Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, well, I removed Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye like 3 minutes after I posted it realizing I'd posted that one in error so you must not have refreshed the page?

As for the other titles

I relied on the forum search function and searched all of these titles more than once. I'm not going to go back and manually search the thread page after page for each title. I did set the forum searches for only this year trying to filter out many older, numerous posts not in chronological order. (I thought) the ONLY search result for "Shane" this year was your post from February saying it's one of 14 AFI top 100 not yet out on blu. I now realize that I needed to expand the results to show all results within the thread. (Don't use the search function here much anymore, obviously).

So that was my big error but quite sure it won't happen again.

I did make an honest effort not to include anything previously mentioned and actually took the time to cross-check. Also, most post-codes are of passing interest to me so I'm less likely to remember their mention or I might know of their inclusion in a Hitch set, for example.

So change that item to Torn Curtain will be released as an _individual_ title on October 1st.

Of even less interest to me was Shaft (a 70s movie, or so I thought - you can see I provided few details on that one) so no, I didn't even realize it was a newer version and agree that one doesn't belong - I've "struck" it out.

Anyhow sorry for the re-post - I was trying to avoid that.

Thanks for the updated info and the reply.

Edited by: farnsbarns on Jul 31, 2013 2:20 AM

*Fantastic Voyage* and *Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea* on Blu-ray Oct. 8

*Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea*

*BONUS FEATURES:*

* Commentary by Author Tim Colliver

* Science Fiction: Fantasy to Reality Documentary

* Barbara Eden Interview

* Original Theatrical Trailer

*Fantastic Voyage*

*BONUS FEATURES:*

* Commentary by Film & Music Historian Jeff Bond

* Isolated Score Track with Commentary by Film & Music Historians Jeff Bond, Jon Burlingame and Nick Redman

* Lava Lamps & Celluloid: A Tribute to the Visual Effects of Fantastic Voyage

* Whirlpool Scene: Storyboard-to-Scene Comparison

* Original Props (with video and stills)

* Original Theatrical Trailer

* 2 TV Spots

* Galleries:

** Deleted Scene: Script-to-Storyboard

** Storyboards: Pre-Miniaturization Sequence

** Production Art & Stills

** Posters

** Lobby Cards

** Interactive Pressbook \ \ \

Edited by: filmlover on Jul 31, 2013 11:40 PM

Yeah, saw that announcement posted earlier today on classicflix, too.

I'll stick more to posting on what interests me like pre-codes, MOD programs, favorites from certain actresses (and I'm not dissing these titles - we all have different tastes).

I only own about a dozen blurays so far (including some more recent titles) since I can view most mainstream bluray titles for free and I wouldn't buy them anyhow.

A bluray has to offer me an appreciable improvement over the DVD version and with older films that's often not the case. That is changing now, especially with 2 and 4k hi-res scans and I foresee purchasing more and more in the future. I plan on buying Foolish Wives, just waiting for a deal on that, and of course Cavalcade and probably Big Parade. Another planned purchase is The Shadow 1994 - the DVD has always been full screen but BD came out early last month and is widescreen.

I often rely on reviews to tell me if a blu is worth the extra cost but I also compared versions with Island of Lost Souls, for example, and saw no real quality difference at least for me.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World was another story. Available from Walmart for $10! and for one thing there was no accompanying DVD release but I can't picture a DVD nearing that quality.

One of the best pictures I've ever seen on my 1080 plasma - dazzling!

Edited by: farnsbarns on Jul 31, 2013 7:37 PM

Following up on Edgecliff's post, I Married A Witch and The Uninvited are now up for advance order on Amazon at $13.99 each for DVD and $19.99 each for Blu-ray:

I Married A Witch

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=I%20criterion%20married%20a%20witch

The Univited

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=criteriontheunivited&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acriteriontheunivited

*Mary Poppins* finally makes its way to Blu-ray on Dec. 10th, obviously tied in to this year's release of "Saving Mr. Banks," the story of Walt Disney (Tom Hanks) trying to get P.L. Travers (Emma Thompson) to let him make "Mary Poppins." This will be a 50th anniversary release, and will undoubtedly be available on DVD, too.

Walt Disney Home Entertainment officially has announced the Diamond Edition Blu-ray releases of *The Jungle Book* and *Sleeping Beauty*. The Jungle Book makes its long-awaited Blu-ray debut on February 11, 2014, while Sleeping Beauty arrives several months later, at an as yet to be specified date in October.

A special note about the Blu-ray/DVD combo release of Cavalcade that just came out. With this release, every Oscar Best Picture Winner has now been released on DVD. Yes, Cavalcade was part of that Fox 75th Anniversary set that cost several hundred dollars, but you had to buy the whole set if you just wanted that one title.

Thanks, Edge, for listing those. I was just about to do the same. Each one has some good special features:

_Cinerama Holiday_

The original Cinerama Holiday breakdown reel

New interviews with original participants

Original 8 mm home movies

A demonstration and comparison of the film's restoration

An amazing scrapbook of images made during production

A booklet reproduction of an original program

And much more!

_Cinerama South Seas Adventure_

Interviews with original participants

A vintage Renault promotional film as originally presented in 3-panel Cinerama

Clips from "In The Wake of Captain Cook," a Carl Dudley short on the South Seas with behind the scenes filming of South Seas Adventure

Many behind the scene stills and promotional materials

A booklet reproduction of an original program

And much more!

Yes, filmlover. Looks nice but I doubt if this is for me. So much coming out (said this before) and I really need to pick and choose. Would like to rent these but rarely do rental. And basically these are just travelogues. After finally waiting so long for GUYS AND DOLLS to come down in price I bought a used for $16.98 and then Amazon dropped the price very soon after. Beautiful looking BR though. Btw what do you think of these very soft bluish color on the site. Seems hard on the eyes to me?

Just a follow-up or correction to an earlier post I made on this thread that the Foolish Wives blu-ray upgrade should be well worth the extra money - that's doubtful. I nixed my planned purchase of it after reading some posts and reviews at Nitrateville and DVDBeaver.

"Archival scan from 35MM footage" is a bit misleading.

(From what I've read ) there is some improved contrast over the DVD version but they basically scanned the same 1970s reconstruction of the film again not the masters that were used for that reconstruction. Doesn't sound like it's worth the extra $30 for a slight upgrade.

Edited by: farnsbarns on Aug 14, 2013 12:59 AM

Disney has released a trailer for the 50th anniversary *Mary Poppins* (first time on Blu-ray). This will be available as a combo Blu-ray/DVD/digital copy set, plus I am sure there will be standalone variations of this. Release date is scheduled for Dec. 10th.

You very rarely go back to the actual archival film elements because of the necessity of keeping them in the best possible condition . For instance, any transfer of a recently rediscovered nitrate film will not be from the actual nitrate film but from the preservation element produced from it. The Sunrise and Passion of Joan of Arc Blu-rays from the UK are like this (and the upcoming U.S. Sunrise Blu-ray will be the same.) Each varying piece would also need to be reassembled again as the film is only recomposed in the newly produced preservation print.

It would be nice if the film could get an updated go around but that's a tough thing to make happen these days and, for what it's worth, the old restoration holds up fairly well (and screencaps are always misleading - Blu and DVD caps usually look very similar if they are from similar sources but when they are actually on the screen moving the differences become much more apparent.)

It is an improvement but I can understand some hesitation about upgrading.

Update of the original *The Fly* that is getting a Blu release on Sept. 10th:

Special Features are:

Audio Commentary with Actor David Hedison and Film Historian David Del Valle

Biography: Vincent Price

Fly Trap: Catching a Classic

Fox Movietone News

Thanks for the knowledgeable and informative reply. There's way much I don't know on the topic.

You have me at least reconsidering it. I'll have to drag out my DVD copy and give it a preview - I've actually never seen the film and wouldn't mind viewing it's opulence for the first time in the best possible quality.

Another difference I read about is the lack of color tinting in this version.

I think I would prefer the B&W unless the tinting was an attempt to somehow match the original hand colored scenes in the film -

and even then tinting's not the same as a detailed coloration.

Edited by: farnsbarns on Aug 15, 2013 1:10 AM

Edited by: farnsbarns on Aug 15, 2013 11:11 AM

Criterion releases for November

On November 12th, Noah Baumbach's Frances Ha (2013) and Charlie Chaplin's City Lights (1931). On November 19th, the studio will release Yasujiro Ozu's Tokyo Story (1953). And on November 26th, the studio will release Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman, a box-set containing 25 films featuring the legendary samurai warrior.

Extras:

City Lights (this will be a DVD/Blu combo)

?New, restored 4K digital film transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray

?New audio commentary by Charlie Chaplin biographer Jeffrey Vance

?Chaplin Today: ?City Lights,? a 2003 documentary on the film?s production, featuring Aardman Animations cofounder Peter Lord

?Chaplin Studios: Creative Freedom by Design, a new interview program featuring visual effects expert Craig Barron

?Archival footage from the production of City Lights, including film from the set, with audio commentary by Chaplin historian Hooman Mehran; a costume test; a rehearsal; and a complete scene not used in the film

?Excerpt from Chaplin?s short film The Champion (1915), along with footage of the director with boxing stars at Chaplin Studios in 1918

?Trailers

?PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Gary Giddins and a 1966 interview with Chaplin

Tokyo Story (combo Blu/DVD set)

?New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray

?Audio commentary featuring Yasujiro Ozu scholar David Desser, editor of Ozu?s ?Tokyo Story?

?I Lived, But . . . , a two-hour documentary from 1953 about Ozu?s life and career, featuring interviews with critics and former cast and crew members

?Talking with Ozu, a forty-minute tribute to the director from 1993, featuring the reflections of filmmakers Lindsay Anderson, Claire Denis, Hou Hsiao-hsien, Aki Kaurism?ki, Stanley Kwan, Paul Schrader, and Wim Wenders

?Trailer

?New English subtitle translation

?PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic David Bordwell

Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (combo Blu/DVD set)

?New digital restorations of all twenty-five films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays

?The Blind Swordsman, a 1978 documentary about Zatoichi portrayer and filmmaker Shintaro Katsu, along with a new interview with its director, John Nathan

?New interview with Asian-film critic Tony Rayns

?Trailers for all twenty-five films

?New English subtitle translations

?PLUS: A book featuring an essay by critic Geoffrey O?Brien; synopses of the films by critic, novelist, and musician Chris D.; ?The Tale of Zatoichi,? the original short story by Kan Shimozawa; and twenty-five new illustrations inspired by the films, by twenty-five different artists

Shout Factory and Werner Herzog Film GMBH announced today an exclusive, multi-picture alliance to bring a library of films by writer/director/producer Werner Herzog, currently being re-mastered in high-definition for new edition releases in North America.

The new partnership gives Shout Factory access to 16 feature-films and documentaries: FITZCARRALDO, AGUIRRE: THE WRATH OF GOD, NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE, THE ENIGMA OF KASPAR HAUSER, WOYZECK, HEART OF GLASS, COBRA VERDE, STROSZEK, FATA MORGANA, LITTLE DIETER NEEDS TO FLY, LESSONS OF DARKNESS, BALLAD OF THE LITTLE SOLDIER, LAND OF SILENCE AND DARKNESS, as well as several other titles.