Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JackBurley

Upcoming Releases

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}In the UK, Studio Canal will bring to Blu-ray two classic French films: Jacques Becker's (1952), starring Simone Signoret, Serge Reggiani and Claude Dauphin, and Claude Sautet's (1972), starring Yves Montand, Romy Schneider and Sami Frey. Street date for both is November 5th.

>

> Also in the UK, Eureka! will be bringing out:

>

> Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen (1924) in a 2 Blu/2 DVD combo set. Oct. 22nd

> Samuel Fuller's Park Row (1952) DVD. Oct. 22nd

> The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) Blu/DVD combo set. Nov. 12th.

> *Trouble In Paradise (1932) DVD. Nov. 12th.*

> Gate of Hell (1953) Blu/DVD set. Dec. 3rd.

>

> It is not known at this time if these will be region B locked.

Oh boy, now this creates a dilemma ?:| - do I order this edition or wait like a good girl and hope Criterion puts out its own Blu?

Eureka!'s Blu-ray of Ruggles of Red Gap released this past May was indeed region-locked, if that indicates anything.

By the way, I thought Criterion's Design for Living looked good for an early 30s film, but I'm far from an authority. I should dig out the DVD copy from my old Gary Cooper collection and compare. As inferred by my aforementioned Trouble in Paradise quandary, I'm sort of an easy mark for anything Lubitsch. And Criterion's cover art just slayed me (they're always so good at that).

The L.A. Times newspaper had an article about the film's restoration (and playing at the Academy tomorrow night), and it will be released theatrically Oct. 4th, with the Blu-ray box set coming out Nov. 14th.

from digitalbits.com:

On our own Blu-ray panel, George Feltenstein revealed that Warner Home Video has now officially green-lit the Blu-ray 3D release of House of Wax (1953). The original negative was damaged, so the "separation" film elements are being scanned at 4K for all three color strips, plus the left and right eye for each - essentially like scanning and restoring six films at once.

Update for Lawrence of Arabia: the release date for the Blu-ray set is now set as Tuesday, Nov. 13th (as the 14th is a Wednesday; new titles are released in stores on Tuesdays)

And here's some more info:

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has just issued a press release announcing that the 1962 David Lean directed film “Lawrence of Arabia” is coming to Blu-ray Disc in a 3-disc collectible box set on November 13th. The film starred Peter O’Toole, Alec Guinness, Anthony Quinn, Jack Hawkins, Omar Sharif, Jose Ferrer, Anthony Quayle, Claude Rains and Arthur Kennedy. The film has received a 4K restoration and will be presented in the Director’s Cut. It also appears that a single-disc version will be released as it’s listed on Sony’s press site. Tech specs for the release include full 1080p Hi-Def video in the 2.20:1 aspect ratio and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound. Both versions will come with an UltraViolet digital copy of the film. The main difference between the 3-disc box set and the single-disc version is that only one of the bonus materials will be included on the single-disc version; a picture-in-graphics track. It seems the second disc (not specified if it will be a DVD or Blu-ray) will contain a majority of the bonus material on that 3-disc set and the third will possibly be a DVD of the film in standard definition. A detailed list of the bonus materials set to be included on the 3-disc box set are listed below.

Extras for the Blu-ray:

Secrets of Arabia: A Picture-in-Graphics Track

Peter O’Toole Revisits “Lawrence of Arabia”

Making of Lawrence of Arabia

A Conversation with Steven Speilberg

Maan, Jordan: The Camels Are Cast (1 of 4 Original Featurettes)

Advertising Campaigns

Original Newsreel Footage of the New York Premiere

Vintage Featurettes In Search of Lawrence

Vintage Featurettes Romance of Arabia (Newly Restored)

filmlover please let me know when yu see a discount code. Do yu buy any Warner Archive titles? I am interested in the Forbidden Hollywood sets and MAISIE. I am trying to cut back but its difficult.

New Olive titles on Blu and DVD:

Max Ophuls' Letter from an Unknown Woman (1948)

Jules Dassin's Up Tight! (1968)

Robert Wise's Three Secrets (1950)

Alan J. Pakula's The Sterile Cuckoo (1969)

Sydney Pollack's The Slender Thread (1965)

Street date for all five releases is October 16th

Coming from WB on Blu-ray:

Guys and Dolls - Nov. 6th

Hans Christian Andersen - Dec. 18th

I can't recall if it has been mentioned but Kino is releasing on Blu

Lon Chaney's The Penalty - Oct. 23rd

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians - Oct. 30th

Edge, I recently got a Barnes and Noble membership. And I sold my used Twilight Time "Mysterious Island" Blu on eBay for $51. With that, I was able to purchase *three* Criterion Blus with the 50% off sale, and the 10% off members get in store, plus use a membership coupon for $5 for purchases over $50. Got Ingmar Bergman's The Magician, Fellini's Amarcord, and Down By Law (two ended up being $16.66 each and the third at $16.65). With tax, the purchase cost me about $2 above what I sold MI for. (And the manager was great in manipulating the system to use a membership coupon to take $8 off the Eclipse Sabu set. It ended up being $13.31 with tax.)

As mentioned quite awhile in the past, Warners is bringing both versions of *The Postman Always Rings Twice* to Blu-ray. The release date will be Nov. 13th. One thing different than before is that it looks like these will be individual releases, not in the same package.

Over in the UK, Studio Canal is releasing *The Man In The White Suit* on Blu-ray on Nov. 5th. If previous Ealing comedies from StudioCanal are any indication, this will be region B locked.

from clasicflix.com

Earlier this year, Olive Films struck a deal to carry the Republic catalog. Now, Frank Tarzi at Olive has given ClassicFlix the complete list of classic Republic titles they have acquired. The list is official and does not include titles already released or announced.

The slate, over one hundred films, contain a good number that have been previously released. However, many have never made it to DVD and will be very welcome such as Bullfighter and the Lady (1951), Crashout (1955), Cry Danger (1951), It's in the Bag! (1945) and Shack Out on 101 (1955).

Most, but not all will get Blu-Ray releases; and Betty Boop is also in the mix (below film list).

Of special note is The Quiet Man (1952) which will get the restoration attention that it deserves having been scanned off of the original studio negative. Even better, coming straight from Mr. Tarzi himself, they want to "get it right."

No specific dates are set, so stay tuned for more details...

Ambush at Cimarron Pass (1958)

The Americano (1955)

Angel and the Badman (1947)

Arch of Triumph (1948)

Armored Attack (1943) A.K.A. The North Star

The Atomic Kid (1954)

The Bells of St. Mary (1945)

Beware, My Lovely (1952)

Blood on the Sun (1945)

Blowing Wild (1953)

Bullfighter and the Lady (1951)

Caught (1949)

Champion (1949)

China Gate (1957)

City That Never Sleeps (1953)

Cloak and Dagger (1946)

Copacabana (1947)

The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell (1955)

Crashout (1955)

Cry Danger (1951)

Cry Vengeance (1954)

Dakota (1945)

Dark Command (1940)

The Devil and Miss Jones (1941)

Diary of a Chambermaid (1946)

Distant Drums (1951)

The Enforcer (1951)

Father Goose (1964)

Fighter Attack (1953)

The Fighting Kentuckian (1949)

The Fighting Seabees (1944)

Fire Maidens of Outer Space (1956)

Flame of Barbary Coast (1945)

Flat Top (1952)

Flying Tigers (1942)

Frontier Horizon (1939) A.K.A. New Frontier

Good Sam (1948)

The Grass is Greener (1960)

Guest Wife (1945)

Hell's Half Acre (1954)

High School Confidential (1958)

Home of the Brave (1949)

Hoodlum Empire (1952)

I've Always Loved You (1946)

In Old California (1942)

Indiscreet (1958)

It's in the Bag! (1945)

Johnny Come Lately (1943)

King of the Pecos (1936)

Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye (1950)

Lady For a Night (1942)

Lady From Louisiana (1941)

A Lady Takes a Chance (1943)

The Last Command (1955)

The Lawless Nineties (1936)

The Lonely Trail (1936)

The Lost Moment (1947)

Lost Planet Airmen (1952)

Love Happy (1949)

Magic Town (1947)

Magnificent Doll (1946)

A Man Alone (1955)

A Man Betrayed (1941) A.K.A. Wheel of Fortune

Marjorie Morningstar (1958)

The Men (1950)

The Miracle of the Bells (1948)

Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid (1948)

The New Frontier (1935)

One of Our Aircraft is Missing (1942)

One Touch of Venus (1948)

Only the Valiant (1951)

Operation Petticoat (1959)

Oregon Trail (1936)

The Other Love (1947)

Outrage (1950)

Pals of the Saddle (1938)

Penny Serenade (1941)

Plunder Road (1957)

The Quiet Man (1952)

Ramrod (1947)

The Red Menace (1949)

The Red Pony (1949)

Retreat, Hell! (1952)

Ruthless (1948)

Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)

Santa Fe Stampede (1938)

Shack Out on 101 (1955)

She Devil (1957)

Showdown at Boothill (1958)

Sleep My Love (1948)

So This is New York (1948)

South of St. Louis (1949)

Stranger on the Prowl (1952)

Strangers in the Night (1944)

The Sun Shines Bright (1953)

That Touch of Mink (1962)

That's My Man (1947)

Three Faces West (1940)

Try and Get Me (1950) A.K.A. The Sound of Fury

Wake of the Red Witch (1948)

War of the Wildcats (1943) A.K.A. In Old Oklahoma

Westward Ho (1935)

Wyoming Outlaw (1939)

Young at Heart (1954)

Betty Boop Cartoons

Be Up To Date

Betty Boop For President

Betty Boop Limited

Betty Boop M.D.

Betty Boops Bamboo Isle

Betty Boops Big Boss

Betty Boops Birthday

Betty Boops Bizzy Bee

Betty Boops Halloween Party

Betty Boops Lifeguard

Betty Boops Little Pal

Betty Boops May Party

Betty Boops Museum

Betty Boops Penthouse

Betty Boops Prize Show

Betty Boops Trial

Betty Boops Ups And Downs

Boop Oop A Doop

Foxy Hunter, The

Ha Ha Ha

I Heard

I'll Be Glad When You're Dead, You Rascal You

You Keep In Style

Morning, Noon And Night

Mother Goose Land

New Deal Show

The Old Man Of The Mountains

Out Of The Inkwell

Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers

Pudgy In Thrills And Chills

Pudgy The Watchman

Red Hot Mama

Riding The Rails

Sally Swing

Services With A Smile

She Wronged Him Right

Snow White

Stop That Noise

Stopping The Show

Swing School

Theres Something About a Soldier

When My Ship Comes In

Zula Hula

Betty Boop Confidential

Betty Boops Big Boss

Betty Boop For President

Betty Boops Rise To Fame

Bimbos Initiation

Chess-Nuts-Betty Boop

Dizzy Dishes

I Heard

I'll Be Glad When You're Dead

Minnie The Moocher-Betty Boop

Mother Goose Land

Old Man Of The Mountains, The

Poor Cinderella

Red Hot Mamma

I am looking forward to several of these titles including YOUNG AT HEART. Print quality on this film has not been good and the WB logo at the beginning and ending had been lopped off by NTA/Republic with a card inserted THE END. Hope they go back to the original source print and release it as a BR.

filmlover, I notice the UK release of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA is approximately $19.50 with postage as opposed to the more expensive USA release. Do you think this is a stripped down version with little or no extras. I am not wanting to pay the exhorbitant USA price. I also bought the single disc USA SINGIN IN THE RAIN.

Neither the U.S. or U.K. mention anything about extras { I would bet there are extras} , but to save about $40.00 on the U.K. release is worth the gamble and it's region free.

The USA edition must be some deluxe packaging with book, etc which I can do without. I would imagine both releases will have similar extras.

Actually, I covered this a page back:

*The main difference between the 3-disc box set and the single-disc version is that only one of the bonus materials will be included on the single-disc version; a picture-in-graphics track*. It seems the second disc (not specified if it will be a DVD or Blu-ray) will contain a majority of the bonus material on that 3-disc set and the third will possibly be a DVD of the film in standard definition. A detailed list of the bonus materials set to be included on the 3-disc box set are listed below.

Extras for the Blu-ray:

Secrets of Arabia: A Picture-in-Graphics Track

Peter O’Toole Revisits “Lawrence of Arabia”

Making of Lawrence of Arabia

A Conversation with Steven Speilberg

Maan, Jordan: The Camels Are Cast (1 of 4 Original Featurettes)

Advertising Campaigns

Original Newsreel Footage of the New York Premiere

Vintage Featurettes In Search of Lawrence

Vintage Featurettes Romance of Arabia (Newly Restored)

I alreasy have the British single-disc release on order, and it is due out about a month before the U.S. release, but I am going to have the U.S. on order, just to lock in the current price and in case it goes down. I discussed the box set with a picture in a separate thread:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=165578&tstart=90

I just got the Forever Marilyn collection today from Amazon and was stunned the package was so thin. I couldn't figure out how in the world they got seven discs inside...then I open the set to see that they crammed 4 discs into sleeves of one slip folder and three into the other. How dare they call these "Book 1" and "Book 2." There is nothing book-like about them. My stars, the slip of paper with the security seal is almost thicker than these folders. There is not even anything telling what special features there are. And for $70!

Here is how Fox handled the collection packaging:

7686800752_086a69c8c9_z.jpg

7686800440_8ef8b5bc9b_z.jpg

No book, no list of what is on each disc. Nothing.

I read that Wal-Mart got the five new titles for $9.95 each, and I went over and got them.

7686659994_1e010e22d4.jpg

I am returning the collection set to Amazon.

filmlover, this is an expensive set and there is no excuse for crappy packaging. I will look into the Walmart store for the 5 titles. I am getting annoyed with the crappy packaging TCM is doing with their vault collection. I can't get the discs out of their pockets.

Filmlover, the WalMart site does not have these titles at those prices. No WalMart near me unfortunately unless I take a trip out here. I wonder about others like Fry's. Only 7 yEAR ITCH is selling for that price oddly enough.