Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JackBurley

Upcoming Releases

Warner Bros will be releasing That's Entertainment: The Complete Collection on November 13th in Blu-ray and HD-DVD, with all three TE films in 1080p. Price is expected to be $79.98 as a 3-disc set on 11/13 (SRP $79.98 each). There will also be 5 hours worth of bonus material, including 3 documentaries, premiere night coverage, salutes to the behind-the-camera talents, TV specials, making-of featurettes, an extensive video jukebox of rare musical outtakes from classic films and more. These should look quite amazing in hi-def.

Thank you very much for that info, Edgecliff---I don't have any of them and have never even seen the British titles.

MissGoddess, I have only seen two of these films: SCARLET STREET (a classic) and THE HITCHHIKER (another minor classic), but I heard all of the British films in the set are excellent.

FilmLover, the THAT"S ENTERTAINMENT set is the same that was previously released in the standard format. I already have this set and don't own a HD DVD nor a BlueRay. I won't purchase any DVD's nor the machines in these formats until I know which one will be around for a while. Since I own a high definition TV set, I am hoping this film will turn up on HDNET, one of the high definitions stations that is offered by DirecTV.

Edgecliff, I knew it was the same set as the standard DVD but since it is now in HD and people are starting to get into HD, I would post it. I realize you won't be interested until the format war is settled but others might who are getting/or have gotten Blu-ray or HD-DVD players. With over a million Blu-ray disc sales by April of 2007, plus about 100,000 people with HD-DVD players, somebody out there in TCM land just might be interested. Standard DVDs are still 99.99% of my collection, but once you have experienced one of the Hi-Def formats on films like The Searchers, you may find it hard going back to regular DVD.

I will posting other Hi-Def items when it is classic related. I think we can broaden this thread's scope (and this forum) a bit without hurting it.

I'm all for sharing more info on HD releases (be it BR or HD-DVD) of classic films.

I don't doubt that once you've seen 'em in HD, you won't want to go back, which for me makes it all the more important to wait until there are more titles available in HD.

I am terribly disappointed that the dvd of "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" has no extras. They couldn't get Alan Arkin or Sondra Locke for a commentary or even some kind of featurette? I am glad that it's going to be finally available on dvd though--it's really a beautiful movie.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but what is the difference between Blu-Ray and Hi-Def? I'm not planning to get either one in the future (I still have a standard television set!), but it seems like good information to know.

Hi, sugarpuss. Actually, Blu-ray is Hi-Def. I think your mixup is the names of each system. One is called "Blu-ray." The other is called "HD-DVD." Blu-ray uses a blue ray laser to read the disc, HD-DVD uses a red one.

Both formats are Hi-Def, but have different technology. And you can only play HD-DVDs on HD-DVD systems, and Blu-rays only on Blu-ray systems. I should properly say "High Definition," not Hi-Def, so there is no confusion. I don't blame you for being confused by the names.

Just as VHS and Beta fought a war for reign of the market, so too they two systems are fighting, with very faithful followers, some almost obsessed, in each camp.

Both pictures are believed to be the same quality, but generally Blu-ray seems to be winning the battle thus far by selling more than HD-DVD. (It's my choice.) It will likely be the victor, and deservedly so.

The trouble is that while some studios are doing discs in both formats, there have been some that are exclusive to one format. For example, Disney only backs Blu-ray, Paramount only backs HD-DVD. So, at this time, you have to forego some titles if you support only one system.

The trouble is that while some studios are doing discs in both formats, there have been some that are exclusive to one format. For example, Disney only backs Blu-ray, Paramount only backs HD-DVD. So, at this time, you have to forego some titles if you support only one system.

After Paramount stopped supporting both formats, that left Warner as the only studio still supporting both formats. Paramount & Universal only release movies on HD-DVD and Fox, Columbia, Disney and MGM on Blu-Ray.

From the look of things, one of 3 things might happen:

1. One format wins the "format war", most likely Blu-Ray

2. All studios decide to support both formats (very unlikely)

3. Dual-format high-def DVD players gain popularity, enabling everyone to use the same player to play both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies.

There is a fourth:

4. TotalHD could be adopted. Warner Bros. has put plans on hold at this time, but it would have both HD-DVD and Blu-ray on the same disc:

totalhd.jpg

filmlover, I have seen many Hi Def films on HDNET and the look is incredible. Its so sharp, you can almost see every flaw in the actor's skin. I was even able to see Doris Day's freckles. Films like BELL BOOK AND CANDLE are fantastic looking. Unfortunately, most studios (with rare exceptions) are not interested in releasing older classics like this one in HI DEF. Most classic films that run on HDNET are not available as yet on HI DEF DVD.

BTW, I have no problem with making everyone aware of any new release whether is be standard or HI DEF.

MGM/UA has announced another MOVIE LEGENDS box set for December 4 This one contains 8 Bob Hope films, some of which have been released before and some new to DVD. The films include ALIAS JESSE JAMES, THEY GOT ME COVERED, FACTS OF LIFE, I'LL TAKE SWEDEN, PRINCESS AND THE PIRATE, ROAD TO HONG KONG, THEY GOT ME COVERED and BOY DO I HAVE A WRONG NUMBER. This is a mixed bag, some of these Hope films are pretty awful (BOY DID I GET A WRONG NUMBER) and a few a pretty funny (ALIAS JESSE JAMES, PRINCESS AND THE PIRATE). I believe this one will retail for $39.95.

Also, coming on that is the 30th anniversary edition of NEW YORK, NEW YORK. Extras have not been announced as yet. Although MGM seems to be just repacking prior released DVD's with no extras.

I've got HDNet, too, on DISH. One thing I have found, though, is that the 1080i (or 720p) that HD shows in is not as sharp as 1080p from high-def DVDs (1080p has twice the clarity of 720p). Also, I am seeing a lot of motion blur on TV Channels. By the way, do you get MONSTER? A few days ago, it ran several 60s/70s Hitchcock films in HD, and then this week AMC is running Hitchcock films in very good clarity. I wonder if they are working from the same prints?

Don't have MONSTER. Is this a movie channel? I have DirectTV. I know AMC does not telecast in HI DEF so the print quality could never look the same. Also, who wants to see a film with all those commercials. I am wondering if the motion blur is coming from your sallelite system. I have never had this problem.

MONSTERS HD is a movie channel that advertises itself as "TV's first horror channel uncut in Hi-Definition".

http://www.monstershd.com/

Hmm, looking at their website, I see it says they are only available on Interactive Optimum and DISH Network.

>This one sounds interesting, under the Nov. 20th listing:

>Film Noir:Five Classics From The Stud - Kino .

>I wonder what the five titles are.

Oops - I see the info's been posted already.

Message was edited by: Snarfie

Here you go, Snarf:

Film Noir: Five Classics from the Studio Vaults

From Amazon:

Product Description

SCARLET STREET (1945) - A FILM BY FRITZ LANG - WITH EDWARD G. ROBINSON, JOAN BENNETT & DAN DURYEA - A box-office hit in its day (despite being banned in three states), Scarlet Street is perhaps legendary director Fritz Lang's finest American film. But for decades, Scarlet Street has languished on poor quality VHS tape and in colorized versions. Kino's immaculate new HD transfer, from a 35mm Library of Congress vault negative, restores Lang's extravagantly fatalistic vision to its original B&W glory. When middle-aged milquetoast Chris Cross (Edward G. Robinson) rescues street-walking bad girl Kitty (Joan Bennett) from the rain slicked gutters of an eerily artificial backlot Greenwich Village, he plunges headlong into a whirlpool of lust, larceny and revenge. CONTRABAND (AKA Blackout) (1940) - A FILM BY MICHAEL POWELL - WRITTEN BY EMERIC PRESSBURGER - WITH CONRAD VEIDT & VALERIE HOBSON - Contraband is a comedy thriller in the vein of Hitchcock's The Thirty-Nine Steps and The Lady Vanishes. The film is an early treasure from the writer-director team of Emeric Pressburger and Michael Powell (The Red Shoes), who have been hailed by critics as jewels in the crown of British cinema. Set in England during the early days of WW II, Contraband stars Conrad Veidt and Valerie Hobson as a Danish sea captain and his enigmatic passenger who are kidnapped by a cell of Nazi spies operating from a basement in London's Soho. In evocatively Hitchcockian fashion, the plot progresses as a chase that puts the characters in one peculiar set of surroundings after another. STRANGE IMPERSONATION (1947) - A FILM BY ANTHONY MANN - WITH BRENDA MARSHALL & LYLE TALBOT - Hard-boiled film noir masquerading as a women's melodrama, Strange Impersonation is a twisted tale of jealousy, murder, revenge and facial disfigurement from director Anthony Mann (T-Men, Raw Deal). THEY MADE ME A FUGITIVE (AKA I Became A Criminal) (1947) - A FILM BY CAVALCANTI - STARRING TREVOR HOWARD & SALLY GRAY - Alberto Cavalcanti (Dead of Night), one of the key figures in French and British cinema for several decades, turns his sights on the London underworld in the engrossing Brit Noir gangland drama They Made Me a Fugitive. Set in unsettled postwar England where crime is on the upsurge, Fugitive is a suspenseful genre film which uses the picturesque Soho district as background to brilliant effect. The brooding and atmospheric cinematography of cameraman Otto Heller (Funeral in Berlin) is in the noir visual tradition, while the film's authenticity is due to the director's command of documentary technique. The London pubs, alleys, and back bedrooms turn into the poetry of urban realism. THE HITCH-HIKER (1953) - A FILM BY IDA LUPINO - STARRING EDMOND O BRIEN, FRANK LOVEJOY & WILLIAM TALMAN - The only true film noir ever directed by a woman, this tour-de-force thriller (considered by many, including Lupino herself, to be her best film) is a classic, tension-packed, three-way dance of death about two middle-class American homebodies (Edmond O'Brien and Frank Lovejoy) on vacation in Mexico on a long-awaited fishing trip. Suddenly their car and their very lives are commandeered by psychopathic serial killer Emmett Myers (William Talman). The striking light/dark contrasts, the stunning compositions (such as the two kidnap victims separated by a narrow stream from a gun-cradling madman with a lazy eye) and the spatial integrity of a determining sense of locale (the pitiless topography of a rockbound, horizonless Mexico over which hovers an ever-present doom) all contribute mightily to this fascinating character study.

It's basically another Film Noir bundle from Kino, but it's worth it if you are interested in two of the films. I already own *Scarlet Street* but *Strange Impersonation* is an Anthony Mann film on my wish list. I may consider getting this later on and giving my *Scarlet Street* DVD to my brother. It's selling for $37.49 at Amazon and is going for $36.02 at Deep Discount. *Strange Impersonation* alone goes for $23.28 at Deep Discount.

By the way, I have the first Film Noir bundle from Kino.

I haven't been buying many DVDs lately...

I had a 20% off coupon from Buy.com a couple months ago and picked up:

What I Like About You: The Complete First Season

Tex Avery's Droopy: The Complete Theatrical Collection

No Man of Her Own (1932) Gable & Lombard

F-Troop: The Complete Seasons 1 & 2

DuBarry Was a Lady (1943)

Queen of Outer Space (1958)

Oh yeah, I also bought an AMC cheapo, The Greeks Had a Word for Them (1934).

(Terrible quality).

Still waiting for a sale or better price on:

Hardcastle and McCormack S2

Josephine Baker Collection - Zou Zou/ Princess Tam Tam/ Siren of the Tropics - Kino

(retails for $60)

Wild Wild West S2

It seems I've built up a backlog of titles to purchase now - mostly recent releases:

Threepenny Opera (1931) G.W. Pabst - Criterion

Scarface (1932) - George Raft & Ann Dvorak

"The Sin of Nora Moran" (1933, 64 min.)/"Prison Train" (1938, 63 min.)

I'm buying this one for The Sin of Nora Moran - thanks for the heads up on this title, Mr. Grimes!

Two of the best small independent feature films of the 1930s and both influences on Orson Welles' "Citizen Kane". - Amazon Editorial Review

Shirley Temple - America's Sweetheart Collection, Vol. 5 with it's inclusion of two color titles

(The Little Princess - color/ Stand Up and Cheer - b&w/ The Blue Bird - color)

Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection

Monster Squad (1987)

A Far Off Place (1993) w/ Reese Witherspoon - thanks for the suggestion Theresa!

Betty Hutton Show Vol. 1 (Alpha Video)

Night at the Family Dog (1970)

They Call Me Trinity (1971) - Hens Tooth Video

Trinity Is Still My Name (1971) - Hens Tooth Video

Obsession: Radical Islam's War Against The West

When Comedy Was King (1959)

I'm also looking forward to some upcoming releases:

Jazz Singer - Vitaphone extras include all surviving footage from

the Two Strip Technicolor, Gold Diggers of Broadway (1929) - October 16th!

Treasures from American Film Archives III includes

Cecil B. DeMille's The Godless Girl (1929) - also available October 16th!

Fat Spy (1966) Alpha Video

30 Years Of Fun - Robert Youngson

Cat & Canary (1927) - Kino - TCM just aired this a couple weeks ago so I'll

preview the recording to see if I'm going to buy it.

Love, American Style Season 1, Volume 1!

Lots of great guest stars in this sexual comedy series from the 1970s.

Kill Or Be Killed/ Witch Doctor - several movies go by the title of Kill Or Be Killed

so I'll have to wait and see if it's the one from 1980 (which I've never seen).

I own the follow-up movie, Kill and Kill Again - it's camp classic martial arts.

The verdict's still out for me on Three Stooges Collection - 1934-1936.

Are these sets going to contain the un-cut originals?

What's the deal with On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)?

Are they going to release this one individually or what?

They're already selling a "Complete Collection" combining all four sets.

Expecting the Forbidden Hollywood II box to appear in time for the Christmas season.

Rumoured titles are:

Illicit (1931) - Barbara Stanwyck

Night Nurse (1931) - Barbara Stanwyck

Ladies They Talk About (1933) - Barbara Stanwyck

Female (1933) - Ruth Chatterton

A Free Soul (1931) - Norma Shearer

The Divorcee (1930) - Norma Shearer

I'm hoping the rumoured Stanwyck box set from Sony will include some more of her pre-code titles.

i'm counting on sony doing right by the 3 stooges in their upcoming box set. the second rate stooge dvds now on the market are just horrible.

sony says they will be restored and each short placed in order of release. sounds great, i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Hi, Marcco -- I sure hope you're right. I have many of the Stooges' shorts on VHS but I have never bought a Stooges' DVD because they have been dreadfully packaged. I don't like the "best of" DVDs. I'm a completist. I hope the upcoming release will finally give Stoogephiles what they crave.

The DVDs could turn me into a Stoogeholic.

Did you spike my whiskey, FF? I'm feeling a little Shempish right about now.

I also like the idea of a comprehensive release for the Three Stooges.

This is a re-wording of a post I made here over a year ago

requesting info about the uncensored Three Stooges shorts featured

at theaters' Midnight Shows during the early 1980's wherein

the boys made reference to smoking rope and

Curly was seen smoking a gigantic (hand-rolled cigarette).

It's the only time I've seen those scenes and

don't even know what episodes they were originally from.

Have these scenes been lost?

Why were they available during the 80's?

And now, will they be restored for these DVDs?

Message was edited by: Snarfie