Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Red Dust is available on DVD from two foreign distributors, but you would need to get an all-region player:

http://www.amazon.com/Harlow-Clark-Deluxe-Boxset-Booklet/dp/B0069ATP2E/ref=sr_1_7?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1345689934&sr=1-7&keywords=%22red+dust%22

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dust-NON-USA-FORMAT-Reg-2/dp/B0042QR5QU/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1345689970&sr=1-5&keywords=%22red+dust%22

But as far as an American release, I think we would have to wait for Warner Archive to release it or for it to come out on Blu-ray at some time. Hold Your Man I have even less hope of ever coming out.

filmlover, do you know if Universal m will be releasing individual BR releases contained in the upcoming box set. I probably am only interested in getting VERTIGO and MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH in BR. I have many of the others in the set especially those that have already been released in BR.

filmlover, I meant selling the individual standard DVD's not the BR in the box. As its stands I only want about 4 of the BR: REAR WINDOW, MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, VERTIGO and THE BIRDS. Most of the other titles I either have on the released BR or standard DVD;s. The more recent titles like TOPAZ I am not interested in.

I have had it on pre-order with UK for awhile now. As a matter of fact, I have both versions that are available from Amazon UK on order, waiting until the actual date of release gets closer to decide which:

regular UK version:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008H45YSO/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01

limited edition coffin version:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008R8E8VY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I am also waiting for confirmation that they are region free.

(I have had a few titles from the UK that are region free that don't play on my regular Blu players: Sherlock Series I and II, and some Blus that are region B locked that I can't play on my all-region player (Brighton Rock, The Cruel Sea).)

As far as why the prices are less sometimes, I don't know. But I try to take advantage of them when it is a good deal. For example, I have Harvey on order from Amazon UK because it is only 7 pounds. Even with shipping, I expect to save about $10 from the American release and it i region free.

I also have on pre-order the Hitchcock Collection and the James Bond Collection.

I figure it is good to pre-order because it locks in the price (you save if it goes higher, and if it goes lower you get the lower price) and they don't charge you until it ships. Plus I can cancel at any time up until it ships.

By the way, did you notice that the region free UCE of Singin' in the Rain will be released in October in the UK and it is about $28 US with shipping?

filmlover, another alternative for me is to buy used. Never had any problems with this and mostly seem close to mint. A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN may wait for a used ditto HARVEY. I have bought some of the Monroe titles used from the new BR and it does not bother me to have unsealed copies. This way I save much money.

In the releases on Blu-ray and DVD tomorrow is a collection of WB cartoons that hasn't received any advance notice, *Looney Tunes Mouse Chronicles: Chuck Jones Collection*:

Blu-ray: http://www.amazon.com/Looney-Tunes-Chuck-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B0081LTBR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346087360&sr=8-1&keywords=looneytuneschronicle

DVD: http://www.amazon.com/Looney-Tunes-Chuck-Jones-Collection/dp/B0081LTIJE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346087360&sr=8-2&keywords=looneytuneschronicle

The nineteen theatrical shorts in the Looney Tunes Mouse Chronicles include:

Disc One: Sniffles

1. Naughty but Mice (1939)

2. Little Brother Rat (1939)

3. Sniffles and Bookworm (1939)

4. Sniffles Takes a Trip (1940)

5. The Egg Collector (1940)

6. Bedtime for Sniffles (1940)

7. Sniffles Bells the Cat (1941)

8. Toy Trouble (1941)

9. The Brave Little Bat (1941)

10. The Unbearable Bear (1943)

11. Lost and Foundling (1944)

12. Hush My Mouse (1946)

Disc Two: Hubie and Bertie

1. The Aristo-Cat (1943)

2. Trap Happy Porky (1945)

3. Roughly Squeaking (1946)

4. House Hunting Mice (1947)

5. Mouse Wreckers (1949)

6. The Hypo-Chondri-Cat (1950)

7. Cheese Chasers (1951)

Extras:

*Audio Commentaries*: Five audio commentaries are available for four different shorts: "Naughty but Mice" with author and animation historian Jerry Beck, "The Aristo-Cat" with cartoonist Eddie Fitzgerald, "The Aristo-Cat" with animator and historian Greg Ford and a segment from a vintage Chuck Jones interview, "Mouse Wreckers" with Ford, and "The Hypo-Chondri-Cat" with Beck. *More Mice: Bonus Cartoons from the WB Vault* (SD, 78 minutes): Eleven bonus shorts, in various states of standard definition disrepair: "Country Mouse," "The Lyin' Mouse," "The Mice Will Play," "Little Blabbermouse," "Shop Look & Listen," "Mouse Mazurka," "Mouse-Warming," "Mouse-Taken Identity," "Mice Follies," "It's Nice to Have a Mouse Around the House" and "Merlin the Magic Mouse." *Of Mice and Pens* (HD/SD, 9 minutes): In this much-too-short featurette, narrator Maurice LaMarche (Brain from Pinky and the Brain) provides an overview of Chuck Jones' career as he created Sniffles, retired the sweet but naive mouse, and unleashed Hubie and Bertie. *"The Hypo-Chondri-Cat" Story Reel* (SD, 8 minutes): A mix of storyboards and finalized animation.

These are not duplicated on the Blu-ray Looney Tunes collections 1 and 2.

• 2 weeks later...

WB is releasing THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT GIFT BOX SET in BR on 11/20. Since this has been released before, can it be a reissue or a cleaned up set since the prior release of these movies got negative reviews for the quality of many of the films in this set. Amazon claims all new digital transfers.

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}WB is releasing THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT GIFT BOX SET in BR on 11/20. Since this has been released before, can it be a reissue or a cleaned up set since the prior release of these movies got negative reviews for the quality of many of the films in this set. Amazon claims all new digital transfers.

I think even with new transfers, it will not be good. Since this is a movie made up of hundreds of clips from films of varying quality, they would have to go back to each individual film to find the best quakity copy, restore the section in particular, do a complete recut of TE I, II, and III by inserting the exact footage from each movie (which, in itself, sometimes was an edited section of that particular film). I believe there would be absolutely no way that can be done unless they spend miliions of dollars and also have a psychiatrist on site because such an editing job would drive anyone crazy. The box art on Amazon, which could change, is the same as before. I think this is just a quick rerelease for the holidays.

Sounds like you are right filmlover. It even has the same cover art. One can only hope that this one was not just a re-release. Can't see what the point is since the old version is still very much available. I saw this listed on dVd beaver.

Olive Films will release The Trap (1959) starring Richard Widmark on Blu-ray and DVD Nov. 20th.

20th Century Fox will be releasing two classic war pics on Blu-ray on Nov. 6th. One is a remastered version of Patton, and the other is Von Ryan's Express.

Extras:

Patton

Disc 1: Blu-ray

* Introduction by Francis Ford Coppola

* Commentary by Francis Ford Coppola

Disc 2: DVD

* History Through the Lens: Patton — A Rebel Revisited Documentary

* Patton's Ghost Corps Documentary

* The Making of Patton Documentary

* Production Still Gallery Accompanied by Jerry Goldsmith's Complete Musical Score

* Behind-the-Scenes Still Gallery Accompanied by an Audio Essay on the Historical Patton

* Original Theatrical Trailer

Von Ryan's Express

Hollywood and Its War Films

Bringing Movies to Life: The Legacy of Jerry Goldsmith

2 Additional Featurettes

Isolated Score Track and More!

20th Century Fox Entertainment has revealed that it is preparing for release two Blu-ray box sets with films by acclaimed director Elia Kazan. The studio has not yet officially announced and detailed these upcoming releases, but has provided early cover works for them.

Kazan at Fox Vol. 1 has listed Boomerang! (1947), Gentleman's Agreement (1947), Pinky (1949), and Panic in the Streets (1950).

Kazan at Fox Vol. 2 has listed A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1949), Man on a Tightrope (1953), Viva Zapata! (1952), and Wild River (1960).

*New Criterion titles for Dec.*

*Purple Noon - Blu-ray and DVD Dec. 4th*

Special Features:

New digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition.

New video interview with René Clément scholar Denitza Bantcheva

Archival interviews with actor Alain Delon and novelist Patricia Highsmith, on whose book The Talented Mr. Ripley the film was based

Original English-language trailer

PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Geoffrey O'Brien and a reprinted interview with Clément

*Brazil - on Blu-ray Dec. 4th (already on DVD)*

Special Features:

Restored high-definition digital transfer of Terry Gilliam's 142-minute director's cut, supervised by Gilliam, with DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 surround soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

Audio commentary by Terry Gilliam

"What Is "Brazil"?, a thirty-minute on-set documentary by Rob Hedden

The Battle of "Brazil": A Video History, a sixty-minute documentary by author and film writer Jack Mathews about the controversy surrounding the film's release

The "Love Conquers All" version of Brazil, a ninety-four-minute cut of the film produced by the studio in an attempt to make it more commercial, with commentary by Brazil expert David Morgan

The Production Notebook, a collection of supplements featuring a trove of Brazil-iana from Gilliam's personal collection: a short documentary on the screenplay, featuring interviews with screenwriters Gilliam, Charles McKeown, and Tom Stoppard; Gilliam's storyboards for unfilmed dream sequences, animated and narrated by Morgan; visual essays on the film's production design and special effects; a visual essay on Brazil's costumes, narrated by costume designer James Acheson; and interviews with Gilliam and composer Michael Kamen on the score

Trailer

PLUS: An essay by Jack Matthews on the DVD edition and a booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Sterritt on the Blu-ray edition

*The Qatsi Trilogy - On Bluray and DVD Dec. 11th*

Special Features:

New, restored high-definition digital transfers of all three films, approved by director Godfrey Reggio, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Blu-ray editions

Essence of Life, an interview program with Reggio and composer Philip Glass on Koyaanisqatsi

New interview with cinematographer Ron Fricke about Koyaanisqatsi

Early forty-minute demo version of Koyaanisqatsi with a scratch soundtrack by Allen Ginsberg, along with a new introduction by Reggio

New interview with Reggio about Koyaanisqatsi's original visual concept, with behind-the-scenes footage

Impact of Progress, an interview program with Reggio and Glass on their collaboration

Inspiration and Ideas, an interview with Reggio about his greatest influences and teachers

Anima Mundi (1992), Reggio's twenty-eight-minute montage of images of over seventy animal species, scored by Glass

Video afterword by Reggio on the trilogy

The Making of "Naqoyqatsi," a brief documentary featuring interviews with the production crew

Panel discussion on Naqoyqatsi from 2003, with Reggio, Glass, editor Jon Kane, and music critic John Rockwell

Music of "Naqoyqatsi," an interview with Glass and cellist Yo-Yo Ma

Television spots and an interview with Reggio relating to his 1970s multimedia privacy campaign in New Mexico Trailers

PLUS: A booklet featuring essays on the trilogy by film scholar Scott MacDonald, Rockwell, and author and environmentalist Bill McKibben

*Following - On Blu-ray and DVD Dec. 11th*

Special Features:

New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director Christopher Nolan, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

New 5.1 surround sound mix by sound editor Gary Rizzo, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition

Audio commentary by Nolan

New interview with Nolan

Chronological rendering of the story

Side-by-side comparison of three scenes in the film with the shooting script Doodlebug (1997), a three-minute film by Nolan, starring Jeremy Theobald

Trailers

PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic and programmer Scott Foundas

Kino releases for December on Blu-ray

*Kino Classics*:

* December 4 - The Blue Angel (Josef von Sternberg, 1930)

* December 11 -Baron Blood (Mario Bava, 1972) and Kidnapped (Mario Bava, 1974)

* December 11 - The Ulimate Keaton Collection. This 15-disc Blu-ray set includes the "Ultimate Edition" releases of Buster Keaton: Short Films Collection: 1920-1923, The Saphead (1920), Our Hospitality (1923), Sherlock Jr./Three Ages (1923/1924), The Navigator (1924), Seven Chances (1925), Go West/Battling Butler (1925/1926), The General (1926), College (1927) (*exclusive to the box set until 2013*), Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928), and Lost Keaton (1934-1937))

WB Home Entertainment has revealed that it is planning to bring to Blu-ray three Oscar winning films: Grand Hotel starring Garbo, John and Lionel Barrymore, etc., William Wyler's Mrs. Miniver (1942), starring Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon and Teresa Wright, and Bruce Beresford's Driving Miss Daisy (1989), starring Morgan Freeman, Jessica Tandy and Dan Aykroyd.

January 8th release date.

September 18 Releases

THE KINGS THIEF, Ann Blyth, Edmund Purdom

SWORDSMAN OF SIENNA, Stewart Granger

SECRET OF MONTE CRISTO, Rory Calhoun

KING RICHARD AND THE CRUSADES, Rex Harrison, Virginia Mayo

SCARLET COAT, Cornel Wilde, Anne Francis

-----

NOW AVAILABLE THRU THE ARCHIVES:

Jeanette MacDonalad, Nelson Eddy films:

NEW MOON

GIRL OF THE GOLDEN WEST