Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upcoming Releases

JackBurley

Just bought the ALICE FAYE COLLECTION, HEMINGWAY COLLECTION, LITERARY CLASSICS, and pre-ordered BRUTE FORCE, JANE EYRE, LES MIZ, DORIS DAY COLLECTION and more to come for me. I also want TYRONE POWER SWASHBUCKLER and the LUCILE BALL and probably KATHARINE HEPBURN collections, ON THE RIVIERA, CAN-CAN, PIGSKIN PARADE and it never seems to end. I am glad both FOX and WBHV and releasing these box sets in slim cases as they take up half the space on the shelves. I am not big on westerns or war films so those collections really don't interest me except for RIO BRAVO. It would have been nice to have THE QUIET MAN from Paramount for the John Wayne 100th birthday.

There are quite a few sets coming you, you're right. I guess I just kinda meant that no matter how many films the home video companies turn out, there's always dozens of titles people are still asking for.

But yeah, with so much stuff coming out, and HDTV looming on the horizon, I wonder which titles it makes more sense to rent now and maybe consider buying in a HD format at a later date.

Cinemascope, if there are any DVD's you want upcoming I would suggest you purchase them now. It it my understanding that it will be a long time before the all-out conversion to HD DVD's. The standard DVD is too entrenched in the market for it to disappear at this point or in the next few years. And if you are looking for classics, it will take years before any of them appear in HD at all. I really don't want to wait. In the meantime I am content to view many of the converted films to HD on HDNET. I am not much into rentals. I saw a beautiful print of WEST SIDE STORY last week and upcoming is A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS on HDNET.

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC, the 1977 filmization of the hit Broadway musical is being released on DVD June 5. Elizabeth Taylor stars with several of the original B'way cast members including Hermoine Gingold recreating their roles. I think director Hal Prince made a botch of this film. I was totally disappointed when I originally saw A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC but would be curious to see it again to see if I have a change of opinion.

FOX has announced the following:

June 5

The Neptune Factor

The Sand Pebbles - Special Edition

Twelve O'Clock High - Special Edition

Von Ryan's Express - Special Edition

June 12

Charley's Aunt (FINALLY!!!!)

The Hustler - Collector's Edition

Jeeves Collection

The Three Musketeers

The Verdict - Collector's Edition

Here is some followup FOX info:

THE JEEVES COLLECTION

Thank You, Jeeves! (1936) and Step Lively, Jeeves! (1937).

Standard; Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital stereo, Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, Spanish; featurettes

The Neptune Factor (73)

Widescreen; Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital stereo, Dolby Digital mono, French Dolby Digital mono, Spanish Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, Spanish; featurette; isolated score; photo gallery; radio spots; theatrical trailers; TV spots.

WHITE FEATHER is May 22 release.

2 more titles to add to be released June 5.

FANTASTIC VOYAGE - Special Edition

Widescreen; Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital stereo, Dolby Digital mono, French Dolby Digital mono, Spanish Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, Spanish; art gallery; audio commentary; deleted scene; featurette; photo gallery; poster gallery; screen tests; storyboards; TV spots; theatrical trailers.

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA - Global Warming Edition

Widescreen; Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital Surround 4.0, Dolby Digital Surround, French Dolby Digital mono, Spanish Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, Spanish; art gallery; audio commentary; featurettes; interview; photo gallery; theatrical trailer.

STILL MORE FOX INFO:

CHARLEY'S AUNT (1941)

Standard; Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital stereo, Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, French, Spanish; audio commentary; theatrical trailer.

THE THREE MUSKETEERS (1939)

Standard; Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital stereo, Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, Spanish; featurettes.

TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH (1949) -Collector's Edition

Standard; Soundtrack: English Dolby Digital mono; audio commentary; featurettes.

VON RYAN'S EXPRESS (1965) - Collector's Edition

Widescreen (Enhanced); Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital stereo, Dolby Digital mono, French Dolby Digital mono, Spanish Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, Spanish; audio commentary; featurettes; isolated score; photo gallery; theatrical trailers; TV spots. Two-disc set.

WHITE FEATHER (1955)

Standard and Widescreen (Enhanced); Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital Surround stereo, French Dolby Digital mono, Spanish Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, Spanish; photo gallery; theatrical trailers.

THE HUSTLER (1961) Collector's Edition

Widescreen; Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital stereo, Dolby Digital mono, French Dolby Digital mono, Spanish Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: Spanish; audio commentary by Newman, others; featurettes; "making of" documentary; photo gallery; theatrical trailers. Two-disc set.

THE SAND PEBBLES (1966) - Collector's Edition

Widescreen (Enhanced); Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital 4.0, Dolby Digital stereo, French Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, French, Spanish; audio commentary by Wise, Crenna, Bergen, others; featurettes; isolated score; photo gallery; radio documentaries; radio spots; theatrical trailer; more. Two-disc set.