Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JackBurley

Upcoming Releases

Please remember, don't shoot the messenger on this one...

WB has announced for 2013 that they will release The Wizard of Oz in 3D on Blu-ray.

from darkhorizons.com:

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group has unveiled some impressive plans for next year's 90th anniversary celebration of the studio.

First up "The Wizard of Oz" will get a 3D treatment next year for both a theatrical re-release and a new 3D Blu-ray disc release. Also on the way are gigantic 100-film DVD and 50-film Blu-ray collections featuring multiple Best Picture Oscar winners.

There's also a 40-film Clint Eastwood DVD collection with a documentary on the actor and filmmaker. It's being called the largest film collection devoted to a single actor and director in the history of the business.

Plenty of classic titles will make the jump to Blu-ray including "The Jazz Singer," "Cabaret," "Grand Hotel," "Mrs. Miniver," "Driving Miss Daisy" and their James Dean trilogy of "East of Eden," "Rebel without a Cause" and "Giant".

On the positive side, they are also going to release The Jazz SInger.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/25124/warners-sets-90th-anniversary-disc-plans

Edited by: filmlover on Oct 5, 2012 2:19 AM

It's being reported that some Costco stores now have the Universal Monsters Blu-ray set for $97.99, which is $14 cheaper than Amazon.com, at the moment. Of course, you can still order the UK set, which is region free, and about $53 US.

Warner Bros. is issuing on Blu-ray "Ultimate Gangsters" Vol. 1 and 2. The first is recent films that are already out (Departed, Goodfellas, Heat, and The Town). But Vol. 2 contains 4 classics not yet on Blu ( *Little Caesar, The Public Enemy, The Petrified Forest, and White Heat* ). These will be released in the 2nd quarter of 2013.

Warners will also be releasing Cabaret on Blu-ray Feb. 5th.

In January, Eureka Entertainment in the UK will release Stanley Kubrick's *Fear and Desire* (1953), which was recently restored by restored by The Library of Congress. This will be the first ever official release of the film in the United Kingdom. Also arriving on Blu-ray in January is Josef von Sternberg's legendary *The Blue Angel* (1930). The release will feature both the German and English-language versions of the film.

In February, Eureka will present three films, two of which capitalize on HD restorations carried out by French label Gaumont. The first is Federico Fellini's 1980 *La citta delle donne* a.k.a *City of Women* (1980), starring Marcello Mastroianni. The second new HD restoration is *La Poison* (1951). The third and final release of the month is a new Blu-ray upgrade of Onibaba (1964), an unsettling, atmospheric erotic horror film whose Scope frames veer between sunlit existential dread and moonlit mystery/suspense.

Extras:

The Blue Angel

* New 1080p HD presentation of both the German-language and English-language versions of the film

* Newly translated optional subtitles on the German-language version, and SDH on the English-language version.

* New and exclusive video essay on the films by critic and scholar Tag Gallagher.

* New and exclusive feature-length audio commentary by critic and scholar Tony Rayns on the German-language version.

* Original screen test with Marlene Dietrich.

* Archival interview clips with Dietrich.

* More features to be announced closer to release date!

La Poison

* New HD restoration of the film, presented in 1080p on the Blu-ray.

* Newly translated optional subtitles.

* Substantial booklet containing writing on the film, vintage excerpts, and rare archival imagery.

* More features to be announced closer to the release date!

City of Women

* New HD restoration of the film, presented in 1080p on the Blu-ray.

* Newly translated optional subtitles.

* Substantial booklet containing writing on the film, vintage excerpts, and rare archival imagery.

Onibaba

* New 1080p HD transfer

* Full-length director's audio commentary by director Kaneto Shindō and the stars of the film, Kei Satō, and Jitsuko Yoshimura

* Video introduction by Alex Cox

* 8mm footage (40-minutes) shot on location by lead actor Kei Satō

* Optional English subtitles

* Original theatrical trailer

* Production stills and promotional art gallery

* 36-PAGE BOOKLET with a new essay by Doug Cummings, an English translation of the original short Buddhist fable that inspired the film and a statement from writer/director Kaneto Shindō about why he made Onibaba

Fear and Desire

* New HD restoration of the film by The Library of Congress, presented in 1080p on the Blu-ray.

* Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing.

* Stanley Kubrick's early short film, The Seafarers, in a new HD restoration.

* New and exclusive video discussion of the film by critic and Stanley Kubrick author Bill Krohn.

An update about the Blu-ray release of The Jazz Singer. It will be a digibook and it will include some or all of the 3-DVD set...

'The Jazz Singer' Blu-ray digibook includes Audio commentary by film historians Ron Hutchinson (founder of The Vitaphone Project) and Vince Giordano; Collection of vintage cartoons and shorts (Al Jolson in A Plantation Act, An Intimate Dinner in Celebration of Warner Bros. Silver Jubilee, I Love to Singa, Hollywood Handicap and A Day at Santa Anita); The 1947 Lux Radio Theater Broadcast starring Al Jolson; Feature-length The Dawn of Sound: How Movies Learned to Talk documentary; 2 rare excerpts from Gold Diggers of Broadway (a 1929 WB film, most of which is considered lost); Studio shorts celebrating the early sound era (Finding His Voice, The Voice That Thrilled the World, Okay for Sound, When Talkies Were Young and The Voice from the Screen); Collection of rare Vitaphone shorts; and Theatrical Trailer.

Release date is January 8th.

Glad to hear we may still yet live to see a proper release for The Big Parade from WB, but I suppose I should give up on my dreams for Lubitsch's The Merry Widow, huh? :(

Digital Bits mentioned a Blu release of The Best Years of Our Lives TBA, but I wonder what will become of all those other Goldwyn goodies they acquired the rights to. There's many a title among the lot I would jump at the opportunity to own.

Very odd fllmlover, since you ordered the set way before me. Looks like the package might have been inspected or was loosely sent but everything OK

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}Very odd fllmlover, since you ordered the set way before me. Looks like the package might have been inspected or was loosely sent but everything OK

Arggghh! Nothing today, either!

Filmlover, are you in California? I wonder what happened? Is there another edition that comes in a coffin? Hope you get the package before the week is out.

Yes, in CA. And, yes, there is a version that comes in the shape of a coffin. I've mentioned that one here, but from what I have read, that "coffin" is flimsy".

Edge, got the Monsters set. The box cover itself was a little bit scrunched on the top and bottom (what, Amazon couldn't have put this into a box, instead of one of those cardboard things where the ends come open so easily?). The set looks good and I love the booklet. Also got Harvey.

filmlover, glad you got your set. Mine had a slight nick on the bottom of the box. There were too cardboards around the box set but the box seemed to be loosely packed or became loose in the mailing.