Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Criterion releases for June:

The Criterion Collection has announced five titles for Blu-ray release in June. On June 11, the studio will release Ingmar Bergman's Wild Strawberries (1957). On June 18th, it will release William Cameron Menzies' Things to Come (1936), František Vlácil's Marketa Lazarová (1967), and Fred Newmeyer and Sam Taylor's Safety Last! (1923). And on June 25th, it will release Claude Lanzmann's Shoah (1985).

Special features:

Wild Strawberries - Blu-ray

Special Features:

* New high-definition digital film transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

* Audio commentary by film scholar Peter Cowie

* Introduction by director Ingmar Bergman

* Ingmar Bergman on Life and Work, a ninety-minute documentary by filmmaker and author Jörn Donner

* Behind-the-scenes footage shot by Bergman

* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film writer Mark Le Fanu

Things to Come- DVD and Blu-ray

New high-definition digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

* Audio commentary featuring film historian and writer David Kalat

* Interview with writer and cultural historian Christopher Frayling on the film's design

* Film historian Bruce Eder on Arthur Bliss's musical score

* Audio recording from 1936 of a reading from H. G. Wells's writing about the "wandering sickness," the plague in Things to Come

* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Geoffrey O'Brien

* More!

Marketa Lazarova - DVD and Blu-ray

* New high-definition digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

* New interviews with actors Magda Vášáryová, Ivan Palúch, and Vlastimil Harapes and costume designer Theodor Pištek

* New interviews with film historian Peter Hames and journalist and critic Antonín Liehm

* New English subtitle translation

* PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by film scholar Tom Gunning and author and translator Alex Zucker and a 1969 interview with Vlácil by Liehm

* More!

Safety Last - DVD and Blu-ray

New 2K digital film restoration

* Musical score by composer Carl Davis from 1989, synchronized and restored under his supervision and presented in uncompressed stereo on the Blu-ray edition

* Alternate score by organist Gaylord Carter from the late 1960s, presented in uncompressed monaural on the Blu-ray edition

* Audio commentary featuring film critic Leonard Maltin and director and Harold Lloyd archivist Richard Correll

* Introduction by Suzanne Lloyd, Lloyd's granddaughter and president of Harold Lloyd Entertainment

* Harold Lloyd: The Third Genius, a 104-minute documentary from 1989

* Three newly restored Lloyd shorts: Take a Chance (1918), Young Mr. Jazz (1919), and His Royal Slyness (1920), with commentary by Correll and film writer John Bengtson

* Locations and Effects, a new documentary featuring Bengtson and special effects expert Craig Barron

* New interview with Davis

* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Ed Park

Shoah - DVD and Blu-ray

New high-definition digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

Three additional films by director Claude Lanzmann: A Visitor from the Living (1999, 68 minutes), Sobibor, October 14, 1943, 4 p.m. (2001, 102 minutes), and The Karski Report (2010, 54 minutes) New conversation between critic Serge Toubiana and Lanzmann Interview with Lanzmann about A Visitor from the Living and Sobibor New conversation between associate director of photography Caroline Champetier and filmmaker Arnaud Desplechin Trailer PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones and writings by Lanzmann

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}Two Bette Davis films coming on Blu-ray from Kino on June 18th:

>

> Howard Higgin's Hell's House (1932)

> John Cromwell's Of Human Bondage (1934)

filmlover, are they releasing Hell's House on Blu only? I don't intend to upgrade to Blu just to see one of Bette's early and minor films remastered. If this is only on Blu it would make about as much sense as putting James Cagney's first film, "Sinners Holiday", on Blu only.

End of rant.

Warner Bros. will release on Blu-ray Shane and The Odd Couple on June 4th.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release on Blu-ray Funny Girl on April 30th.

Special Features:

* Featurette: Barbra in Movieland

* Featurette: This is Streisand

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and Twentieth Century Fox will release on Blu The Great Escape on May 7th, using an all-new high-definition transfer struck from a 4K master.

Special Features:

* Audio Commentary by Director John Sturges, Cast & Crew

* The Great Escape: Bringing Fact to Fiction

* The Great Escape: Preparations for Freedom

* The Great Escape: The Flight to Freedom

* The Great Escape: A Standing Ovation

* The Great Escape: The Untold Story

* The Great Escape: The Untold Story – Additional Interviews

* A Real Virgil Hilts: A Man Called Jones

* Return to The Great Escape

* Original Theatrical Trailer

Universal Studios Home Entertainment is releasing individual versions of four films from the Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection: Saboteur (1942) and Rope (1948) on May 7th, Shadow of a Doubt (1943) on June 4th and The Trouble with Harry (1955) on July 2nd.

Universal has also announced the individual Blu-ray releases of four classic horror movies originally available as part of the Universal Classic Monsters Essentials Collection box set: The Mummy (1932), The Invisible Man (1933), Phantom of the Opera (1943) and Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954). All four titles (dubbed Wave 1) street on June 4th.

Classic Monsters Wave 2 will presumably include Dracula (1931), Frankenstein (1931), Bride of Frankenstein (1935) and The Wolf Man (1941), and is currently expected to arrive this Fall, in time for Halloween.

From Olive in May on DVD and Blu-ray

The Magic Christian (Peter Sellers, Ringo Starr, and a whole lot of other guest stars)

Shanks (directed by William Castle, and starring Marcel Marceau)

The Girl Who Knew Too Much (Adam West and Nancy Kwan)

The File On Thelma Jordan (Barbara Stanwyck)

Blowing Wild (Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck)

Reuben, Reuben (Tom Conti)

Dark Command (John Wayne, Claire Trevor)

In Old California (John Wayne)

Lady From Louisiana (John Wayne)

The Grass Is Greener (Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr, Robert Mitchum)

Father Goose (Cary Grant, Lesie Caron)

Twilight Time has detailed the Blu-ray edition of Major Dundee starring Charlton Heston, Richard Harris, Senta Berger, Jim Hutton and James Coburn. Limited to 3,000 copies, it is set for an April 15th release.

This two-disc set features the original 122-minute theatrical release of the film, plus the 136-minute 2005 extended version. Special features include:

Disc One: The Extended Version

Audio Commentary with Film Historians Nick Redman, Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons, and David Weddle

* Isolated Score Track: Christopher Caliendo

* 2005 Re-Release Trailer

Disc Two: The Theatrical Cut

Audio Commentary with Film Historians Nick Redman, Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons, and David Weddle

* Isolated Score Track: Christopher Caliendo

* 2005 Re-Release Trailer

* Isolated Score Track: Daniele Amfitheatriof

* Silent Extended Outtakes

* Trailer Artwork Outtakes

* Exhibitor Promo Reel Excerpt

* Extended Scene: "Major Dundee and Teresa"

* Incomplete Deleted Scene: "Knife Fight"

* Original Theatrical Trailer

filmlover, I wonder if TT will port ove the extras on their upcoming SONG OF BERNADETTE from FOX.

Olive really putting out lots of BR, but prices totally out of line. Its even hard to get a decent price on these used. And I still have not gotten a good price on GUYS AND DOLLS. Even the used is selling for $24.00. Price just stays up on this one which is unusal being its been in release for a couple months now. Did see it for $18.99 used and it got grabbed up ASAP.

Any idea when the next B&N sale is coming?

Cohen Media will release Perfect Understanding, starring Gloria Swanson and Laurence Olivier, on Blu-ray and DVD on June 4th.

They are also remastering for high definition for Blu-ray and DVD six Paul Robeson films. Titles unknown at this time.

I've listed these on the Archives but thought I would list them here too. 2 more rare Goldwyn films on MOD are now available:

WHOOPEE

KID MILLIONS

Edited by: Edgecliff on Apr 11, 2013 6:44 PM

Costco has four Criterions on Blu-ray for $19.99 each:

The Game
Rosemary's Baby
Anatomy of a Murder
The Man Who Knew Too Much

and these Blu-ray Fox titles for $12.99 each:

Panic in the Streets
River of No Return
Hello, Dolly! (which I have purchased and it looks and sounds fantastic!)

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}Two Bette Davis films coming on Blu-ray from Kino on June 18th:

>

> Howard Higgin's Hell's House (1932)

> John Cromwell's Of Human Bondage (1934)

filmlover,you answered a post of mine regarding whether or not Hell's House was on standard DVD. You said it was. I believe you may be mistaken. I've looked all over for a press release, or even a placeholder on Amazon for the DVD. All I can find is a placeholder on Amazon for the Blu release of Hell's House. Correct me if I am wrong - I hope I am for I have no use for Blu.

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}Two Bette Davis films coming on Blu-ray from Kino on June 18th:

> >

> > Howard Higgin's Hell's House (1932)

> > John Cromwell's Of Human Bondage (1934)

> >

> filmlover,you answered a post of mine regarding whether or not Hell's House was on standard DVD. You said it was. I believe you may be mistaken. I've looked all over for a press release, or even a placeholder on Amazon for the DVD. All I can find is a placeholder on Amazon for the Blu release of Hell's House. Correct me if I am wrong - I hope I am for I have no use for Blu.

Pre-order for restored DVD:

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hells-House-Classics-Remastered-Edition/dp/B00BUSYTQW

classicflix: http://www.classicflix.com/hells-house-p-735.html

Or you can get the old Alpha Video: http://www.amazon.com/Hells-House-Bette-Davis/dp/B0000AGWM9/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365860434&sr=8-3&keywords=hell%27s+house

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}Two Bette Davis films coming on Blu-ray from Kino on June 18th:

> > >

> > > Howard Higgin's Hell's House (1932)

> > > John Cromwell's Of Human Bondage (1934)

> > >

> > filmlover,you answered a post of mine regarding whether or not Hell's House was on standard DVD. You said it was. I believe you may be mistaken. I've looked all over for a press release, or even a placeholder on Amazon for the DVD. All I can find is a placeholder on Amazon for the Blu release of Hell's House. Correct me if I am wrong - I hope I am for I have no use for Blu.

> Pre-order for restored DVD:

>

> Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hells-House-Classics-Remastered-Edition/dp/B00BUSYTQW

>

> classicflix: http://www.classicflix.com/hells-house-p-735.html

>

> Or you can get the old Alpha Video: http://www.amazon.com/Hells-House-Bette-Davis/dp/B0000AGWM9/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365860434&sr=8-3&keywords=hell%27s+houseThanks!

Hard to believe a month has gone by, already, since the last notification, but here are the Criterions announced for July...

On July 9th, the studio will release Kenji Mizoguchi's The Life of Oharu (1952). On July 16th, it will release Peter Brook's Lord of the Flies (1963). On July 23rd, it will release Gabriel Axel's Babette's Feast (1987) and Ang Lee's The Ice Storm (1997). And on July 30th, it will release Guillermo del Toro's The Devil's Backbone (2001).

Film Chest, a company that deals with public domain titles, is releasing *Second Chorus*, starring Fred Astaire and Paulette Goddard, on May 14th. It will be a combo pack containing Blu-ray and DVD.

The extras are:

Audio Commentary by Author Tom Santopietro ("Sinatra in Hollywood", "Considering Doris Day")

Before-and-After Restoration Demo

Movie Trailer

Original Movie Art Postcard

• 2 weeks later...

Foolish Wives from Kino on Blu-ray on July 30th.

Extras:

The Man You Loved To Hate (1979, 78 min.) blends revealing interviews, rare photographs and clips from von Stroheim's legendary and lesser-known works to create a fascinating tribute to one of American cinema's most complex artists.

More details about the 75th anniversary edition of *The Wizard of Oz*:

8717870380_13b04aeb3f.jpg

Hours of extra content including:

-Sing-a-long feature with the film

-Complete Magic Cloak of Oz silent shorts (60 min)

-All-new making-of Documentary

-The Dreamer of Oz TV Special (101 min)

-Munchkins at the Hollywood Walk of Fame Featurette (20 min)

-Patchwork Girl of Oz (60 min)

-6 hr. MGM Documentary When the Lion Roars (exclusive to Blu-Ray)

Exclusive Promotional Items:

-48 pg Hardcover Photo Book

-Ruby Slippers Sparkle Globe

-Collectible Award Pin Set by The Noble Collection

-Journal

-Frameable Map of Oz

Amazon exclusive Promotional Item:

-4 GB "Wicked Witch of the East" flash drive

So, looking at the above, it looks like it will contain all the things on the 70th anniversary discs, plus maybe that documentary is new. It is minus the campaign book advertising material and the watch, and the book is different. But it has a 3D-converted version of the movie, in addition to the regular 2D version (I think this played theatres recently).

If you don't want all the misc in the boxed version, you can get the 3D Blu + 2D Blu together

8717870398_3481b893fb_m.jpg

or just the 2D Blu version

8717870408_06a9a42196_m.jpg

Amazon has all up for order right now.

And, yes, there are rumors of a 75th edition of GWTW.

some additional info on Foolish Wives Bluray:

In 2008, Foolish Wives was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foolish_Wives

Kudos to Kino!

Kino's previous DVD release of Foolish Wives featured the most complete version of this, once 6+ hour film, to date.

That version was reconstructed by Arthur Lennig for The American Film Institute from multiple sources.

"The original titles have been restored and much of the footage eliminated over the years has been replaced".

The DVD also includes The Man You Love To Hate documentary

and I'd expect we'll likely see the other DVD special features carried over to Blu:

Audio commentary by von Stroheim biographer Richard Koszarski

Original 1922 Sigmund Romberg score, performed by Rodney Sauer

New York Censor Board cuts

Gallery of production stills

A note on the films by von Stroheim

Audio clips of Valerie von Stroheim and Paul Kohner

What does appear to be new with this release aside from the format is a "35MM Archival Restoration" that should make upgrading well worth the additional expenditure.

farn$