Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upcoming Releases

JackBurley

Sorry to be a pain about this-- but if they are out of print/out of inventory, then why doesn't the parent company just run a new batch? Why bring Kino into this at all?  

My guess is they have old inventory that they sold to Kino, and now Kino is trying to dump it off on customers as an exclusive offer.

Probably MgM got a better deal licensing these titles out rather than reissuing. Probably mgM/UA could not give a damn about their own library.

Most likely these titles are out of print.

You are wrong about KINO releasing the same UA masters that MGM has released in the past.  MGM released a non anamorphic version of WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION while the KINO release is letterboxed.  In many cases, reading reviews, the image is sharper on the reissue than what MGM had put out.  TWILIGHT TIME licensed some titles too and put them out in Blu Ray.  So its not the same old master that had been circulating in the past. 

• Like 2

You are wrong about KINO releasing the same UA masters that MGM has released in the past.  MGM released a non anamorphic version of WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION while the KINO release is letterboxed.  In many cases, reading reviews, the image is sharper on the reissue than what MGM had put out.  TWILIGHT TIME licensed some titles too and put them out in Blu Ray.  So its not the same old master that had been circulating in the past. 

That's good to know. Thanks for your thorough detective work/research on this matter.

Just read review of BIG HOUSE USA formerly released by MgM and a lousy print.  Kino improves 100 percent.

BIG HOUSE USA was on TCM's schedule a few months ago but then was suddenly removed. I think I first watched it on THIS-TV a few years ago and it was also a lousy print. I liked the movie, though!

Apparently OLIVE has licensed some MGM/UA titles too. 

The following two directed by Robert Wise are set to be released at a date to be announced:

THE CAPTIVE CITY  (1952)

TWO FOR THE SEESAW (1962)

THE CAPTIVE CITY is a great semidocumentary type noir starring John Forsythe. It was originally leased thru UA. Currently, it can be found as a rental at Amazon instant video for $2.99.

• 2 weeks later...

THE CAPTIVE CITY is a great semidocumentary type noir starring John Forsythe. It was originally leased thru UA. Currently, it can be found as a rental at Amazon instant video for $2.99.

I love THE CAPTIVE CITY.  Always felt it was the structure inspiration for INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS.

• Like 1

I love THE CAPTIVE CITY.  Always felt it was the structure inspiration for INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS.

Yes, it's truly great. 

People think of John Forsythe as a television actor. But CAPTIVE CITY and IN COLD BLOOD would make an interesting double feature if TCM ever decided to do a John Forsythe tribute. Throw in TOPAZ and it's even better!

VAI has announced 8/25 as the release date for the TV adaptation of Mary Martin's PETER PAN.

The 1955/1956 NBC telecasts of the B'way musical will be released in HD.

Both versions contain the 1956 performance, while the 1955 staging with the same cast is a Blu-Ray exclusive

UNIVERSAL will release a five-disc W.C. FIELDS COMEDY COLLECTION on October 13th.

Included in the 18 film box set is the 1932 comedy IF I HAD A MILLION, which makes its DVD debut.

I bought a ten-film set Universal released of Field's 30s/early 40s work two years ago. The only ones not included were ALICE IN WONDERLAND, MRS. WIGGS OF THE CABBAGE PATCH and IF I HAD A MILLION. Fields is not really the star--just part of the ensemble in all of those. So I could see why they were left out.

Now we get this announcement. All they had to do was issue MILLION on its own...or maybe release MILLION with ALICE and MRS. WIGGS...that's what I would have done.

I bought a ten-film set Universal released of Field's 30s/early 40s work two years ago. The only ones not included were ALICE IN WONDERLAND, MRS. WIGGS OF THE CABBAGE PATCH and IF I HAD A MILLION. Fields is not really the star--just part of the ensemble in all of those. So I could see why they were left out.

Now we get this announcement. All they had to do was issue MILLION on its own...or maybe release MILLION with ALICE and MRS. WIGGS...that's what I would have done.

Fields not my  cup of tea but I do like him in DAVID COPPERFIELD.  Would buy IF I HAD A MILLION if it comes in a stand alone disc.  Possibility  later on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would think that most people who wanted to own MURDER MY SWEET would already have it. Do people actually re-buy these in the newer format?

In most cases I personally upgrade to Blu Ray when a title that I like is available in that newer format. Also, collectors could be a strange breed. This is a popular title and I am sure it will sell well.

In most cases I personally upgrade to Blu Ray when a title that I like is available in that newer format. Also, collectors could be a strange breed. This is a popular title and I am sure it will sell well.

Yes, and I think that's what they count on-- to be able to keep reissuing it in one form or another. But I think after a point, they saturate the market with some of the same films.

Yes, and I think that's what they count on-- to be able to keep reissuing it in one form or another. But I think after a point, they saturate the market with some of the same films.

[/quote

Many older titles such as KISS ME KATE look spectacular in Blu Ray so many times I will upgrade and sell the older copy. SPARTACUS is another upgrade in Blu Ray which is coming in October.

Many older titles such as KISS ME KATE look spectacular in Blu Ray so many times I will upgrade and sell the older copy. SPARTACUS is another upgrade in Blu Ray which is coming in October.

Sounds like you are being a strategic consumer. Makes sense. 

But after a point, how much better can a movie get?

Also, are we looking at versions that are better now than how audiences first saw them back in 1950-whenever...?