Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It was great to read that article. It just confirmed what I feared about how hard it is to get most of a studio's library out on DVD. They just can't put them out fast enough, considering how man thousands of films their libraries hold. :(

I can't believe WBHV is lumping CAGED with two pieces of trash - TROG and THE BIG CUBE. I am only interested in the single disc of CAGED, unless I get a great price for the box set. The Historical Epics are more appealing for me since they are a lot of fun. I would probably buy this box set. . HOT RODS TO HELL and SKYJACKED are perfectly awful, even though both films have good casts. I like Linda Darnell so I could purchase ZERO HOUR alone.

Criterion has recently announced its June titles, with the long unavailable If.... among the most welcome surprises. B-)

Our friends at The Criterion Collection have announced five new titles on their June slate, starting with a two-disc release of Lindsay Anderson's 1968 If? starring Malcolm McDowell as hell-raising schoolboy Mick Travis ? expect a new transfer from restored elements; a commentary featuring McDowell and film historian David Robinson; a 2003 episode of the Scottish TV series "Cast and Crew" with McDowell, Stephen Frears, and others; Lindsay Anderson's 1955 documentary Thursday's Children; an interview with actor Graham Crowden; and more. Also on the way is a double-feature of Chris Marker's landmark 1962 short film La Jet?e and the feature-length Sans Soliel, with director-approved transfers, an interview with filmmaker Jean-Pierre Gorin, Chris Darke's video piece "Chris on Chris," and an excerpt of a David Bowie music video. More experimental cinema can be found in Dusan Makavejev's 1971 WR: Mysteries of the Organism, which will offer a commentary taken from Raymond Durgnat's 1999 book on the film, as well as an interview with Makavejev and a short film, while Makavejev's 1974 Sweet Movie will include interviews as well. Finally, Claude Berri's 1967 debut The Two of Us will offer new interviews with the director and star Alain Cohen, the short film "Le poulet," and an excerpt from a 1975 French talk show. We'll post firm dates as soon as we get them. Also, the Collection has all but confirmed that Billy Wilder's long-missing 1951 Ace in the Hole starring Kirk Douglas is now in DVD prep under their roof.

Not sure if this had been posted before...

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the fourth wave in their Region 1 Marquee Musicals Collection. Arriving on 22nd May 2007 ?fully restored and beautifully remastered? are three classic movie musicals making their Region 1 DVD debut. Priced at $19.98 SRP each they are?

Can Can - This adaptation of Cole Porter?s smash Broadway musical Can-Can made its silver screen debut in 1960 and features timeless songs such as ?Can Can,? ?C?est Manifique,? ?You Do Something To Me,? ?I Love Paris? and ?Let?s Fall In Love.? Can-Can brings together the illustrious Frank Sinatra and celebrated Oscar -winner Shirley MacLaine for some high-stepping fun in Montmartre. The film also features French stars Maurice Chevalier (Gigi) and Louis Jourdan (Made in Paris).

Digitally restored and released on DVD for the first time, Can-Can is presented in widescreen with bonus programming that includes ?The Classic Cole Porter? featurette, ?The Steve Allen Plymouth Show? featurette, ?A Leg Up: Making of Can-Can,? a restoration comparison, a photo gallery, an isolated score and FX track and the original theatrical trailer. Audio is presented in English Stereo and French and Spanish Mono with subtitles in English and Spanish.

Pigskin Parade - Sports and music go hand-in-hand in Pigskin Parade, the 1936 college football musical, starring one of the silver screen?s biggest stars, Judy Garland (A Star Is Born). The film also co-stars Jack Haley (The Wizard of Oz) and Patsy Kelly (My Son, the Hero) as married coaches in search of a hero for their college team, as well as Johnny Downs (All-American Co-Ed), Betty Grable (Whoopee!) and Dixie Dunbar (Sing, Baby, Sing).

Pigskin Parade, making its DVD debut, has been digitally re-mastered and restored in full frame format with a ?Making the Team: The Talent of Pigskin Parade? featurette, a restoration comparison, a photo gallery, an isolated score and FX track and the original theatrical trailer. The film is presented in English Stereo and French and Spanish Mono with subtitles in English and Spanish.

On the Riviera (1951) - An impersonation gig becomes wildly out of control for an American entertainer working on the French Riviera in the two-time Oscar -nominated On The Riviera (1951). Danny Kaye (Up in Arms, White Christmas) stars in the lively comedy along with Gene Tierney (The Egyptian) and Corinne Calvet (Peking Express).

Presented in widescreen and available for the first time on DVD, the digitally restored On The Riviera includes a ?Directed by Walter Lang? featurette, ?The Riviera Story? featurette, a restoration comparison, a photo gallery, an isolated score and FX track and the theatrical trailer. The film is presented in English Stereo and French and Spanish Mono with subtitles in English and Spanish.

fox is really doing a great job in releasing their classic films on dvd. hope their 'betty grable collection, vol.2' will come out soon, i'm envisioning all of her turn-of-the-century musicals in one box set: "coney island" & "sweet rosie o'grady" 1943, "mother wore tights" & "the shocking miss pilgrim"1947, and "wabash avenue" 1950. maybe even "when my baby smiles at me" 1948, i've never seen it.

hope some fox exec reads this!!

Bluebird (1940) part of Shirley Temple Volume 6 or 7, I think, but available separately

My personal favorite of this set is The Little Princess, a lovely Technicolor movie that is finally being rescued from PD hell, with most videos available featuring washed-out colors :(

Sergio Leone Anthology Set from MGM is going to be released. I was at the Barnes and Noble website and saw that it is coming out June 5, 2007. It is going to feature the The Man with No Name Trilogy as well as Duck you Sucker. It is going to be on eight discs.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate the slim-line boxsets. I just received the "Errol Flynn Signature Collection II" and they're in Slim Boxes, and not individually wrapped. They still contain "Warner's Night at the Movies", with extras. But they do look cheap , and save about 2 inches in space total. I almost ripped the box trying to get out "Gentleman Jim" I would throw out the box if I could put them neatly on a shelf without needing a magnifying glass to read the side cover.

vallo

> I hate the slim-line boxsets. I just received the

> "Errol Flynn Signature Collection II" and they're in

> Slim Boxes, and not individually wrapped. They still

> contain "Warner's Night at the Movies", with extras.

> But they do look cheap , and save about 2 inches in

> space total. I almost ripped the box trying to get

> out "Gentleman Jim" I would throw out the box if I

> could put them neatly on a shelf without needing a

> magnifying glass to read the side cover.

>

> vallo

It's also most inconvenient for those of us with manicures! ;) Every time I go to pull one out I ruin my nails. *sigh* If these are my only problems, I should NOT complain. Hee!

WBHV has announced the Esther Williams Collection for July 17. Films in the set are DANGEROUS WHEN WET, ON AN ISLAND WITH YOU, NEPTUNE'S DAUGHTER, EASY TO WED and BATHING BEAUTY. Looks like this is Vol 1 since such films as MILLION DOLLAR MERMAID, JUPITERS DARLING AND PAGAN LOVE SONG are missing. More details to follow.....