Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

On 2/15/2019 at 8:04 PM, LawrenceA said:

Yes, I like that film a lot, as well. I know a lot of people don't, specifically Crouse's performance, but I didn't mind it. Plus Mamet's style puts a lot of people off. Of the films that Mamet has directed, I also liked HomicideSpartanThe Spanish PrisonerHeist, and Redbelt.

I haven't seen those other ones. It would be nice if TCM did an evening of Mamet-related films.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Warner Archive goes back to classics in March as they celebrate the 10th anniversary of the line. (time flies!) Many first time DVD releases... including a slew of early talkies. 

A Woman of Affairs (1928)

Coquette (1929)

The Mysterious Island (1929)

Wise Girls (1929)

The Lady of Scandal (1930)

Spring is Here (1930)

Way Out West (1930)

Beau Bandit (1930)

Men of the North (1930)

The Star Witness (1931)

Rockabye (1932)

Night Court (1932)

Our Betters (1933)

Headline Shooter (1933)

Snowed Under (1936)

In Person (1935)

The King and the Chorus Girl (1937)

Super Sleuth (1937)

Broadway Musketeers (1938)

Twice Blessed (1945)

Her Twelve Men (1954)

 

And the Blu-Rays:

The Jazz Singer (1927)

Cleopatra Jones (1973)

The Glass Bottom Boat (1966)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

June Criterion Titles Announced

 

Swing Time  (1936)        June 11

EzHLCBjl22SE5gjampFrkpS7SCKJmA_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

  • New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 1986 featuring John Mueller, author of Astaire Dancing: The Musical Films
  • Archival interviews with performers Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers and choreographer Hermes Pan
  • New interview with George Stevens Jr.
  • In Full Swing, a new program on the film’s choreography and soundtrack featuring jazz and film critic Gary Giddins, dance critic Brian Seibert, and Dorothy Fields biographer Deborah Grace Winer
  • New interview with film scholar Mia Mask on the “Bojangles of Harlem” number
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Imogen Sara Smith

 

L'humanite  (1999)        June 18

CU7xzGY5rwZS2wKOzGULe0JWSURUyN_small.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

  • New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Bruno Dumont, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with Dumont
  • Conversation between Dumont and critic Philippe Rouyer from 2014
  • Segment from the French television program Tendences featuring actress Séverine Caneele
  • Segment from a 1999 French television news program featuring Dumont
  • Trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Nicholas Elliott

 

La vie de Jesus  (1997)        June 18

GWIBIOQgKgUGxxpdojBgVS33vpTO6B_small.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

  • New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Bruno Dumont, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with Dumont
  • Conversation between Dumont and critic Philippe Rouyer from 2014
  • Excerpts from two 1997 episodes of the French television program Le cercle de minuit
  • Trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Nicholas Elliott

 

Hedwig and the Angry Inch  (2001)        June 25

r6jMm8TJwfxzntIo63jl208R8pfXcA_small.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

  • New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director John Cameron Mitchell and cinematographer Frank DeMarco, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 2001 featuring Mitchell and DeMarco
  • New conversation between members of the cast and crew, including Mitchell, DeMarco, composer and lyricist Stephen Trask, hairstylist and makeup artist Michael Potter, animator Emily Hubley, actor Miriam Shor, and visual consultant Miguel Villalobos
  • Whether You Like It or Not: The Story of Hedwig (2003), an eighty-five-minute documentary tracing the development of the project from its beginnings in a New York club to its theatrical premiere at the Sundance Film Festival
  • New conversation between Trask and rock critic David Fricke about the film’s soundtrack
  • From the Archives, a new program exploring Hedwig’s production and legacy through its memorabilia
  • Deleted scenes with commentary by Mitchell and DeMarco
  • Trailer
  • More!
  • PLUS: An essay by Stephanie Zacharek, along with, for the Blu-ray edition, production photos by Potter and costume designer Arianne Phillips, illustrations by Hubley, and excerpts from two of the films inspirations, Plato’s Symposium and The Gospel of Thomas

 

War and Peace  (1966)        June 25

OnWiOZAjxlU7pHnN9Z7Yb9NJVfYhLX_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

  • New 2K digital restoration, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interviews with cinematographer Anatoly Petritsky and filmmaker Fedor Bondarchuk, son of Sergei Bondarchuk
  • Two 1966 documentaries about the making of the film
  • Television program from 1967 profiling actor Ludmila Savelyeva, and featuring Sergei Bondarchuk
  • New program with historian Denise J. Youngblood (Bondarchuk’s “War and Peace”: Literary Classic to Soviet Cinematic Epic) detailing the cultural and historical contexts for the film
  • Janus rerelease trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Ella Taylor

 

Plus, a Blu-ray upgrade for:

 

A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman        June 4

4hx4crqXk77qBf3SJxMwbw6Mz2sDUg_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

  • On the DVD: High-definition digital transfers of all three films
  • On the Blu-ray: New 2K digital restorations of all three films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
  • Introductions to the films by director Ingmar Bergman, recorded in 2003 (Blu-ray only)
  • Observations on each film by film scholar Peter Cowie, recorded in 2003
  • Ingmar Bergman Makes a Movie, a five-part documentary by Vilgot Sjöman made for Swedish television during the production of Winter Light
  • Interview from 2012 with actor Harriet Andersson (Blu-ray only)
  • Audio interview from 1962 with actor Gunnar Björnstrand (Blu-ray only)
  • Illustrated audio interview with cinematographer Sven Nykvist, recorded in 1981 (Blu-ray only)
  • Poster gallery
  • Original U.S. theatrical trailers
  • Alternate English-dubbed soundtracks
  • On the DVD: Essays by film scholars Peter Matthews, Peter Cowie, and Leo Braudy, plus a statement from director Vilgot Sjöman
  • On the Blu-ray: An essay by film scholar Catherine Wheatley and an excerpt from Bergman’s 1987 autobiography, The Magic Lantern
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

July Criterion Titles Announced

 

Europa, Europa  (1990)        July 9

op5e76062WLo9yZJeiOlU7gNFEjL5m_small.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

  • New 2K digital restoration, supervised by director Agnieszka Holland, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 2008 featuring Holland
  • New interviews with Holland and actor Marco Hofschneider
  • New video essay by film scholar Annette Insdorf
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Amy Taubin

 

The Baker's Wife  (1938)        July 16

dm0IkYZsXXqgFyLW4WLEmrePDHITZS_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

  • New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Selected-scene audio commentary featuring Marcel Pagnol scholar Brett Bowles
  • Introduction by Pagnol from 1967
  • Excerpt from a 1966 interview with Pagnol for the French television series Cinéastes de notre temps
  • Short French news program from 1967 revisiting the village of Le Castellet, where the film was shot
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar Ginette Vincendeau

 

Klute  (1971)        July 16

gV7HvfrGzCSC4UYAY74gsbMhNsJWCd_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

  • New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by camera operator Michael Chapman, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation between actors Jane Fonda and Illeana Douglas
  • New documentary about Klute and director Alan J. Pakula by filmmaker Matthew Miele, featuring scholars, filmmakers, and Pakula’s family and friends
  • The Look of “Klute,” a new interview with writer Amy Fine Collins
  • Archival interviews with Pakula and Fonda
  • “Klute” in New York, a short documentary made during the shooting of the film
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Mark Harris and excerpts from a 1972 interview with Pakula

 

1984  (1984)        July 23

CXpDhvKSDCZ6WKDYLkJuD0cqRLVaNU_small.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

  • New 4K digital restoration, supervised by cinematographer Roger Deakins, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interviews with director Michael Radford and cinematographer Roger Deakins
  • New interview with David Ryan, author of George Orwell on Screen
  • Behind-the-scenes footage
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by writer and performer A. L. Kennedy

 

Plus Blu-ray upgrades for:

 

The BRD Trilogy        July 9

V5oY4ZalkXBF5sf9sEHmGPVjlZjmps_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

  • New 4K digital restorations of The Marriage of Maria Braun and Lola, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
  • High-definition digital restoration of Veronika Voss, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
  • Audio commentaries from 2003 featuring filmmaker Wim Wenders and cinematographer Michael Ballhaus (The Marriage of Maria Braun), film critic and author Tony Rayns (Veronika Voss), and film scholar Christian Braad Thomsen (Lola)
  • Interviews with actors Hanna Schygulla, Rosel Zech, and Barbara Sukowa
  • Interviews with cinematographer Xaver Schwarzenberger, screenwriter Peter Märthesheimer, and film scholar Eric Rentschler
  • Life Stories: A Conversation with R. W. Fassbinder, an interview filmed for German television in 1978
  • I Don’t Just Want You to Love Me, a feature-length 1992 documentary on director Rainer Werner Fassbinder’s life and career
  • Dance with Death, a program from 2000 about Ufa studios star Sybille Schmitz, Fassbinder’s inspiration for the character Veronika Voss
  • Conversation between author and curator Laurence Kardish and film editor Juliane Lorenz
  • Trailers
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic Kent Jones and production histories by author Michael Töteberg (Rainer Werner Fassbinder)

 

Do the Right Thing  (1989)        July 23

c2bhsytxhguD846PNcIr9m5mvMwcdi_small.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

  • New 4K digital restoration, approved by cinematographer Ernest Dickerson, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 1995 featuring director Spike Lee, Dickerson, production designer Wynn Thomas, and actor Joie Lee
  • Introductions by Lee
  • Making “Do the Right Thing,” a documentary from 1988 by St. Clair Bourne
  • New interviews with costume designer Ruth E. Carter, camera assistant Darnell Martin, New York City Council Member Robert Cornegy Jr., and writer Nelson George
  • Interview with editor Barry Alexander Brown from 2000
  • Programs from 2000 and 2009 featuring Lee and members of the cast and crew
  • Music video for Public Enemy’s “Fight the Power,” directed by Lee, with remarks from rapper Chuck D
  • Behind-the-scenes footage
  • Cannes Film Festival press conference from 1989
  • Deleted and extended scenes
  • Original storyboards, trailer, and TV spots
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Vinson Cunningham, and (on the Blu-ray) extensive excerpts from the journal Lee kept during the preparation for and production of the film
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

No Cluny Brown yet (though I assume it will be out before the end of the year), but its nice to see a nice release for that sterling 1971 thriller Klute.

I'll probably get the Do the Right Thing release. I have the bare-bones Universal Blu-ray that I got in a bargain bin a few years back. I may get Klute during one of the Criterion sales. I have the DVD of that one. I'd like to see the BRD Trilogy, but not enough to buy it sight unseen.

I'm hoping there will be a Criterion release of David Lynch's The Elephant Man, as it's available to stream on The Criterion Channel, and they've released a few of Lynch's films in the past. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...

August Criterion Titles Announced

 

The Inland Sea  (1991)        August 13

Fzk4b3bXEz4LMyrsRLpOXYYi8xiGxG_small.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

  • New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by cinematographer Hiro Narita, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with director Lucille Carra
  • New conversation between filmmaker Paul Schrader and cultural critic Ian Buruma on author Donald Richie
  • Interview with Richie from 1991
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by scholar Arturo Silva

 

The Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice   (1952)        August 27

rMmBdDHsGDObJ7X9qwkYVDYLSMgVeA_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

  • New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • What Did the Lady Forget?, a 1937 feature by director Yasujiro Ozu
  • New interview with film scholar David Bordwell
  • Ozu & Noda: Tateshina Diaries, a new documentary by Daniel Raim on Ozu’s relationship with longtime screenwriter Kogo Noda
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by scholar Junji Yoshida

 

The Koker Trilogy  (1987, 1992, 1994)        August 27

JMtLRgnQ6H5yUAY7mCZnC5JurQBNdL_small.jpg

Where Is the Friend's House? (1987)

And Life Goes On (1992)

Through the Olive Trees (1994)

SPECIAL FEATURES

  • New 2K digital restorations of all three films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
  • New audio commentary on And Life Goes On featuring Mehrnaz Saeed-Vafa and Jonathan Rosenbaum, coauthors of Abbas Kiarostami
  • Abbas Kiarostami: Truths and Dreams, a 1994 documentary
  • New interview with Abbas Kiarostami’s son Ahmad Kiarostami
  • New conversation between Iranian-film scholar Jamsheed Akrami and film critic Godfrey Cheshire
  • Conversation from 2015 between Kiarostami and film-festival programmer Peter Scarlet
  • New English subtitle translations
  • More!

PLUS: An essay by critic Godfrey Cheshire

 

Plus Blu-ray upgrades for:

 

An Angel at My Table  (1990)        August 6

4kQ3PHhymsEpnTpTNBvZV8NdK2i3C7_small.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

  • New high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Stuart Dryburgh and approved by director Jane Campion with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary featuring Campion, Dryburgh, and actor Kerry Fox
  • Short documentary from 2002 about the making of the film
  • Six deleted scenes
  • Audio interview with author Janet Frame from 1983
  • Trailer
  • Stills gallery
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic Amy Taubin and excerpts from Frame’s autobiography, on which Campion based her film

 

Magnificent Obsession  (1954)        August 20

5Pvpc7nsRpgo8lu3IQVlAeheME1g9w_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

  • High-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 2008 featuring film scholar Thomas Doherty
  • Magnificent Obsession, John M. Stahl’s 1935 adaptation of the same novel, newly restored
  • From UFA to Hollywood: Douglas Sirk Remembers (1991), a documentary by German filmmaker Eckhart Schmidt
  • Interviews from 2008 with filmmakers Allison Anders and Kathryn Bigelow, in which they pay tribute to Sirk
  • Theatrical trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are several upcoming Blu-ray releases that are not Criterion, although many were released on DVD by them and have gone out of print. Here are some of the titles that may be of interest.

They Might Be Giants (1971)  -  June 11

81FSF07jTJL._AC_UL436_.jpg

The Brink's Job (1978)  -  June 18

81FxffflAxL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Mississippi Burning (1988)  -  June 18

71eGrF2h8zL._AC_UL436_.jpg

The Silent Partner (1978)  -  June 18

81E4Xapkg3L._AC_UL436_.jpg

Midnight Lace (1960)  -  June 25

81obaQiRgUL._AC_UL436_.jpg

The Wild Heart/Gone to Earth (1950)  -  June 25

81Wo2FzZgXL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Bob le Flambeur (1956)  -  July 2

81aiWXHhwUL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Le Doulos (1962)  -  July 2

81MhL4zL6WL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Le Professional (1981)  -  July 2

81Srzz6rK0L._AC_UL436_.jpg

Leon Morin, Priest (1961)  -  July 2

81x83TQkVRL._AC_UL436_.jpg

The Outsider (1983)  -  July 2

812SZnlxFqL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Alphaville (1965)  -  July 9

81+JzrPfRjL._AC_UL436_.jpg

The Annihilators (1985)  -  July 9

81pbT5BYc3L._AC_UL436_.jpg

The Champagne Murders (1967)  -  July 9

81ok5dyXqGL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Dead of Night (1945)  -  July 9

91evWf3-mpL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Peter Pan (1924)  -  July 9

81oiHa63TeL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Thunder Bay (1953)  -  July 9

814+8xQ8DtL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Hold Back the Dawn (1941)  -  July 16

91DmFk+2R1L._AC_UL436_.jpg

Jefferson in Paris (1995)  -  July 16

714Vl4bic4L._AC_UL436_.jpg

Death Takes a Holiday (1934)  -  July 23

81-S0vtk23L._AC_UL436_.jpg

Easy Living (1937)  -  July 23

81C-LTja-XL._AC_UL436_.jpg

The Milky Way (1969)  -  July 23

71Qkmf5i9zL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Sweet Charity (1969)  -  July 23

81UetiO7V-L._AC_UL436_.jpg

The Ugly American  (1963)  -  August 13

91nUEDsaJoL._AC_UL436_.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Mothra (1961)      July 9

91ecUuzJx2L._SX342_.jpg

 

A Foreign Affair  (1948)      August 6

81NiP5qMjOL._SX342_.jpg

 

Fragment of an Empire  (1929)      August 6

91GMeuZua4L._SX342_.jpg

 

The Front Page  (1974)      August 6

81gu6HY4B0L._SX342_.jpg

 

Blackmail  (1929)    August 13

812ufd9yafL._SX342_.jpg

 

L'Argent  (1928)      August 13

91Tpau3GhyL._SX342_.jpg

 

Murder!  (1930)        August 13

81kcSfNa17L._SX342_.jpg

 

Port of Shadows  (1938)      August 13

81FCdLI0oxL._SX342_.jpg

 

Razzia sur la chnouf  (1955)      August 13

8102BHTU3eL._SX342_.jpg

 

Touchez pas au grisbi  (1954)      August 13

81RZHs9wVBL._SX342_.jpg

 

Billy the Kid vs. Dracula  (1966)      August 20

81fKWY-paAL._SX342_.jpg

 

Dinosaurus!  (1960)      August 20

81xurhy9pOL._SX342_.jpg

 

4D Man  (1959)      August 20

81aucsPQKFL._SX342_.jpg

 

Day of the Outlaw  (1959)      August 27

711kZucW7AL._SX342_.jpg

 

Flesh Gordon  (1974)      August 27

91x1yJA3q8L._SX342_.jpg

 

Man Without a Star  (1955)        August 27

81S9rl5+IZL._SX342_.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Criterion sale goes on next month as usual, these are the films I'm looking for:
 

A Face in the Crowd. I love this movie.

Swing Time. My favorite of the Astaire/Rogers musicals.

Blithe Spirit (Though I think it's out of print).  I was considering picking up the David Lean directs Noel Coward collection, which would allow me to obtain Blithe Spirit.  I already own Brief Encounter.

The Princess Bride

Magnificent Obsession

The Asphalt Jungle

The Blob

Here Comes Mr. Jordan

My Man Godfrey

Night Train to Munich

 

I don't know if I'll get all of those, but those are what I have my eye on right now. There are some other titles I'm also considering, but I haven't decided yet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

September Criterion Titles Announced

 

The Cloud-Capped Star  (1960)        September 10

M7b316Dur9REofyRicy2Yd2DkDyNVT_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

  • New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation between filmmakers Saeed Akhtar Mirza and Kumar Shahani
  • Stills gallery of Ghatak family photographs curated by writer and photographer Nabarupa Bhattacharjee
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar Ira Bhaskar

 

Cluny Brown  (1946)      September 17

2NL4TMdMmWQnZUUjLK3Db1qD0YUBMI_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

  • New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation between film critics Molly Haskell and Farran Smith Nehme on unconventional female characters in Ernst Lubitsch’s films
  • New video essay by film scholar Kristin Thompson
  • The Lubitsch Touch, an interview with film scholar Bernard Eisenschitz from 2004
  • Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of the film from 1947, featuring Olivia de Havilland and Charles Boyer
  • PLUS: An essay by novelist and essayist Siri Hustvedt

 

Polyester  (1981)        September 17

D3OtX39pUdpNPulANEYss4AVI6uzHm_small.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

  • New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by director John Waters, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary featuring Waters from the 1993 Criterion laserdisc release of the film
  • New conversation between Waters and critic Michael Musto
  • New program featuring interviews with Waters collaborators Tab Hunter, Dennis Dermody, Pat Moran, Vincent Peranio, Mink Stole, Mary Garlington, and Greer Yeaton
  • Interviews from 1993 with cast and crew members Waters, Divine, Moran, Peranio, Edith Massey, and Van Smith, featuring footage from the making of the film
  • Archival interviews
  • Deleted scenes and alternate takes
  • Trailer
  • Scratch-and-sniff Odorama™ card
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar Elena Gorfinkel

 

The Circus  (1928)        September 24

mb6Gef7oSB6XGh8TMxthVmUFHIWMtb_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

  • New 4K digital restoration of Charlie Chaplin’s 1969 rerelease version of the film, featuring an original score by Chaplin, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New audio commentary featuring Charlie Chaplin biographer Jeffrey Vance
  • Interview with Chaplin from 1969
  • New interview with Chaplin’s son Eugene Chaplin
  • In the Service of the Story, a new program on the film’s visual effects and production design by effects specialist Craig Barron
  • Chaplin Today: “The Circus,” a 2003 documentary on the film, featuring filmmaker Emir Kusturica
  • Excerpted audio interview with Chaplin musical associate Eric James
  • Unused café sequence with new score by composer Timothy Brock, and related outtakes with audio commentary by Chaplin historian Dan Kamin
  • Newly discovered outtakes featuring the Tramp and the bareback rider
  • Original recording of the film’s opening song, “Swing, Little Girl,” by Ken Barrie
  • Footage of the 1928 Hollywood premiere
  • Rerelease trailers
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Pamela Hutchinson

 

Local Hero  (1983)        September 24

tG4CJ9c3PbmNziiX4KClVc9Pj6MsDU_small.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

  • New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation between Forsyth and film critic David Cairns
  • Shooting from the Heart, a 1985 documentary about the work of cinematographer Chris Menges
  • Episode of The South Bank Show from 1983 about the production of the film
  • The Making of “Local Hero,” a documentary made during the film’s production, featuring interviews with actors Burt Lancaster and Peter Riegert
  • I Thought Maybe I’d Get to Meet Alan Whicker, a 1983 interview with Forsyth on his early career in documentaries, his first narrative features, and the success of Local Hero
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar Jonny Murray

 

Plus a Blu-ray upgrade for:

 

Fists in the Pocket  (1965)        September 3

PymjxeCwfP0nJhs7WwxgV1JCMwnyGd_small.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

  • On the DVD: Restored high-definition digital transfer
  • On the Blu-ray: New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Marco Bellocchio, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
  • Interviews from 2005 with Bellocchio, actors Lou Castel and Paola Pitagora, editor Silvano Agosti, critic Tullio Kezich, and filmmaker Bernardo Bertolucci
  • New interview with scholar Stefano Albertini (Blu-ray only)
  • Trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic Deborah Young and (with the DVD) an interview with Bellocchio
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

September Criterion Titles Announced

 

The Cloud-Capped Star  (1960)        September 10

M7b316Dur9REofyRicy2Yd2DkDyNVT_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

  • New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation between filmmakers Saeed Akhtar Mirza and Kumar Shahani
  • Stills gallery of Ghatak family photographs curated by writer and photographer Nabarupa Bhattacharjee
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar Ira Bhaskar

 

Cluny Brown  (1946)      September 17

2NL4TMdMmWQnZUUjLK3Db1qD0YUBMI_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

  • New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation between film critics Molly Haskell and Farran Smith Nehme on unconventional female characters in Ernst Lubitsch’s films
  • New video essay by film scholar Kristin Thompson
  • The Lubitsch Touch, an interview with film scholar Bernard Eisenschitz from 2004
  • Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of the film from 1947, featuring Olivia de Havilland and Charles Boyer
  • PLUS: An essay by novelist and essayist Siri Hustvedt

 

Polyester  (1981)        September 17

D3OtX39pUdpNPulANEYss4AVI6uzHm_small.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

  • New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by director John Waters, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary featuring Waters from the 1993 Criterion laserdisc release of the film
  • New conversation between Waters and critic Michael Musto
  • New program featuring interviews with Waters collaborators Tab Hunter, Dennis Dermody, Pat Moran, Vincent Peranio, Mink Stole, Mary Garlington, and Greer Yeaton
  • Interviews from 1993 with cast and crew members Waters, Divine, Moran, Peranio, Edith Massey, and Van Smith, featuring footage from the making of the film
  • Archival interviews
  • Deleted scenes and alternate takes
  • Trailer
  • Scratch-and-sniff Odorama™ card
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar Elena Gorfinkel

 

The Circus  (1928)        September 24

mb6Gef7oSB6XGh8TMxthVmUFHIWMtb_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

  • New 4K digital restoration of Charlie Chaplin’s 1969 rerelease version of the film, featuring an original score by Chaplin, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New audio commentary featuring Charlie Chaplin biographer Jeffrey Vance
  • Interview with Chaplin from 1969
  • New interview with Chaplin’s son Eugene Chaplin
  • In the Service of the Story, a new program on the film’s visual effects and production design by effects specialist Craig Barron
  • Chaplin Today: “The Circus,” a 2003 documentary on the film, featuring filmmaker Emir Kusturica
  • Excerpted audio interview with Chaplin musical associate Eric James
  • Unused café sequence with new score by composer Timothy Brock, and related outtakes with audio commentary by Chaplin historian Dan Kamin
  • Newly discovered outtakes featuring the Tramp and the bareback rider
  • Original recording of the film’s opening song, “Swing, Little Girl,” by Ken Barrie
  • Footage of the 1928 Hollywood premiere
  • Rerelease trailers
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Pamela Hutchinson

 

Local Hero  (1983)        September 24

tG4CJ9c3PbmNziiX4KClVc9Pj6MsDU_small.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

  • New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New conversation between Forsyth and film critic David Cairns
  • Shooting from the Heart, a 1985 documentary about the work of cinematographer Chris Menges
  • Episode of The South Bank Show from 1983 about the production of the film
  • The Making of “Local Hero,” a documentary made during the film’s production, featuring interviews with actors Burt Lancaster and Peter Riegert
  • I Thought Maybe I’d Get to Meet Alan Whicker, a 1983 interview with Forsyth on his early career in documentaries, his first narrative features, and the success of Local Hero
  • PLUS: An essay by film scholar Jonny Murray

 

Plus a Blu-ray upgrade for:

 

Fists in the Pocket  (1965)        September 3

PymjxeCwfP0nJhs7WwxgV1JCMwnyGd_small.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

  • On the DVD: Restored high-definition digital transfer
  • On the Blu-ray: New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Marco Bellocchio, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
  • Interviews from 2005 with Bellocchio, actors Lou Castel and Paola Pitagora, editor Silvano Agosti, critic Tullio Kezich, and filmmaker Bernardo Bertolucci
  • New interview with scholar Stefano Albertini (Blu-ray only)
  • Trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic Deborah Young and (with the DVD) an interview with Bellocchio

Oh joy, Local Hero, Cluny Brown, and The Circus in the same month? HEAVEN!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CinemaInternational said:

Oh joy, Local Hero, Cluny Brown, and The Circus in the same month? HEAVEN!

One of the few release slates where I've seen all the movies. That Cluny Brown cover art is terrible. I'll definitely be getting the Polyester Blu-ray. I may end up getting The Circus eventually, as I have the other Chaplin releases.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cluny Brown cover art isn't the best, but I'm super excited about it.  It comes out Sept 17.  I'll be in Portland during that time for a concert, I can pop over to Barnes and Noble while I'm in the area!! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

I think I'd like the Cluny Brown artwork more if it were either more cartoon-like or an actual photo of Jennifer Jones.

I'm kinda iffy on that artwork for The Circus, too. But Local Hero's looks nice, and Polyester's is classic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm kinda iffy on that artwork for The Circus, too. But Local Hero's looks nice, and Polyester's is classic.

Too much red and yellow for The Circus.  I love Polyester's cover. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I read a rumor that the Barnes and Noble Criterion sale starts on June 30.

I heard that it might be two days earlier, on the 28th. We'll see. There will also be another sale in November. Cluny should be on the half off sale by then. I'm thinking merry Christmas to me!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...