Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In my rush to post I goofed and put this in the wrong place. BTW filmlover did yu get the 3 titles from TCM yet. Mine should have afrrived 9/17 and the post office claims it arrived on 9/14 and to be delivered on 9/17 which has come and gone. Any problem with your order. TCM cliams the post office is loaded with packages and I should check with them. I told TCM customer service they should check into the problem not me.

filmlover, for some reason my package is suppoedly still sitting in the post office and was supposed to be delivered 9/17 so I don't know happened. Got no decent answer from customer service. TCM shop is having another sale, but postage and tax add up.

It looks like a few retailers will also be selling the previously unreleased Bond films individually on Blu-ray on October 2.

'Diamonds are Forever,' 'Goldeneye,' and 'Octopussy' will be available at Wal-Mart and are already listed on their website at $9.96 each

'On Her Majesty's Secret Service,' 'You Only Live Twice,' and 'The Spy Who Loved Me' will be available at Best Buy

'A View to a Kill,' 'The Living Daylights,' and 'Tomorrow Never Dies' will be available only at Target.

Unknown prices of the ones at BB and Target.

I agree. Same for the DVD in the combo packages. When they first did it, I could see it as a good thing because someone who only has a DVD player could get the combo pack for a few dollars more and not have to rebuy when they went Blu. But it's been a few years now, and Blu players can be had for about $50 now. I've even seen a 3D Blu player sell for about $69, so there's not really any excuse not to have a Blu player (unless, of course, someone never intends to get an HDTV...but, even there, some HDTVs can be had as cheap as a regular TV.)

The only good reason I can see now to include a DVD is for a Disney film, and you can give the DVD to them. (I may be wrong, but I think it was Disney that first introduced the Blu/DVD combo.) You can also give that DIsney DVD to places like Children's Hospitals.

The dual format releases are actually a godsend for importers if they happen to get a disc that won't play on their region free Blu-ray player. I have the type that can't be upgraded - it would get rid of the region switching capability. In that scenario, I at least have the DVD to watch.

Thankfully, this has only happened to an ABC region solo Blu-ray, so I was able to use the disc on my other player, but if it was a region B disc I would be out of luck without the DVD.

January 29th will see the release of a Blu-ray box set called "Best of Warner. Bros. 50-Film Collection." You will notice from the list below that what they are referring to is 50 films released BY Warner Brothers on home video. There are titles in the set that are MGM and other companies. Also, every one of the films will already be released by that time on Blu-ray, so nothing new in the set:

The films included are (*Best Picture™ winner):

1. Grand Hotel* (1932)

2. Mutiny on the Bounty* (1935)

3. Gone with The Wind* (1939)

4. Wizard of Oz (1939)

5. Maltese Falcon, The (1941)

6. Citizen Kane (1941)

7. Mrs. Miniver* (1942)

8. Casablanca* (1942)

9. Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The (1948)

10. American in Paris, An* (1951)

11. Streetcar Named Desire, A (1951)

12. Singin' in the Rain (1952)

13. Gigi* (1958)

14. Ben-Hur* (1959)

15. North By Northwest (1959)

16. How the West Was Won (1962)

17. Doctor Zhivago (1965)

18. Cool Hand Luke (1967)

19. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

20. Bullitt (1968)

21. Dirty Harry (1971)

22. Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (1971)

23. Clockwork Orange, A (1972)

24. Exorcist, The (1973)

25. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest* (1975)

26. Superman, The Movie (1977)

27. Shining, The (1980)

28. Chariots of Fire* (1981)

29. Risky Business (1983)

30. Amadeus* (1984)

31. Color Purple, The (1985)

32. Full Metal Jacket (1987)

33. Lethal Weapon (1987)

34. Driving Miss Daisy* (1989)

35. Goodfellas (1990)

36. Bodyguard, The(1992)

37. Unforgiven* (1992)

38. Natural Born Killers (Director's Cut) (1994)

39. Matrix, The (1999)

40. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)

41. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

42. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

43. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King* (2003)

44. Million Dollar Baby* (2005)

45. Departed, The* (2006)

46. Dark Knight, The (2008)

47. Blind Side, The (2009)

48. Hangover, The (2009)

49. Sherlock Holmes (2009)

50. Inception (2010)

Plus two all-new documentaries: Tales from the Warner Bros. Lot and The Warner Bros. Lot Tour. With hours of commentaries, behind-the-scenes featurettes and more on select films. Also includes a limited edition 27” x 40” poster, plus a postcard series of Warner Bros. movie posters designed by legendary Bill Gold.

While I am disappointed that it is all pre-released material, I don't object to this set. For someone who may just be buying Blu-ray, this is a great way to get a lot of excellent films at one time. And with the number of Best Picture films in there, its January release date plays in time for the Oscars.

> {quote:title=JonasEB wrote:}{quote}Oh, good lord...

>

> Yet another year goes by, no Greed, no The Crowd, no The Wind...and we get this gigantic piece of crap instead.Jonas,

Apparently, they are finallly going to be releasing THE BIG PARADE! That is huge news, but I have no details. I will try to contact Robert Israel and see if he can tell us something.

For 2013 on Blu-ray, East of Eden, Rebel Without a Cause and Giant (TBA - will be available as BD Book singles or together in a James Dean: Ultimate Collector’s Edition).

James Dean: Ultimate Collector’s Edition will be a 9-disc set that includes all three films remastered with a trio of new documentaries (James Dean: Forever Young, James Dean: Sense Memories and James Dean: TNT Biopic), plus a book and more. East of Eden, Rebel Without a Cause and Giant (TBA - will be available as BD Book singles or together in a James Dean: Ultimate Collector’s Edition).

James Dean: Ultimate Collector’s Edition will be a 9-disc set that includes all three films remastered with a trio of new documentaries (James Dean: Forever Young, James Dean: Sense Memories and James Dean: TNT Biopic), plus a book and more..

Loving Classic films, I do not have any complaints about studios re-releasing previous titles. As it has been stated before, some folks do not have most of these movies in their Library.

Hey gagman66, your key word about THE BIG PARADE was "apparently" can you be a little more specific about its release?

Lamenting the DVD/BLU-RAY release of THE WIND, GREED and THE CROWD as well.

I will cry for these films whilst watching them on VHS, and/or Laserdisc.

Until then,(for these formats) popcorn and wine...a must.

Joe,

I'm trying to get more information. Sent an E-mail to Robert Israel this evening to find out if he knows anything? Can't seem to reach TCM's Chuck Tabesh. maybe he changed his E-mail address?

According to Digital Bits THE BIG PARADE is coming out next year. If there is a next year. No word on any of the other major MGM Silents we have been waiting on for so long though.

www.digitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/100412_0100/Page-2|http://www.digitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/100412_0100/Page-2