JackBurley

KINO BLU RAY RELEASES FOR NOVEMBER:

PTTFALL, Dick Powell, Lizabeth Scott

THE CROOKED WAY, Sonny Tufts

A BULLET FOR JOEY, Edw. G. Robinson

A CHILD IS WAITING, Burt Lancaster, Judy Garland

THE HURRICANE, John Hall, Dorothy Lamour

THE MASK 3D

Guy Hamilton's The Devil's Disciple is also coming from Kino on 11/24.  A fave of mine.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

CRITERION will release the Harold Lloyd classic SPEEDY on Blu Ray and DVD on 12.8

BONUS FEATURES:

•New 4K digital restoration

•Musical score by composer Carl Davis from 1992, synchronized and restored under his supervision and presented in uncompressed stereo on the Blu-ray

•Audio commentary featuring Bruce Goldstein, director of repertory programming at New York's Film Forum, and Turner Classic Movies program director Scott McGee

•In the Footsteps of "Speedy," a new short documentary by Goldstein about the film's New York locations

•Selection of rare archival footage of baseball legend Babe Ruth, who has a cameo in the film, presented by David Filipi, director of film and video at the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, Ohio

•New visual essay featuring stills of deleted scenes from the film and narrated by Goldstein

•Selection of Lloyd's home movies, narrated by his granddaughter, Suzanne Lloyd

•Bumping into Broadway, a 1919 Lloyd two-reeler, newly restored and with a 2004 score by Robert Israel

•PLUS: An essay by critic Phillip Lopate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CRITERION RELEASES FOR JANUARY

BITTER RICE, Sylvana Mangano

GILDA, Rita Hayworth

BONUS FEATURES:

• New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 2010 by film critic Richard Schickel
  • New interview with film noir historian Eddie Muller
  • Appreciation of Gilda from 2010 featuring filmmakers Martin Scorsese and Baz Luhrmann
  • Rita Hayworth: The Columbia Lady, a 2000 featurette on Hayworth's career as an actor and dancer
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Sheila O'Malley

CRITERION RELEASES FOR JANUARY

BITTER RICE, Sylvana Mangano

GILDA, Rita Hayworth

Interesting to see Criterion take on GILDA. The Columbia Classics division of Sony released a restored version of the film a few years ago. Not sure how Criterion can improve upon that.

SEE BONUS FEATURES ADDED BELOW

Thanks. I am glad people love Rita and love the movie (because I do as well), but I don't agree with some of the over-inflated praise. For one thing, I do not consider Rita Hayworth the Columbia lady. I reserve that title for Jean Arthur.

And actually, none of these actresses spent their entire careers at Columbia. Rita was loaned out several times while under contract to Cohn, and after she left the studio she freelanced all over town and in Europe.

The only Hollywood leading lady that spent her entire career at one studio was Vera Ralston. It is accurate to call her The Republic Lady. Because she was!

Thanks. I am glad people love Rita and love the movie (because I do as well), but I don't agree with some of the over-inflated praise. For one thing, I do not consider Rita Hayworth the Columbia lady. I reserve that title for Jean Arthur.

And actually, none of these actresses spent their entire careers at Columbia. Rita was loaned out several times while under contract to Cohn, and after she left the studio she freelanced all over town and in Europe.

The only Hollywood leading lady that spent her entire career at one studio was Vera Ralston. It is accurate to call her The Republic Lady. Because she was!

Yes,  Jean Arthur is THE Columbia lady and the favorite actress of Capra.

• Like 1

It looks like TCM is releasing two new TCM Greatest Classics collections on December 1.  One is going to feature Eleanor Powell (great choice, imo) and the other is featuring the four "That's Entertainment" films. 

The 'Entertainment' films were all screened in succession on New Year's Eve a few years ago on TCM. 

Yes, Jean Arthur is THE Columbia lady and the favorite actress of Capra.

While I love Jean Arthur, I feel Rita Hayworth has a.much better claim to."Columbia Lady". Jean starred there for approximately a decade, and she didn't film there exclusively, going on loan to the likes of Paramount and RKO. Rita was at Columbia for over 20 years, and was the studio's biggest star for most of the 40s and 50s. Harry Cohn also felt she was his prize star for most of this tenure.

While I love Jean Arthur, I feel Rita Hayworth has a.much better claim to."Columbia Lady". Jean starred there for approximately a decade, and she didn't film there exclusively, going on loan to the likes of Paramount and RKO. Rita was at Columbia for over 20 years, and was the studio's biggest star for most of the 40s and 50s. Harry Cohn also felt she was his prize star for most of this tenure.

As Frank Sinatra had said "Rita Hayworth is Columbia" and that is why he took second billing to her in PAL JOEY.  I too love Jean Arthur but she  mostly worked with Capra during the 30s at Columbia. I do not think she was ever the reining queen at Columbia although she was one of their biggest stars in the 1930s.

• Like 1

After a long absence TCM/Vault collection has a new release:

Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Taylor in THE NIGHT WALKER (1964) and Leslie Nielsen in DARK INTRUDER 

THE NIGHT WALKER aired not long ago on Svengoolie's program. So there should be a fair amount of renewed interest in it.

• 2 weeks later...

TWILIGHT TIME...DECEMBER BLU RAY RELEASES

BORN FREE (1966)

KINGS GO FORTH (1958)

THE DETECTIVE (1968)

MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1961)

EdgeCliffe, 

Have you ever purchased any of the Twilight Time releases? I see that they've released many of my favorite films, but I am reluctant to spend the money on them.  Are their releases worth the high price tag? 

TWILIGHT TIME...DECEMBER BLU RAY RELEASES

BORN FREE (1966)

KINGS GO FORTH (1958)

THE DETECTIVE (1968)

MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1961)

The releases of KINGS GO FORTH and THE DETECTIVE are timed to coincide with Frank Sinatra as TCM's December Star of the Month (as well as Sinatra's 100th birthday).