:

5:00-6:00 2011-2012: The Golden Age of Blu-ray?? With such titles as Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Ben-Hur, Jurassic Park, Jaws, Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia, Titanic, and Raiders of the Lost Ark on the way, could this be Blu-ray's Golden Age? Panelists Bill Hunt, Adam Jahnke, and Todd Doogan of The Digital Bits.com, along with BD producers Charles de Lauzirika (Transformers: Dark of the Moon, The Amazing Spider-Man, Prometheus, Crave) and Cliff Stephenson (Rambo, The Expendables, Crank 2, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance), Warner Home Video's George Feltenstein (senior vice president, theatrical catalog marketing) and othere discuss the subject, hold Q&A, and offer giveaways. Room 5AB

New Criterion titles:

On DVD and Blu-ray

Oct. 11th:

The Four Feathers (1939)

October 18th:

Kuroneko (1968)

Eclipse Series 29: Aki Kaurism?ki?s Leningrad Cowboys (DVD only)

October 25th

Identification of a Woman (1982)

Island of Lost Souls (1932)

Here are extra features for the following:

ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (1932) stars Charles Laughton

Disc Features:

New high-definition digital restoration of the uncut theatrical version (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)

Audio commentary by film historian Gregory Mank, author of Bela Lugosi and Boris

Karloff and Hollywood?s Maddest Doctors

New video conversation among filmmaker John Landis (An American Werewolf in

London), Oscar-winning makeup artist Rick Baker (An American Werewolf in London,

Videodrome), and genre expert Bob Burns

New interviews with horror film historian David J. Skal (The Monster Show: A Cultural

History of Horror); filmmaker Richard Stanley (Hardware, original director of the ill-fated

1996 remake of The Island of Dr. Moreau)

New interviews with Devo founding members Gerald Casale and Mark Mothersbaugh,

whose manifesto is rooted in themes from Island of Lost Souls

Theatrical trailer

PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Christine Smallwood

Edited by: Edgecliff on Jul 15, 2011 8:21 PM

LOL, I held off listing the extras because I thought you didn't care to see them listed.

So, in that case, here are the extras for *The Four Feathers*:

*BONUS FEATURES:*

* Audio commentary by film historian Charles Drazin

* New video interview with David Korda, son of director Zoltán Korda

* A Day at Denham, a short film from 1939 featuring footage of Zoltán Korda on the set \ of The Four Feathers

* Trailer

* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Sragow

Back on May 5th, I mentioned that Twilight FIlms was releasing The Egyptian on Blu and on DVD. It is now available and the Blu reviews are excellent.

The one thing I wanted to mention is that I have discovered is that the DVDs and Blu-rays are limited to a 3,000 print run.

>Here are the extras for The Four Feathers:

>BONUS FEATURES:

>Audio commentary by film historian Charles Drazin

>New video interview with David Korda, son of director Zolt?n Korda

>A Day at Denham, a short film from 1939 featuring footage of Zolt?n Korda on the set of The Four Feathers

>Trailer

>PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Sragow

What...they don't include four feathers?

I don't think we've mentioned this before, but RHI is releasing "Laurel and Hardy - The Essential Collection". This will be a 10-DVD set that will a total of 58 features and shorts. Release date is Oct. 25.

Regretfully, the following is Region B, but oh what a release!!!

Eureka has announced Touch of Evil for Blu-ray. That's great in itself, but look what you get in the limited edition:

Touch of Evil:

LIMITED EDITION 2 X BLU-RAY ONLY

? Six versions of Welles? film: the 1998 reconstruction; the 1958 preview version rediscovered in the mid-1970s; and the 1958 theatrical version ? each presented in both 1.85:1 and 1.37:1 aspect ratios

? English SDH subtitles on all versions

? A host of extras presented for the first time in the UK

? A lavish 80-PAGE illustrated book containing the words of Orson Welles, and much more

Release date: Nov. 14th.

They will also be issuing Silent Running the same day.

Update on the Looney Tunes Blu-ray set...

Warner Bros. Senior VP George Feltenstein announced at a Comic Con panel today that the studio will release the [|http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Looney-Tunes-Platinum-Collection-Volume-One-Blu-ray/26307/] on Blu-ray this November. The panel was moderated by animation historian Jerry Beck, who also broke the news via a blog post on [|http://www.cartoonbrew.com/dvd/looney-tunes-on-blu-ray-the-platinum-collection.html]. The much anticipated release will bring 50 classic Looney Tunes cartoons to high definition.

The Looney Tunes Platinum Collection: Volume One will arrive in two variations, each containing 3 Blu-ray discs. A standard digibook version will retail for $59.96 while an [|http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Looney-Tunes-Platinum-Collection-Volume-One-Blu-ray/26835/] will be available for $79.98. The Ultimate Collector's Edition will include a 52-page color book with rare images and sketches, a character shot glass, souvenier tin magnet and a framed Litho Cel with a certificate of authenticity. These will all be housed in a plastic box with a slipcover. Each Ultimate Collector's Edition box will be numbered for exclusivity.

5963052758_ee4f65a2e8_m.jpg

5962498899_1a7ba86bf5.jpg

Cartoon Brew has provided a preliminary outline of the toons that will be included on the set. These include:

Disc 1:

* Hare Tonic

* Baseball Bugs

* Buccaneer Bunny

* The Old Grey Hare

* Rabbit Hood

* 8 Ball Bunny

* Rabbit of Seville

* What's Opera Doc?

* The Great Piggy Bank Robbery

* A Pest in the House

* The Scarlet Pumpernickle

* Duck Amuck

* Robin Hood Daffy

* Baby Bottleneck

* Kitty Kornered

* Scardy Cat

* Porky Chops

* Old Glory

* A Tale of Two Kitties

* Tweetie Pie

* Fast and Furry-ous

* Beep Beep

* Lovelorn Leghorn

* For Scent-I-Mental Reasons

* Speedy Gonzales

Disc 2:

* One Froggy Evening

* The Three Little Bops

* I Love to Singa

* Katnip Kollege

* The Dover Boys

* From A to ZZZZ

* Chow Hound

* Feed the Kitty

* Hasty Hare

* Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century

* Hareway to the Stars

* Mad as a Mars Hare

* Devil May Hare

* Bedevilled Rabbit

* Ducking the Devil

* Bill of Hare

* Dr. Devil and Mr. Hare

* Bewitched Bunny

* Broomstick Bunny

* Six others to be announced.

A third disc will consist entirely of bonus features. These include:

* Behind-the-Toons featurettes

* Chuck Jones documentaries

* Two all new documentaries on Marvin the Martian and The Tasmanian Devil.

* Bonus cartoons including: Chuck Jones' FDR re-election film, Hell Bent For Election (1942), Air Force re-enlistment film, A Hitch in Time (1955) and Ken Mundie's expressionist anti-war short, The Door (1967).

* More to be announced

Amazon already has the pre-orders up for both versions with a release date of November 15th. These sport a discounted price of $41.99 for the digibook and $55.99 for the Ultimate Collector's Edition. Stay tuned for an update on additional special features and a complete episode listing.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6918

New British titles from VCI on DVD

Sept 6th:

*Genevieve* (1953)

extras:

A Profile of Genevieve Documentary (30 min.) - An amusing look at the madcap motoring movie. Includes interviews with Dinah Sheridan (starring actress), Clive Donner (Film Editor), Christopher Challis (Director of Photography) and Larry Adler (Composer) as well as featuring the veteran cars themselves! Photo & Poster Gallery

*Christopher Columbus* (1949) Frederic March

extras:

Photo gallery

Sept 20th:

*The Black Tent* (1956)

extra:

Photo gallery

*Flame in the Streets* (1961) John Mills

extras:

Photo and poster gallery

A long sought-after Disney title is now available on DVD, Emil and the Detectives. But you can only get it through the Disney Movie Club as a member. It's part of their DVD exclusives line (think MOD), which can be iffy on quality sometimes.

They also have the newly-released exclusive, Charley and the Angel.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}I don't think we've mentioned this before, but RHI is releasing "Laurel and Hardy - The Essential Collection". This will be a 10-DVD set that will a total of 58 features and shorts. Release date is Oct. 25.

I'm all over this!!! thank you for the notice!!! I'm getting this no matter the cost! Saving pennies now! This rocks!

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote} RHI is releasing "Laurel and Hardy - The Essential Collection". This will be a 10-DVD set that will a total of 58 features and shorts. Release date is Oct. 25.

> I'm all over this!!! thank you for the notice!!! I'm getting this no matter the cost! Saving pennies now! This rocks!

Here's an article about it, including a listing of the contents:

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_more_southwest_noir_kMtGgEiqkYCxU5baQb9UPL

Note:

You'll have to scroll down past a few other reviews to get to the L & H part.

"Kind Hearts and Coronets" is coming from Optimum on September 5th on Blu-ray.

extras:

-Audio Commentary with Peter Bradshaw, Terence Davies, and Matthew Guinness

-John Landis Introduction

-Dennis Price: Those British Faces featurette

-BBC Radio 3 Essay

-Alternative American Ending

-Restoration Comparison

-Behind the Scenes

-Stills Gallery

-Excerpt from BECTU Interview with cinematographer Douglas Slocombe

-Trailer

"The Conversation" (1974) is coming to Blu on Oct. 25th. Very suspenseful film.

Extras include

Screen Tests

On-location Retrospective Featurette

Interviews with Director Francis Ford Coppola and Composer David Shire

Archival Footage

Archival Audio

Audio Commentaries

Making-of Featurette

Marketing Gallery

Theatrical Trailer