Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LATEST UPDATE:

CENTENNIAL SUMMER had a scheduled blu-ray release date (8.12.14) through Twilight Time, but was cancelled last minute due to rights issues of some sort.

Pretty unfortunate.

Did you mean 8.12.16 instead of 14? That happens to be my birthday-- there goes my present to myself. LOL

Did you mean 8.12.16 instead of 14? That happens to be my birthday-- there goes my present to myself. LOL

Copied this info from another site without looking at date. I am thinking this title was supposed to be released in 2014 and was cancelled. Not sure what is going on. Will post any updates when possible. A big disappointment.

Copied this info from another site without looking at date. I am thinking this title was supposed to be released in 2014 and was cancelled. Not sure what is going on. Will post any updates when possible. A big disappointment.

Okay, thanks Edge. Please keep us updated on any new developments about this very elusive title.

KINO - JUNE RELEASES

June 14th:

•GOLD (1934) - Hans Albers, Brigitte Helm

•THE MAGNETIC MONSTER (1953) - Richard Carlson, King Donovan, Jean Byron

June 21st:

•99 RIVER STREET (1953) - John Payne, Evelyn Keyes, Brad Dexter

•HIDDEN FEAR (1957) - John Payne

•SHIELD FOR MURDER (1954) - Edmond O'Brien, Marla English, John Agar, Carolyn Jones

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

July Criterion Titles Announced!

The In-Laws (1979) - July 5

823_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 2003 featuring director Arthur Hiller, actors Alan Arkin and Peter Falk, and writer Andrew Bergman
  • New interview with Arkin
  • In Support of “The In-Laws,” a new interview program featuring actors Ed Begley Jr., Nancy Dussault, James Hong, and David Paymer
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by comedy writer Stephen Winer and a 2011 recollection of the making of the film by Hiller

Muriel, or the Time of Return (1963) - July 19

824_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Excerpt from the 1980 documentary Une approche d’Alain Resnais, révolutionnaire discret
  • Excerpt from a 1969 interview with actor Delphine Seyrig
  • Interview with composer Hans Werner Henze from 1963
  • New interview with film scholar François Thomas, author of L’atelier d’Alain Resnais
  • Trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar James Quandt

A Touch of Zen (1971) - July 19

825_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Documentary from 2012 about director King Hu
  • New interviews with actors Hsu Feng and Shih Chun
  • New interview with filmmaker Ang Lee
  • New interview with film scholar Tony Rayns
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar David Bordwell and notes by Hu from a 1975 Cannes Film Festival press kit

The New World (2005) - July 26

plus Blu-Ray upgrades for 

Carnival of Souls (1962) - July 12

Night and Fog (1955) - July 19

197_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• Excerpt from a 1994 audio interview with director Alain Resnais
  • New interview with documentary filmmaker Joshua Oppenheimer
  • Face aux fantômes, a 99-minute 2009 documentary featuring historian Sylvie Lindeperg that explores the French memory of the Holocaust and the controversy surrounding the film’s release
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar Colin MacCabe 

here's the specs and the new cover art for Carnival of Souls:

63_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• New, restored 4K digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Selected-scene audio commentary featuring director Herk Harvey and screenwriter John Clifford
  • New interview with comedian and writer Dana Gould
  • New video essay by film critic David Cairns
  • The Movie That Wouldn’t Die!, a documentary on the 1989 reunion of the film’s cast and crew
  • The Carnival Tour, a 2000 update on the film’s locations
  • Excerpts from movies made by the Centron Corporation, an industrial film company based in Lawrence, Kansas, that once employed Harvey and Clifford
  • Deleted scenes
  • Outtakes, accompanied by Gene Moore’s organ score
  • History of the Saltair Resort in Salt Lake City, where key scenes in the film were shot
  • Trailer
  • More!
  • PLUS: An essay by writer and programmer Kier-La Janisse

The New World (2005) - July 26

I've often felt that, in theory, Terrence Malick makes the kind of films that I would really like. In practice, though, I find that's not the case. I so wanted to like -- love -- Days of Heaven, but I just didn't. The New World is the exception. I thought it was wonderful. There were at least two versions of it, hopefully they'll both be on the DVD.

Manohla Dargis, reviewing for The New York Times, wrote a review for each version, one in December 2005, another the following month, when an edited version of the film was released.  I remember having seen the film around that time and thinking how perceptive the reviews were.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/23/movies/when-virginia-was-eden-and-other-tales-of-history.html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/20/movies/20worl.html

• Like 1

I've often felt that, in theory, Terrence Malick makes the kind of films that I would really like. In practice, though, I find that's not the case. I so wanted to like -- love -- Days of Heaven, but I just didn't. The New World is the exception. I thought it was wonderful. There were at least two versions of it, hopefully they'll both be on the DVD.

Manohla Dargis, reviewing for The New York Times, wrote a review for each version, one in December 2005, another the following month, when an edited version of the film was released.  I remember having seen the film around that time and thinking how perceptive the reviews were.

Here are the specs from the Criterion site:

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration of the 172-minute extended cut of the film, supervised by cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki and director Terrence Malick and featuring material not released in theaters, with both theatrical and near-field 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Blu-ray
  • High-definition digital transfers of the 150-minute first cut and the 135-minute theatrical cut of the film, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on the Blu-rays
  • New interviews with actors Colin Farrel and Q’orianka Kilcher
  • New program about the making of the film, featuring interviews with producer Sarah Green, production designer Jack Fisk, and costume designer Jacqueline West
  • Making “The New World,” a documentary shot during the production of the film in 2004, directed and edited by Austin Jack Lynch
  • New program about the process of cutting The New World and its various versions, featuring interviews with editors Hank Corwin, Saar Klein, and Mark Yoshikawa
  • Trailers
  • PLUS: A book featuring an essay by film scholar Tom Gunning, a 2006 interview with Lubezki fromAmerican Cinematographer, and a selection of materials that inspired the production 

Here's the cover art, too:

826_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

TWILIGHT TIME RELEASES JULY/AUGUST

THE BLACK STALLION RETURNS (1983) BLU-RAY - July 12th

THE RUSSIA HOUSE (1990) BLU-RAY - July 12th

ZELIG (1983) BLU-RAY - July 12th

THE GANG’S ALL HERE (1943) BLU-RAY - July 12th

MISS SADIE THOMPSON 3D (1953) BLU-RAY - July 12th

BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA (1974) Encore Edition BLU-RAY - Aug 16th

THE GLORY GUYS (1965) BLU-RAY - Aug 16th

THEATRE OF BLOOD (1973) BLU-RAY - Aug 16th

TONY ROME (1967) / LADY IN CEMENT (1968) BLU-RAY - Aug 16th

HARDCORE (1979) BLU-RAY - Aug 16th

• Like 2

kino continues to acquire films from the FOX library and putting them out on Blu Ray. Its unfortunate FOX cares little about their classics.

August releases:

MARK OF ZORRO

RAWHIDE

What does it matter who releases them, as long as they're being made available by someone in a quality format..right?

• 2 weeks later...

CRITERION AUGUST TITLES ANNOUNCED

McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971) - August 9

• Audio commentary from 2002 featuring director Robert Altman and producer David Foster
  • New documentary on the making of the film, featuring actors René Auberjonois, Keith Carradine, and Michael Murphy; casting director Graeme Clifford; and script supervisor Joan Tewkesbury
  • New conversation about the film and Altman’s career between film historians Cari Beauchamp and Rick Jewell
  • Featurette from the film’s production, shot on location in 1970
  • Q&A from 1999 with production designer Leon Ericksen, hosted by the Art Directors Guild Film Society
  • Archival footage from interviews with cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond, in which he discusses his work on the film
  • Gallery of stills from the set by photographer Steve Schapiro
  • Excerpts from two 1971 episodes of The Dick Cavett Show featuring Altman and film critic Pauline Kael
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic Nathaniel Rich

Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words (2015) - August 16

• High-definition digital transfer, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with director Stig Björkman
  • Super 8 home movies shot by Bergman in the 1930s
  • Two deleted scenes, showing Bergman’s daughters reading an essay she wrote at age seventeen and an interview with film historian and Bergman scholar Rosario Tronnolone
  • Extended versions of scenes featuring interviews with actors Sigourney Weaver and Liv Ullmann and Bergman’s daughter Isabella Rossellini and with the three Rossellini siblings
  • Clip from the 1932 film Landskamp, featuring Bergman in her first screen role
  • Outtakes from Bergman’s 1936 film On the Sunny Side
  • Music video for Eva Dahlgren’s song “The Movie About Us,” which is included on the film’s soundtrack
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar Jeanine Basinger

A Taste of Honey (1961) - August 23

• New, restored 4K digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interviews with actors Rita Tushingham and Murray Melvin
  • Audio interview with director and coscreenwriter Tony Richardson, conducted by film critic Gideon Bachmann at the 1962 Cannes Film Festival
  • New interview with Kate Dorney, curator of modern and contemporary theater at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, about A Taste of Honey’s onstage origins
  • Excerpt from a 1960 television interview with A Taste of Honey playwright Shelagh Delaney
  • Momma Don’t Allow (1956), Richardson’s first theatrical film
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar Colin MacCabe

Chimes at Midnight (1966) - August 30

• New digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary featuring film scholar James Naremore, author of The Magic World of Orson Welles
  • New interview with actor Keith Baxter
  • New interview with director Orson Welles’s daughter Beatrice Welles, who appeared in the film at age seven
  • New interview with actor and Welles biographer Simon Callow
  • New interview with film historian Joseph McBride, author of What Ever Happened to Orson Welles?
  • Interview with Welles while at work editing the film, from a 1965 episode of The Merv Griffin Show
  • Trailer

The Immortal Story (1968) - August 30

• New, restored 4K digital transfer of the English-language version of the film, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Alternate French-language version of the film
  • Audio commentary from 2005 featuring film scholar Adrian Martin
  • Portrait: Orson Welles, a 1968 documentary directed by François Reichenbach and Frédéric Rossif
  • New interview with actor Norman Eshley
  • Interview from 2004 with cinematographer Willy Kurant
  • New interview with Welles scholar François Thomas
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic Jonathan Rosenbaum

plus Blu Ray upgrade of

Woman In the Dunes (1964) - August 23

• New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Video essay on the film from 2007 by film scholar James Quandt
  • Four short films from director Hiroshi Teshigahara’s early career: Hokusai (1953), Ikebana (1956),Tokyo 1958 (1958), and Ako (1965)
  • Teshigahara and Abe, a 2007 documentary examining the collaboration between Teshigahara and novelist Kobo Abe, featuring interviews with film scholars Donald Richie and Tadao Sato, film programmer Richard Peña, set designer Arata Isozaki, producer Noriko Nomura, and screenwriter John Nathan
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar Audie Bock and a 1980 interview with Teshigahara

What does it matter who releases them, as long as they're being made available by someone in a quality format..right?

Since the titles are licensed out by both KINO and TWILIGHT TIME, their list price is much higher than what FOX would probably charge.
  • 2 weeks later...

KINO TITLES FOR AUGUST (UPDATED)

August 2nd:

•THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940) - Tyrone Power, Linda Darnell

•RAWHIDE (1951) - Tyrone Power, Susan Hayward

•CANADIAN PACIFIC (1949) - Randolph Scott

•THE CARIBOO TRAUK (1950) - Randolph Scott

August 23rd:

•3 BAD MEN (1926) - George O'Brien, Olive Borden

•CHANDU THE MAGICIAN (1932) - Edmund Lowe, Bela Lugosi

•THE SPIDERS (1919) - Carl de Vogt

August 30th:

•DESTINY (1921) - Lil Dagover, Walter Janssen

3 Bad Men, Chandu, Mark of Zorro, Rawhide and The Spiders will only be available on Blu while the rest will receive DVD and Blu-Ray upgrades.

• Like 1

Since the titles are licensed out by both KINO and TWILIGHT TIME, their list price is much higher than what FOX would probably charge.

That's a valid point. But doesn't it also mean the video and audio quality might be better (as in, you get what you pay for)? I know people were complaining about the quality of the Fox releases.

• 3 weeks later...

FANNY which stars Leslie Caron will make its Blu Ray debut on 9/20 by Shout Factory. The film was originally released by WB whose rights to the film may have expired. It seems unlikely that WB would dole it out to another company for release, something they never seem to do.

• Like 1

Criterion September Titles Announced!

The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (1939)    September 13

Cat People (1942)    September 20

Blood Simple (1985)    September 20

Valley of the Dolls (1967)    September 27

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (1970)   September 27

The Decalogue/Dekalog  (1988)    September 27

Plus Blu Ray Upgrades for 

Night Train to Munich (1940)     September 6

The Zatoichi Box-Set  (1962-1973)    September 13

• Like 1

SUPPLEMENTAL FEATURES FOR CAT PEOPLE:

•New, restored 2K digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray

•Audio commentary from 2005 featuring film historian Gregory Mank, with excerpts from an audio interview with actor Simone Simon

•Val Lewton: The Man in the Shadows, a 2008 feature-length documentary that explores the life and career of the legendary Hollywood producer

•Interview with director Jacques Tourneur from 1977

•New interview with cinematographer John Bailey about the look of the film

•Trailer

•PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien

• Like 1

KINO BLU RAY TITLES FOR SEPTEMBER:

DADDY LONG LEGS (1955), stars Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron

CRY OF THE CITY (1948) starring Victor Mature

ROAD HOUSE (1948), stars Ida Lupino, Cornel Wilde, Richard Widmark

THE ENEMY BELOW (1957)

FIXED BAYONETS (1951)

• Like 1

KINO BLU RAY TITLES FOR SEPTEMBER:

DADDY LONG LEGS (1955), stars Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron

CRY OF THE CITY (1948) starring Victor Mature

ROAD HOUSE (1948), stars Ida Lupino, Cornel Wilde, Richard Widmark

THE ENEMY BELOW (1957)

FIXED BAYONETS (1951)

Nice to see so many Fox classics from the golden age of Hollywood being released on home video.