Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upcoming Releases

JackBurley

FLICKER ALLEY is releasing restored versions in Blu Ray of the following film noirs in April:

WOMAN ON THE RUN, Ann Sheridan

TOO LATE FOR TEARS, Lizabeth Scott, Dan Duryea

Amazon is listing these two for pre-order at retail price of $39.95 each.  Very pricey and rivals Criterion in price.  Flicker Alley prices their new releases too high for my pocket.  I am sure the prints will look very good knowing this company. There will be several bonus features including commentary. 

• Like 2

FLICKER ALLEY is releasing restored versions in Blu Ray of the following film noirs in April:

WOMAN ON THE RUN, Ann Sheridan

TOO LATE FOR TEARS, Lizabeth Scott, Dan Duryea

Amazon is listing these two for pre-order at retail price of $39.95 each.  Very pricey and rivals Criterion in price.  Flicker Alley prices their new releases too high for my pocket.  I am sure the prints will look very good knowing this company. There will be several bonus features including commentary. 

I believe both these were restored by the Film Noir Foundation (with help from UCLA). So Flicker Alley did not have much to do with it, except to manufacture and market the discs. 

I believe both these were restored by the Film Noir Foundation (with help from UCLA). So Flicker Alley did not have much to do with it, except to manufacture and market the discs. 

My complaint is the high prices Flicker Alley charges for their new releases.  I wait for the 50% off on Criterion sales, but it will be hard to find cheaper prices for these two film noir releases.

• Like 1

My complaint is the high prices Flicker Alley charges for their new releases.  I wait for the 50% off on Criterion sales, but it will be hard to find cheaper prices for these two film noir releases.

I am sure there are reasons for the hefty price tag. Greed being one of them. But also, the Film Noir Foundation probably is trying to make money off it in order to fund other restorations for films that desperately need to be preserved. 

I am sure there are reasons for the hefty price tag. Greed being one of them. But also, the Film Noir Foundation probably is trying to make money off it in order to fund other restorations for films that desperately need to be preserved. 

I know you are right but unless I can get these two Blu Ray's at a reasonable price I will not purchase them.  They are far from classics and not necessarily a must for my library.  I do think its great the Noir Foundation is putting forth an effort to restore many films. 

• Like 1

APRIL KINO RELEASES:

April 5th:

April 19th:

The Gallant Hours and The Purple Plain will only be available on Blu while the rest will receive DVD and Blu-Ray upgrades.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

MAY/JUNE TWILIGHT TIME RELEASES:

May – I Could Go on Singing (1963), Eureka (1983), Garden of Evil (1954), Cat Ballou (1965), and Appassionata (1975) all on 5/10.

June – Romeo Is Bleeding (1993), Inserts (1975), The House of the Baskervilles (1959), The Member of the Wedding (1952), The Panic in Needle Park (1971), and the Rollerball: Encore Edition (1975) all on 6/14.

• Like 1

Here are BONUS FEATURES for IN A LONELY PLACE:

New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray

• New audio commentary featuring film scholar Dana Polan
  • I'm a Stranger Here Myself, a 1975 documentary about director Nicholas Ray, slightly condensed for this release
  • New interview with biographer Vincent Curcio about actor Gloria Grahame
  • Piece from 2002 featuring filmmaker Curtis Hanson
  • Radio adaptation from 1948 of the original Dorothy B. Hughes novel, broadcast on the program Suspense
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Imogen Sara Smith
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

TWILIGHT TIME NEW RELEASE LIST:

August:

CENTENNIAL SUMMER (1946) BLU-RAY - Aug 12th

September-October:

THE KILLER ELITE (1975) BLU-RAY w/ Noon Wine (1966) - Sept 9th
SALVADOR (1986) BLU-RAY - Sept 9th
THE DOGS OF WAR (1980) BLU-RAY - Sept 9th
CHE! (1969) BLU-RAY - Sept 9th
LA BAMBA (1987) BLU-RAY - Sept 9th
AUDREY ROSE (1977) BLU-RAY - Oct 14th
THE BELIEVERS (1987) BLU-RAY - Oct 14th
THE BLOB (1988) BLU-RAY - Oct 14th
MAN HUNT (1941) BLU-RAY - Oct 14th
UNDER FIRE (1983) BLU-RAY - Oct 14th   

• Like 2

MAY RELEASES FOR OLIVE:

PRIVATE AFFAIRS OF BEL AMI, stars George Sanders, Angela Lansbury

THE KING AND FOUR QUEENS, stars Clark Gable, Eleanor Parker

LEGEND OF THE LOST, stars John Wayne, Sophia Loren

All of those should do brisk business with consumers. I think the first one is among George Sanders' best work. He's excellent and plays the well-heeled cad to a tee.

• 2 weeks later...

May releases:

UNIVERSAL HOLLYWOOD ICONS COLLECTION:

CAROLE LOMBARD: MY MAN GODFREY, LOVE BEFORE BREAKFAST, HANDS ACROSS THE TABLE, TRUE CONFESSION

MARLENE DIETRICH: ANGEL, DESIRE, 7 SINNERS, BLONDE VENUS

These two sets seem to be  reissues of former box set releases.

• Like 1

May releases:

CAROLE LOMBARD: MY MAN GODFREY, LOVE BEFORE BREAKFAST, HANDS ACROSS THE TABLE, TRUE CONFESSION

I think I have the Lombard set. One question: is this a bluray release?

May releases:

That's strange. The original Dietrich set never included 3 of those 4 titles.

JUNE CRITERION TITLES ANNOUNCED

Le Amiche  (1955)  -  June 7

Le Chienne  (1931)  -  June 14

Here Comes Mr. Jordan  (1941)  -  June 14

Fantastic Planet  (1973)  -  June 21

Dr. Strangelove  (1964)   -  June 28

Clouds of Sils Maria  (2015)  -  June 28

• Like 1

May releases:

I believe they were the Glamour collections that were released a few years ago. One thing that is slightly erroneous-- Universal may be issuing them, but they were really Paramount icons of the 30s. There's also a Glamour collection for Mae West and Claudette Colbert.

May releases:

Universal seems to be releasing titles on DVD that are already available as part of the Universal Vault Collection (MOD). That certainly applies to the first three Dietrich titles listed (while Blonde Venus had been a part of the Glamour Collection of Dietrich films released a number of years ago).

Desire is one of her best, a sophisticated comedy supervised by Lubitisch and directed by Frank Borzage, with Marlene as a jewel thief and Gary Cooper as an American tourist who becomes innocently involved with a necklace she has stolen. This film deserves to be better known.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

CRITERION -- JUNE RELEASES

HERE COMES MR. JORDAN

BONUS FEATURES:

• New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation between critic Michael Sragow and independent filmmaker Michael Schlesinger
  • Audio interview from 1991 in which actor Elizabeth Montgomery discusses her father, actor Robert Montgomery
  • Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of Here Comes Mr. Jordan from 1942 starring Cary Grant, Claude Rains, Evelyn Keyes, and James Gleason
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Farran Smith Nehme

DrStrangeloveBlu.jpg

MrJordanBlu.jpgDrStrangeloveBlu.jpg

DR. STRANGELOVE

BONUS FEATURES:

• Restored 4K digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack
  • New interviews with Stanley Kubrick scholars Mick Broderick and Rodney Hill; archivist Richard Daniels; cinematographer and camera innovator Joe Dunton; camera operator Kelvin Pike; and David George, son of Peter George, on whose novel Red Alert the film is based
  • Excerpts from a 1965 audio interview with Kubrick, conducted by Jeremy Bernstein
  • Four short documentaries from 2000, about the making of the film, the sociopolitical climate of the period, the work of actor Peter Sellers, and the artistry of Kubrick
  • Interviews from 1963 with Sellers and actor George C. Scott
  • Excerpt from a 1980 interview with Sellers from NBC's Today show
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by scholar David Bromwich and a 1962 article by screenwriter Terry Southern on the making of the film