Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Much of TT releases have been unimpressive films that I could not bother with especially with the high price tag. The latest AT LONG LAST LOVE, an awful bomb. I can't believe people would want to spend big bucks on this awful film. The same with the remake of LOST HORIZON. But then I guess there is a very small market for people who must have all these BR releses. Also, I think these same people would buy these films even if TT charged $75 each.

I am interested in SONG OF BERNADETTE and LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN. Don't understand FOX passing on releasing these two classics on BR.

With Schindler's List coming out on Blu in a few weeks, I noticed that will mean that 84 of the AFI's Top 100 movies of All Time are now on Blu-ray. Pretty good! The ones that are not yet on Blu are:

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

The Philadelphia Story

Shane

It Happened One Night

Intolerance

Nashville

Duck Soup

Sullivan's Travels

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Tootsie

In the Heat of the Night

A Night At The Opera

Bringing Up Baby

Swing Time

Sophie's Choice

Yankee Doodle Dandy

filmlover, I sprang for both TITANIC and CLEOPATRA from Amazon UK. I believe the prices went down on these two and such good prices I could not resist. Even with postage its a bargain. I don't know what the delay in releasing CLEOPATRA in this country is.

I have just started watching the Blu of The Jazz Singer and I am surprised by the amount of restoration that has been done. I have the DVD set that came out a few years ago, and they touted THAT as "Painstakingly Restored and Remastered." But look at these sample differences I took pictures of and notice how abundant the vertical lines are in the DVD (what they called "painstakingly restored"):

(The top is the DVD and the bottom is the Blu-ray)

8453281033_170a1c5fe5_z.jpg

8453281185_cd12db7f77_z.jpg

Closer photo of both:

8453281261_29f0679d63_z.jpg

8453280747_d555e8895d_z.jpg

Another scene:

8453280941_168f837c9d_z.jpg

8453280839_80c1970254_z.jpg

Filmlover, thanks for the info about THIEF OF BAGDAD. Might consider putting this on my want list. I am selective about silent films but this looks like a must have. I am considering THE JAZZ SINGER, but unless I can get a real cheap price I will hold off for a while. This one is not a must have for me. Amazingly GUYS AND DOLLS is still priced high including used copies which I sometimes buy. Eventunally the price will drop or a sale will coming along so I will wait for this one too.

Movies Unlimited is offering three more exclusive releases on 3/28:

THE MERRY WIDOW, Janette Macdonald, Maurice Chevalier

CAT AND THE FIFFLE, Janette MacDonald, Ramon Navarro

LET FREEDOM RING, Nelson Eddy

As with other exclusives these three titles will eventually be available through the Warner Archives.

The Criterion Collection has announced five titles for Blu-ray release in May. On May 7th, the studio will release Jean-Luc Godard's *Band of Outsiders* (1964). On My 14th, it will release Delmer Daves' *Jubal* (1956) and *3:10 to Yuma* (1957). A week later, it will release Haskell Wexler's *Medium Cool* (1969). And on May 28th, it will release Mike Leigh's *Life is Sweet* (1990).

Special features:

*Band of Outsiders:*

* New digital master of Gaumont's recent high-definition restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

* Visual glossary of references and wordplay found in Band of Outsiders

* Exclusive interviews with cinematographer Raoul Coutard and actor Anna Karina

* Excerpts from a 1964 interview with director Jean-Luc Godard, including rare behind-the-scenes footage from the film

* Filmmaker Agnès Varda's 1961 silent comedy Les fiancés du pont Mac Donald, starring Godard and Karina and featuring other members of the Band of Outsiders cast

* Godard's original theatrical trailer and the 2001 U.S. rerelease trailer

* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by poet and critic Joshua Clover, Godard's character descriptions for the film's 1964 press book, and an interview with the director from the same year

*Jubal:*

A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones

*3:10 to Yuma*

Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition

New interviews with author Elmore Leonard and Glenn Ford's son and biographer, Peter Ford

PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones

*Medium Cool*

New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Haskell Wexler, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

* Two audio commentaries, one featuring Wexler, actor Marianna Hill, and editor Paul Golding, the other featuring historian Paul Cronin

* New interview with Wexler

* Look Out Haskell, It's Real!, a fifty-five-minute documentary about the making of Medium Cool, produced by Cronin and featuring interviews with Wexler, Golding, actors Verna Bloom, Peter Bonerz, and Robert Forster, Chicago historian Studs Terkel, and others

* Excerpts from Sooner or Later, a documentary by Cronin about Harold Blankenship, who plays the adolescent Harold in the film

* Original theatrical trailer

* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic and programmer Thomas Beard

*Life Is Sweet*

New high-definition digital restoration, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

* New audio commentary featuring director Mike Leigh

* Audio recording of a 1991 interview with Leigh at the National Film Theatre in London

* More!

* PLUS: A booket featuring an essay by critic David Sterritt

Three more titles are coming from Olive Films on *April 23rd*. All will be released on both standard DVD and Blu-Ray.

The Red Pony (1949) - Myrna Loy, Robert Mitchum, Louis Calhern, Shepperd Strudwick, Peter Miles

Santa Fe Stampede (1938) - John Wayne, Ray Corrigan, Max Terhune, June Martel

Wake of the Red Witch (1949) - John Wayne, Gail Russell, Gig Young, Adele Mara

Olive will be releasing on Blu and DVD on April 30th:

Cloak and Dagger (1946) - Gary Cooper, Lilli Palmer, Robert Alda

The Enforcer (1951) - Humphrey Bogart, Zero Mostel, Ted de Corsia, Everett Sloane

Hoodlum Empire (1952) - Brian Donlevy, Claire Trevor, Forrest Tucker, Vera Ralston, Luther Adler, John Russell, Gene Lockhart, Grant Withers

The Lonely Trail (1936) - John Wayne, Ann Rutherford, Cy Kendall

Results are in for FoxConnect's Voice Your Choice campaign. Seems they're releasing the top 2 films from each decade plus the #1 write-in title, 1933's best picture Oscar winner, Cavalcade. The other choices are:

Jesse James (1939)

The Call of the Wild (1935)

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)

The Black Swan (1942)

Carmen Jones (1954)

Desk Set (1957)

North to Alaska (1960)

Undefeated (1969)

Here's the full press release:

https://foxconsumerchoice.foxfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/VYC_Release_Winners_FINAL.pdf?l=en-us

But we have to wait until December??? I wish FOX would do something better with their MOD's. Releasing such films as TENDER IS THE NIGHT, 23 PACES TO BAKER STREET and BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE in PAN AND SCAN is pretty disgusting.

This summer VCI will be releasing more films from the RANK ORGANISATION. Here are some of the titles:

HUNTED (1952) - Dirk Bogarde

THE SPANISH GARDNER (1956) - Dirk Bogarde

MAD ABOUT MEN (1954) - Glynis Johns

DEAR MR. PROHACK (1949) - Dirk Bogarde, Glynis Johns

Updated details about the upcoming Blu-ray Warner Bros. Ultimate Gangsters Collection - Classic:

The 4 titles will also be available individually. May 21st is the release date.

These are the extras for each title

*Little Caesar* (1931)

* Commentary by film historian Robert Sklar

* Leonard Maltin hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1931

* Featurette Beer and Blood: Enemies of the Public

*The Public Enemy* (1931)

* Commentary by film historian Richard B. Jewell

* Leonard Maltin hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1930

* Featurette Little Caesar: End of Rico, Beginning of the Antihero

*The Petrified Forest *(1936)

* Commentary by Bogart biographer Eric Lax

* Leonard Maltin hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1936

* Featurette The Petrified Forest: Menace in the Desert

*White Heat* (1949)

Commentary by Film Historian Drew Casper Leonard Maltin hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1949 White Heat: Top of the World

Now this is more like it...On July 9 FOX will release BLOOD AND SAND with Tyrone Power, Rita Hayworth and Linda Darnell in Blu Ray. Hope there are more like this one coming besides the voted on classics being released in December.

Amazon now has the collection listed for $34.99. Excellent price ($8.75 per title).

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Gangsters-Collection-Classic-Blu-ray/dp/B00BCGUJ5M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363384276&sr=8-2&keywords=ultimategangstersblu-ray

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}Updated details about the upcoming Blu-ray Warner Bros. Ultimate Gangsters Collection - Classic:

>

> The 4 titles will also be available individually. May 21st is the release date.

>

> These are the extras for each title

>

>

>

>

> *Little Caesar* (1931)

>

>

>

> * Commentary by film historian Robert Sklar

> * Leonard Maltin hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1931

> * Featurette Beer and Blood: Enemies of the Public

>

> *The Public Enemy* (1931)

>

> * Commentary by film historian Richard B. Jewell

> * Leonard Maltin hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1930

> * Featurette Little Caesar: End of Rico, Beginning of the Antihero

>

> *The Petrified Forest *(1936)

>

> * Commentary by Bogart biographer Eric Lax

> * Leonard Maltin hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1936

> * Featurette The Petrified Forest: Menace in the Desert

>

> *White Heat* (1949)

>

> Commentary by Film Historian Drew Casper Leonard Maltin hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1949 White Heat: Top of the World