• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

July Criterion Titles Announced

The War of the Worlds  (1953)       July 7

oGVWh8sN851321NuP26d8kLdoYVtBQ_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, created by sound designer Ben Burtt and presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 2005 featuring filmmaker Joe Dante, film historian Bob Burns, and author Bill Warren
  • Movie Archaeologists, a new program on the visual and sound effects in the film featuring Burtt and film historian Craig Barron
  • From the Archive, a new program about the film’s restoration featuring Barron, Burtt, and Paramount Pictures archivist Andrea Kalas
  • Audio interview with producer George Pal from 1970
  • The Sky Is Falling, a 2005 documentary about the making of the film
  • The Mercury Theatre on the Air radio adaptation of The War of the Worlds from 1938, directed and narrated by Orson Welles
  • Radio program from 1940 featuring a discussion between Welles and H. G. Wells, author of the 1897 novel The War of the Worlds
  • Trailer
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic J. Hoberman

Marriage Story   (2019)         July 21

avYymycfbN3moGK5O5MLtGCZpcT5Tr_small.jpg

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New 4K digital transfer, supervised by director Noah Baumbach, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interview with Baumbach
  • The Players, a new program featuring interviews with actors Scarlett Johansson, Adam Driver, Laura Dern, Alan Alda, Julie Hagerty, and Ray Liotta
  • The Filmmakers, a new program about the production of the film, featuring interviews with Baumbach, editor Jennifer Lame, production designer Jade Healy, costume designer Mark Bridges, and producer David Heyman
  • The Making of “Marriage Story,” a new program featuring behind-the-scenes footage
  • New interviews with composer Randy Newman and Baumbach about the film’s score
  • New program featuring Baumbach walking the viewer through a key location from the film
  • Trailers
  • PLUS: Notes on the film by novelist Linn Ullmann

Plus Blu-ray upgrades for :

The Lady Eve  (1941)      July 14

AHoTWP6XqNreD4aGRUKfGB3ASi3IVz_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 2001 featuring film professor Marian Keane
  • Introduction from 2001 by filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich
  • Interview from 2020 with writer-director Preston Sturges’s biographer and son Tom Sturges and friends
  • New video essay by film critic David Cairns
  • Costume designs by Edith Head
  • Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of the film from 1942 featuring Barbara Stanwyck and Ray Milland
  • Audio recording of “Up the Amazon,” a song from an unproduced stage musical based on the film
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and a 1946 profile of Preston Sturges from LIFE magazine

Taste of Cherry  (1997)      July 21

0IZ7RI0ApmwUqfotR9mOZmFlhsHjvo_small.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
  • Project, Abbas Kiarostami’s 39-minute 1997 sketch film for Taste of Cherry, made with the director’s son Bahman Kiarostami
  • New interview with Iranian film scholar Hamid Naficy
  • Rare 1997 interview with Abbas Kiarostami, conducted by Iranian film scholar Jamsheed Akrami
  • Trailer
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by critic A. S. Hamrah

War of the Worlds holds up very well; the funny thing about Marriage Story is that Criterion announced that they would be handling it later in the year only a day or two after I signed up for Netflix for a month so I could see it! (little frustration there) it was a good film, even if I do think  the early parts were better than the later ones. Scarlett Johansson and Laura Dern were wonderful in their big scenes, and it was nice to see good supporting parts for Alan Alda and Julie Hagerty.

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

War of the Worlds holds up very well; the funny thing about Marriage Story is that Criterion announced that they would be handling it later in the year only a day or two after I signed up for Netflix for a month so I could see it! (little frustration there) it was a good film, even if I do think  the early parts were better than the later ones. Scarlett Johansson and Laura Dern were wonderful in their big scenes, and it was nice to see good supporting parts for Alan Alda and Julie Hagerty.

I'm not buying movies as much these days, but I still hope to get War of the Worlds when it comes out (or when there's a good sale).

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

You mean you don't already have a copy of WAR OF THE WORLDS, LawrenceA?! 

Great gobs of naval gravy!  I thought you'd have one already!  :D

Oh, I do. I have the Paramount DVD, but the picture is relatively poor quality, and I tend to enjoy the bonus features on the Criterion discs, too.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Ever seen a FOTOMAT 'DRIVE THRU MOVIES' VHS of "War of the Worlds"?  (Has the Fotomat kiosk logo on the box and tape).   

I don't think so. I had a VHS of War of the Worlds at one time, but I don't recall which one. I know it wasn't that one, though. I lost, through various means, the vast majority of my old VHS collection many years ago, but I still have a few dozen that I haven't replaced with discs. At the moment I can see my VHS copies of The Amazing Colossal Man, Roman Polanski's Pirates, and The Crimson Ghost sitting on a nearby shelf.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Coming in August...

Jean Renoir's Toni 

yV3pen379RJU2H3mgtDNlZBAh7RKD9_small.jpg

Paul Schraeder's The Comfort of Strangers (1990) starring Christopher Walken, Helen Mirren, Natasha Richardson, and Rupert Everett.

1jmrBCsLtRVbaKdHbTAgrmOsVAxNlw_small.jpg

The documentary Town Bloody Hall

zXxL5nVVxs6mFjV7YGhNhNqiQh2oP0_small.jpg

The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum

da8xTBLVhcfx0KQXSyOOMImKRe6s2r_small.jpg

And a complete Blu-Ray boxed set of the films of Agnes Varda

zQHE891LazZ0Sw7jE3PnOSXsdP3yew_small.jpg

• 3 months later...

I know it has a less than stellar reputation, but it is the only James Cagney film never on DVD or Blu with the exception of some of his films from the 1930s over at Warner Brothers. Released on September 22 by Kino. I've never seen it. 

738329250195.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Rita Hayworth - Ultimate Collection

Due in November from Mill Creek, which does not have a stellar reputation for quality.  It is a six disc set.
The DVD set has 16 titles:

1. Girls Can Play
2. Special Inspector
3. Music in My Heart
4. The Lady in Question
5. Angels Over Broadway
6. You'll Never Get Rich *
7. Tonight and Every Night
8. Down To Earth *
9. The Lady from Shanghai *
10. The Loves of Carmen *
11. Affair in Trinidad *
12. Salome
13. Miss Sadie Thompson *
14. Fire Down Below
15. Pal Joey *
16. They Came to Cordura

The Blu-ray set, oddly, is marketed with twelve (12) "legendary performances" - and does NOT include the four (4) lesser-known titles below:

Girls Can Play
Special Inspector
The Lady in Question
Angels Over Broadway

This is one time I might buy the DVD set just to have a pressed copy of "Girls Can Play" which is an oddity from the 1930s.  It is rather like "League of their Own" meets film noir. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...