Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In August, Warner Home Entertainment will bring the Looney Tunes Mouse Chronicles: Chuck Jones Collection to Blu-ray. This package bundles together nineteen mouse-themed shorts from legendary animator Chuck Jones, shorts that include:

# "Naughty but Mice"

# "Little Brother Rat"

# "Sniffles and the Bookworm"

# "Sniffles Takes a Trip"

# "The Egg Collector"

# "Bedtime for Sniffles"

# "Sniffles Bells the Cat"

# "Toy Trouble"

# "The Brave Little Bat"

# "The Unbearable Bear"

# "Lost and Foundling"

# "Hush, My Mouse"

# "The Aristo Cat"

# "Trap Happy Porky"

# "Roughly Squeaking"

# "House Hunting Mice"

# "Mouse Wreckers"

# "The Hypo-Chondri-Cat"

# "Cheese Chasers"

Warner has not yet detailed the technical and supplementary materials for this two-disc set, though the distributor's preliminary press listing indicates that "Extra Content" will accompany the individual Looney Tunes.

Looney Tunes Mouse Chronicles: Chuck Jones Collection streets on August 28th.

New Criterion release date and disc specifications info.

August 14th

*Rosetta* (1999) — on DVD and Blu-ray

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Alain Marcoen

* 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack

* Conversation between film critic Scott Foundas and filmmakers Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne

* New interview with actors Émilie Dequenne and Olivier Gourmet

* Trailer

* New English subtitle translation

* A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Kent Jones

*La promesse* (1996) — on DVD and Blu-ray

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Alain Marcoen

* 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack

* Conversation between film critic Scott Foundas and filmmakers Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne

* New interview with actors Jérémie Renier and Olivier Gourmet

* Trailer

* A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Kent Jones

*The Royal Tenenbaums* ( 2001) — on Blu-ray (already on DVD)

* Restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director Wes Anderson

* 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack

* Audio commentary by Anderson

* With the Filmmaker: Portraits by Albert Maysles, featuring Anderson

* Interviews with and behind-the-scenes footage of actors Gene Hackman, Anjelica Huston, Ben Stiller, Gwyneth Paltrow, Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, Bill Murray, and Danny Glover

* Outtakes

* The Peter Bradley Show, featuring interviews with additional cast members

* Scrapbook featuring young Richie's murals and paintings, still photographs by set photographer James Hamilton, book and magazine covers, and storyboards

* Studio 360 radio segment on painter Miguel Calderón, along with examples of his work

* Trailers

* Insert with Eric Anderson's drawings of the Tenenbaum house

* An essay by film critic Kent Jones

August 21st

*Weekend* (2011) — on DVD and Blu-ray

* New high-definition digital restoration, approved by director Andrew Haigh and director of photography Ula Pontikos

* 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack

* New program featuring interviews with Haigh, Pontikos, producer Tristan Goligher, and actors Tom Cullen & Chris New

* New interview with Haigh on the film's sex scenes

* On-set video footage shot by New and others, and two scenes from Cullen's and New's auditions

* Video essay on the film's set photographers, Oisín Share and Colin Quinn

* Cahuenga Blvd. (2005) and Five Miles Out (2009), two short films by Haigh

* Trailer

* A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Dennis Lim

August 28th

7206611950_4c246fafa1.jpg

*Lonesome* (1928) — on DVD and Blu-ray

* New digital restoration

* Uncompressed monaural soundtrack

* Audio commentary featuring film historian Richard Koszarski

* The Last Performance, director Paul Fejos's 1929 silent starring Conrad Veidt, with a new score by Donald Sosin

* Reconstructed sound version of Broadway, Fejos's 1929 musical

* Fejos Memorial, a 1963 visual essay produced by Paul Falkenberg in collaboration with Fejos's wife, Lita Binns Fejos, featuring Paul Fejos narrating the story of his life and career

* Audio excerpts about Broadway from an interview with cinematographer Hal Mohr

* A booklet featuring essays by critic Phillip Lopate and film historian Graham Petrie and an excerpt about Lonesome from Fejos's autobiography

*Quadrophenia* (1979) — on DVD and Blu-ray

* New high-definition digital restoration of the uncut version

* Original 2.0 stereo soundtrack as well as an all-new 5.1 surround mix, supervised by the Who and presented in DTS-HD Master Audio

* New audio commentary featuring director Franc Roddam and director of photography Brian Tufano

* New interview with Bill Curbishley, the film's co-producer and the Who's co-manager

* New interview with the Who's sound engineer, Bob Pridden, discussing the new mix, featuring a restoration demonstration

* On-set and archival footage

* Behind-the-scenes photographs

* A booklet featuring an essay by critic Nick James, a reprinted personal history by original mod Irish Jack, and Pete Townshend's liner notes from the album

*Eclipse Series 35 - Maidstone and Other Films by Norman Mailer* (1979) — on DVD

Other release news:

from Kino on DVD and Blu-ray August 14th:

*Les Vampires*

After the success of his Fantomas films, French director Louis Feuillade attempted to create the ultimate espionage serial, a ten-episode, seven-hour epic called Les Vampires. This Kino Classics edition is authorized by the Gaumont Studios, and was mastered in HD from 35mm film elements restored by the Cinémathèque Française, and is accompanied by a new musical score by the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra.

And in Germany, Universum is releasing a Blu-ray version of 1930's *Der blaue Engle* aka The Blue Angel, Dietrich's breakthrough film.

Network Films in the UK has announced a British release of Things To Come on Blu-ray on June 18th. While there was a U.S. release by Legends, it looked terrible. According to release info, "This version of Things To Come has been painstakingly restored from the remaining film elements and represents the most complete version known to exist."

The UK release will have these extras:

*Disc One – Blu-ray*

* Audio commentary with Things to Come expert Nick Cooper

* Comprehensive HD image gallery, including many rare stills

* HD merchandise image gallery

* US re-release trailer

* Script PDF

* Extensive booklet (expanded from the DVD) by Nick Cooper

*Disc Two – DVD*

* Virtual Extended Edition – a viewing option allowing for the inclusion of text and images from long-missing and unfilmed scenes to present a tantalising 'what if?'

* On Reflection: Brian Aldiss on H.G. Wells – a 25-minute documentary from 1971

* Ralph Richardson interview by Russell Harty from 1975

* The Wandering Sickness – an original 78rpm recording

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}New Criterion release date and disc specifications info.

>

>

>

> *Lonesome* (1928) — on DVD and Blu-ray

> * New digital restoration

> * Uncompressed monaural soundtrack

> * Audio commentary featuring film historian Richard Koszarski

> * The Last Performance, director Paul Fejos's 1929 silent starring Conrad Veidt, with a new score by Donald Sosin

> * Reconstructed sound version of Broadway, Fejos's 1929 musical

> * Fejos Memorial, a 1963 visual essay produced by Paul Falkenberg in collaboration with Fejos's wife, Lita Binns Fejos, featuring Paul Fejos narrating the story of his life and career

> * Audio excerpts about Broadway from an interview with cinematographer Hal Mohr

> * A booklet featuring essays by critic Phillip Lopate and film historian Graham Petrie and an excerpt about Lonesome from Fejos's autobiography

I'm so happy to hear about Lonesome and Broadway. It makes me glad I didn't buy an inferior bootleg of Broadway when I had the chance a couple of years ago when I figured that it would never be released on DVD. I've never heard of "The Last Performance", but I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also glad that the extra films are going to be on DVD and not just Blu for those of us that just aren't interested in Blu-Ray.

Some more Olive releases for Aug. 21st, available on Blu-ray and DVD:

*Pursued* starring Robert Mitchum

*Captain Carey, U.S.A.* starring Alan Ladd

*My Son John* starring Robert Walker, Hellen Hayes

*Private Hell 36* starring Ida Lupino

Universal news:

*Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein* will be availableon Blu-ray September 4th.

*Harvey* is also back on the schedule for release the same day.

E.T has a tentative date for October. Details: Universal's Blu-ray/DVD/UltraViolet Digital Copy combo pack offers *the 1982 theatrical edition of the film* in its 1.85:1 original aspect ratio with a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track. Furthermore, the disc contains Universal's standard BD-Live, pocket BLU, Advanced Remote Control, Video Timeline, Mobile-To-Go, and Keyboard functionalities and the following bonus supplements:

* All-new Steven Spielberg & E.T. interview

* The E.T. Journals, shot by Academy Award-winning cinematographer John Toll ()

* Behind-the-scenes featurettes: - A Look Back \- The E.T. Reunion \- The Evolution and Creation of E.T. \- The Music of E.T.: A Discussion with John Williams \- The 20th Anniversary Premiere

* Two deleted scenes from the film's 2002 version

* Designs, photographs, and marketing elements: - E.T. designs by production illustrator Ed Verreaux \- E.T. designs by carlo rambaldi \- Spaceship designs by Ralph McQuarrie \- Designs by production illustrator Ed Verreaux \- Production photographs \- Marketing E.T. feature

* Original theatrical trailer

* Special Olympics TV spot

Warner Bros. will be releasing a 30th anniversary edition of *Blade Runner* on October 2nd.

Extras:

Warner's four-disc Blu-ray/DVD/UltraViolet Digital Copy combo pack offers five versions of the picture: the rare workprint version, the 1982 domestic and international theatrical cuts, the 1993 director's cut, and the 2007 Final Cut, which contains additional revisions not present in any of the previous versions. Further technical specifications are unknown, though the Blu-ray does contain a number of bonus supplements, such as:

* Photo gallery with 1,000+ new images

* All-new bonus content disc featuring the existing extra content from the Ultimate Collectors Edition

* Feature-length Dangerous Days documentary

* Over six behind-the-scenes featurettes

The discs come packaged in a collectible 72-page digibook with "never-before-seen Ridley [scott|http://forums.tcm.com/] sketches, poster art, and photos from the set" alongside a concept spinner car and action Lenticular hologram.

Forever Marilyn: The Blu-ray Collection will be released by Fox July 31st. It will be a seven-film collection (two are on Blu now, so five will be new to Blu):

Some Like It Hot

The Misfits

How To Marry A Millionaire

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

The Seven Year Itch

There's No Business Like Show Business

River of No Return

Apparently, they will also be available as individual titles.

7315793070_955ec270a1.jpg

More releases from Olive that will be available in Blu-ray and DVD:

Robert Siodmak's *The Dark Mirror* (1946), starring Olivia de Havilland, Lew Ayres and Thomas Mitchell

Fritz Lang's *Secret Beyond the Door...* (1947), starring Joan Bennett, Michael Redgrave and Anne Revere,

Edmond O'Brien's *Man-Trap* (1961), starring Jeffrey Hunter, David Janssen and Stella Stevens, Elaine May's *A New Leaf* (1971), starring Walter Matthau, Elaine May and Jack Weston,

Sidney Lumet's *Child's Play* (1972), starring James Mason, Robert Preston and Beau Bridges, and Frank Perry's *Man on a Swing* (1974), starring Cliff Robertson, Joel Grey and Dorothy Tristan.

The preliminary release date for all six films is September 4th.

Yes. Amazon's current price is $69.99 (list $99.00). With seven titles, that makes them $10 each. The individual titles appear to be $17.49 each on Amazon. I will sell off the two titles I already have and get back some of the money that way.

Might do the same, but I think I will wait to see if and when the price drops. I wonder what happened to NIAGARA and BUS STOP. Both MISFITS and SOME LIKE IT HOT are not fetching good prices for resale.

Has anyone mentioned THE DARK MIRROR which stars Olivia de Havilland and Lew Ayres coming to Blu Ray by the overpriced Olive?

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}

>

> Has anyone mentioned THE DARK MIRROR which stars Olivia de Havilland and Lew Ayres coming to Blu Ray by the overpriced Olive?

Yes, look at the fifth post under yours.

filmlover, missed that post entirely. Haven't seen THE DARK MIRROR in years, but Olive's prices are out of line so maybe I can get a cheap used one eventually. SOUND AND THE FURY is not a favorite of mine, so I will pass on this TWILIGHT release. I am being very picky what I buy from Screen Archives. Most of their releases so far hold very little interest for me. So far I have only bought 4 of their releases. Glad they lowered their prices slighly, but the $34.95 price for their earlier Columbia releases also seem out of line to me.

Yeah Twilight Times prices are way off the charts and hardly contain any extras - Im really picky too. I own 3 of them. It would be great if they would at least port over the bonus features from the DVDs if they have any - such as Mysterious Island

Criterion release info for September

*Umberto D.* (September 4th, 2012) — Blu-ray (already on DVD)

* New high-definition digital transfer

* That's Life: Vittorio De Sica, a fifty-five-minute documentary made for Italian television in 2001

* Video interview with actress Maria Pia Casilio from 2003

* Trailer

* A booklet featuring an essay by critic Stuart Klawans and reprinted recollections by De Sica and Carlo Battisti, who plays Umberto D.

*Les visiteurs du soir* (September 18th, 2012) — Blu-ray and DVD

* New high-definition digital restoration

* L'aventure des Visiteurs du soir, a documentary on the making of the film

* Trailer

* A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Michael Atkinson

*Children of Paradise* (September 18th, 2012) — Blu-ray and DVD

* New high-definition digital transfer from Pathé's 2011 restoration

* Audio commentaries by film scholars Brian Stonehill and Charles Affron

* Video introduction by director Terry Gilliam

* Once Upon a Time: Children of Paradise, a 2010 documentary on the making of the film

* New visual essay on the design of Children of Paradise by film writer Paul Ryan

* The Birth of Children of Paradise, a 1967 German documentary that visits Nice, where the film was partially shot, and features interviews with cast members Arletty, Jean-Louis Barrault, Pierre Brasseur; production designer Alexandre Trauner; and others

* Restoration demonstration

* U.S. trailer

* A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Dudley Andrew and excerpts from a 1990 interview with director Marcel Carné

*The Game* (September 25th, 2012) — Blu-ray and DVD

* New, restored digital transfer, supervised by director David Fincher and director of photography Harris Savides

* Two 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio tracks:

** Original theatrical 5.1 surround theatrical soundtrack

** Alternate 5.1 surround mix optimized for home theater viewing, supervised by sound designer Ren Klyce and Fincher

* Audio commentary by Fincher, Savides, actor Michael Douglas, screenwriters John Brancato and Michael Ferris, digital animation supervisor Richard "Dr." Baily, production designer Jeffrey Beecroft, visual effects supervisor Kevin Haug, and visual effects producer Robyn D'Arcy

* An hour's worth of exclusive behind-the-scenes footage and film-to-storyboard comparisons for four of the film's major set pieces, with commentary

* Alternate ending

* Trailer and teaser trailer, with commentary

* A booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Sterritt

*Eating Raoul* (September 25th, 2012) — Blu-ray and DVD

* New, restored digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Gary Thieltges

* Audio commentary featuring screenwriter Richard Blackburn, art director Robert Schulenberg, and editor Alan Toomayan

* The Secret Cinema (1968) and Naughty Nurse (1969), two short films by director Paul Bartel

* Cooking Up Raoul, a new documentary about the making of the film, featuring interviews with stars Mary Woronov, Robert Beltran, and Edie McClurg

* Gag reel of outtakes from the film

* Archival interview with Bartel and Woronov

* Trailer

* A booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Ehrenstein