Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Criterion releases for January

January 17:

Belle de joure (Luis Buñuel, 1967) on DVD and Blu-ray

Traffic (Steven Soderbergh, 2000) on Blu (already available on DVD)

Eclipse Series 31: Three Popular Films by Jean-Pierre Gorin DVD only

January 24:

The Moment of Truth (Francesco Rosi, 1964) DVD and Blu

Godzilla (Ishiro Honda, 1954) DVD and Blu

Technical specs and special features include:

*Belle de jour*

* New high-definition digital restoration with uncompressed monaural soundtrack

* Audio commentary featuring Michael Wood, author of the BFI Film Classics book Belle de jour

* New video piece featuring writer and sexual-politics activist Susie Bright and film scholar Linda Williams

* New interview with screenwriter Jean-Claude Carrière

* Excerpt from the French television program Cinéma, featuring interviews with Carrière and actress Catherine Deneuve

* Original and American release trailers

* New and improved English subtitle translation

* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Melissa Anderson and a 1970s interview with director Luis Buñuel

*Traffic*

* Restored digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Steven Soderbergh and supervising sound editor and rerecording mixer Larry Blake with 5.1 and 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks

* Three audio commentaries, featuring Soderbergh and writer Stephen Gaghan; producers Laura Bickford, Edward Zwick, and Marshall Herskovitz and consultants Tim Golden and Craig Chretien; and composer Cliff Martinez

* Twenty-five deleted scenes, with optional commentary by Soderbergh and Gaghan

* Three sets of demonstrations: one on film processing and the look of the Mexico sequences; one on film editing, with commentary by editor Stephen Mirrione; and one on dialogue editing

* Additional unused footage of various scenes, from multiple angles

* Theatrical trailers and television spots

* Gallery of trading cards depicting the U.S. Customs canine squad used to detect narcotics and illegal substances

* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Manohla Dargis

*Godzilla*

* Audio commentary by David Kalat (A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series)

* New high-definition digital restoration of Godzilla, King of the Monsters, Terry Morse's 1956 reworking of the original, starring Raymond Burr

* Audio commentary for Godzilla, King of the Monsters by Kalat

* New interviews with actor Akira Takarada (Hideto Ogata), Godzilla performer Haruo Nakajima, and effects technicians Yoshio Irie and Eizo Kaimai

* Interview with legendary Godzilla score composer Akira Ifukube

* Featurette detailing Godzilla's photographic effects

* New interview with Japanese-film critic Tadao Sato

* The Unluckiest Dragon, an illustrated audio essay featuring historian Greg Pflugfelder describing the tragic fate of the fishing vessel Daigo fukuryu maru, a real-life event that inspired Godzilla

* Theatrical trailers

* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic J. Hoberman

*The Moment of Truth*

* Interview with director Francesco Rosi from 2004

* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Peter Matthews

• 3 weeks later...

Disney's Lady and the Tramp will be released on Blu-ray Feb. 7th and includes these extras:

* Disney Second Screen: Inside Walt's Story Meetings

* Audio Commentary: Inside Walt's Story Meetings

* Three Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes

* Never Recorded Song: "I'm Free as the Breeze"

* Lady's Pedigree: The Making of Lady and the Tramp

* Finding Lady: The Art of the Storyboard

* Original 1943 Storyboard Version of the Film

* PuppyPedia: Going to the Dogs

* "The Siamese Cat Song," Finding a Voice for the Cats

* "Bella Notte" Music Video

* Trailers

* Excerpts from "Disneyland" TV Shows

It is up for pre-order on Amazon now.

Cinderella will also be coming out on Blu in the Fall of 2012.

Funny, I was the one who let blu-ray.com know about the Wings release and the cover art, but due to circumstances beyond my control I was unable to get the info posted here. Ah, well, at least I can contribute this update on the extras:

Wings: Grandeur in the Sky

Restoring the Power and Beauty of Wings (Blu-Ray Only)

Dogfight! (Blu-Ray Only)

Criterion releases for February

La Jetée / Sans Soleil double feature (February 7th, 2012) —

* High-definition digital transfer, supervised by Chris Marker

* Uncompressed monaural soundtracks

* Gillo Pontecorvo: The Dictatorship of Truth, a documentary narrated by literary critic Edward Said

* Two interviews with filmmaker Jean-Pierre Gorin

* Chris on Chris, a video piece on Marker by filmmaker and critic Chris Darke

* Two excerpts from the French television series Court-circuit (le magazine)

* A look at David Bowie's music video for the song "Jump They Say," inspired by La Jetée

* An analysis of Hitchcock's Vertigo and its influence on Marker

* Junkopia, a six-minute film by Marker about the Emeryville Mudflats

* A booklet featuring an essay by Marker scholar Catherine Lupton, an interview with Marker, notes on the films and filmmaking by Marker, and more

Three Outlaw Samurai (February 14th, 2012) —

* New digital restoration

* Uncompressed monaural soundtrack

* Trailer

* New English subtitle translation

* A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Bilge Ebiri

Tiny Furniture (February 14th, 2012) —

* New digital transfer

* 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack

* Director Lena Dunham talks about filmmaking and autobiography in a new interview with writer and filmmaker Nora Ephron

* New interview with writer-director Paul Schrader

* Creative Nonfiction, Dunham's first feature film

* Four short films by Dunham

* Trailer

* A booklet featuring an essay by critic Phillip Lopate

World on a Wire (February 21st, 2012) —

* New high-definition digital restoration

* Uncompressed monaural soundtrack

* Fassbinder's "World on a Wire": Looking Ahead to Today, a fifty-minute documentary about the making of the film by Juliane Lorenz

* New interview with German-film scholar Gerd Gemünden

* New English subtitles

* Trailer for the 2010 theatrical release

* A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Ed Halter

Anatomy of a Murder (February 21st, 2012) —

* Two audio options: an uncompressed monaural soundtrack and an alternate 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track

* New interview with Otto Preminger biographer Foster Hirsch

* Critic Gary Giddins explores Duke Ellington's score in a new interview

* A look at the relationship between graphic designer Saul Bass and Preminger with Bass biographer Pat Kirkham

* Newsreel footage from the set

* Excerpts from a 1967 episode of Firing Line, featuring Preminger in discussion with William F. Buckley Jr.

* Excerpts from the work in progress Anatomy of "Anatomy": The Making of a Movie

* Behind-the-scenes photographs by Life Magazine's Gjon Mili

* Trailer, featuring on-set footage

* A booklet featuring an essay by critic Nick Pinkerton and a 1959 Life Magazine article on real-life lawyer Joseph N. Welch, who plays the judge in the film \ \ Vanya on 42nd Street (February 28th, 2012) —

* 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack

* New documentary featuring interviews with André Gregory, the play's director; actors Lynn Cohen, George Gaynes, Julianne Moore, Larry Pine, Wallace Shawn, and Brooke Smith; and producer Fred Berner

* Trailer

* A booklet featuring an essay by critic Steven Vineberg and a 1994 on-set report by film critic Amy Taubin

Fox UK is going to be releasing a Blu-ray box set of Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals. I expect it to duplicate the DVD set available here with Sound of Music, King and I, State Fair, Oklahoma, and Carousel. More than likely, there should be a U.S. set.

Two more classics now definitely set for Blu release...

All Quiet on the Western Front - Feb. 14th

Extras:

Introduction by Turner Classic Movies host and film historian Robert Osborne Two 100 Years of Universal featurettes: - Restoring the Classics

* Academy Award Winners

The silent version of All Quiet on the Western Front

To Kill A Mockingbird (finally with a street date: Jan. 12th)

Extras:

Feature commentary with director Robert Mulligan and producer Alan Pakula

* Fearful Symmetry feature-length documentary

* A Conversation with Gregory Peck feature-length documentary

* 100 Years of Universal: Restoring the Classics featurette on the film's restoration process

* Gregory Peck's 1963 Academy Award acceptance speech and his remarks upon receiving the AFI Life Achievement Award

* Excerpt from Cecilia Peck's Tribute To Gregory Peck

* Scout Remembers featurette with actress Mary Badham

* Original theatrical trailer

Universal is also releasing with all of the same features a limited collector's edition.

Breaking news!!!

from blu-ray.com:

In an early announcement to retailers, MGM has revealed that it will release on Blu-ray two classic Alfred Hitchcock films: *Rebecca* (1940), starring Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine, and *Notorious* (1946), starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman.

Exact technical specs, supplemental features and region coding status for these releases are unknown at the moment, but the preliminary release date for the two Blu-rays set by the studio is January 24th.

(And) in an early announcement to retailers, MGM has revealed that it will release on Blu-ray two Woody Allen films: *Annie Hall* (1977) and *Manhattan* (1979). Street date is also January 24th.

filmlover,

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the restored *WINGS,* and the Silent *ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT.* But where is *THE BIG PARADE?* Frankly, Neither film would have ever been made if *THE BIG PARADE* hadn't come first. To me it is a superior picture to them both. I just Pre-ordered the Blu-Ray of *WINGS* a few hours ago. Wish I could be Pre-ordering the restored *THE BIG PARADE.* I have waited for going on 8 years for the new restoration to debut on TCM or hit DVD.

I don't think silent films are high on the list of any production company because of their limited appeal to today's audience. Companies like Kino are focusing on stars and films that are known, at least to a small degree to modern day audiences. And even those, I am sure, are a struggle for them because of the costs of Blu-ray engineering and the small payback from sales.

In January, Twilight Time is going to be releasing on Blu-ray *Picnic* and *The Roots of Heaven*. Each will be lmited to a pressing of 3,000 copies and prices at $29.95 each. They will be available only from the Screen Archives site. (*Pal Joey* will follow in February.)

6429905967_04cfe10603.jpg

6429906043_202b4b412a.jpg

Independent distributors Olive films will release on Blu-ray Anthony Quinn's The Buccaneer (1958), starring Yul Brynner, Claire Bloom, Charles Boyer, Charlton Heston, and Inger Stevens, and Herbert Ross' Nijinsky (1980), starring Alan Bates, Leslie Browne, and George De La Pena. Street date is February 28th.

6438372481_881bc775f1_m.jpg

6438372697_8094024faa_m.jpg

Re: Buccaneer...thanks, I know you have it in the list you posted, but I thought it deserved to be in the Upcoming Releases thread, and the one with the official date I listed it 8 hours prior to yours with the date. ;)

Edited by: filmlover on Dec 2, 2011 5:18 PM

filmlover,

Hey, I've waited for going on 8 years for the restored version of *THE BIG PARADE* to be released on DVD or at least shown on TCM for the first time. Since 2004 when the project was completed in 35 millimeter. . That's to long. And really I have actually been waiting since long before the restoration was completed going back to 2001-2002 when it was just getting underway. This is not just any Silent Film, it is thee highest grossing, most popular film of the 1920's. For it not to be, never to have been on DVD is completely ridiculous. I personally believe if they put it out as a TCM Vault release and promoted it on the channel, it would sell pretty well. Should have been released a good 5 years ago.

from blu-ray.com

Next year, Warner Home Entertainment will release *A Streetcar Named Desire* in a special 60th Anniversary Blu-ray edition. Extras:

* Commentary with Karl Malden, film historian Rudy Behlmer, and Jeff Young

* Elia Kazan movie trailer gallery

* Movie and audio outtakes

* Marlon Brando screen test

* Elia Kazan: A Director's Journey documentary

* Five behind-the-scenes featurettes: - A Streetcar on Broadway \- A Streetcar in Hollywood \- Desire and Censorship \- North and the South \- An Actor Named Brando

The 60th Anniversary Edition also comes packaged in a forty-page book set that contains on-set/promotional photographs and film history trivia.

A Streetcar Named Desire streets on April 10th, 2012.