Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JackBurley

Upcoming Releases

Those scenes should probably be included in this first 1934 - 1936 set as certain laws went into effect in 1936 or 1937 that would have made such scenes and dialogue less likely.

Message was edited by: Snarfie

hi frank...fellow stooge-o-phile here!

you know, i hear what snarfie is saying.

all those stooges shorts that played on television over the years ended w/ the columbia lady with her torch, and the 'screen gems' logo, as i remember. that was columbia's television subsidiary, and certainly these prints were edited for television. what is the quality, i wonder, of the films themselves?

the columbia films tcm have been screening lately look to be in pretty good shape; hopefully all those stooges shorts are also.

so the question is will sony be progressive like WBHE and remaster the original theatrical prints or these lower quality--most likely edited-- tv prints?

i think i'll be crossing fingers AND toes on this one.

Message was edited by: marcco44

Message was edited by: marcco44

Hi marcco44,

>that was columbia's television subsidiary,

>and certainly these prints were edited for television.

My guess is they were edited for television in the fifties, right?

>so the question is will sony be progressive like WBHE

>and remaster the original theatrical prints or these

>lower quality--most likely edited-- tv prints?

Good point.

Suffice it to say that I will not be rushing into this purchase and will

be reading lots of reviews before deciding.

I have little faith in a company that abandoned Green Acres on DVD midway through the run!

snarf

I am not sure if you are aware that When Comedy Was King and The Golden Age of Comedy will becoming out together on one disc. The First Kings of Comedy Collection will feature these two movies and it will be released on October 16th.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Kings-Comedy-Collection-Golden/dp/B000UAE7K4/ref=pd_bxgy_d_text_b/105-4487634-2382865?ie=UTF8&qid=1190589782&sr=1-1

I'm really hoping Warner springs some classic dvd news tomorrow. For them to have been so mum over the last month, it must mean that they plan to overload us with tons of classic film announcements.

I hope so, shearerchic, the last month or so has been the longest drought of classic DVD announcements I can remember in a long time! :(

The only thing WBHV has recently announced is a series of 5 DVD's called DIRECTORS SHOWCASE. Each film showcases a first time director. The series includes WHO'S LIFE IS IT ANYWAYS, PRINCE OF THE CITY and 3 other films. This series is due for release in March. Not very exciting to me. I would assume there would be some new release news early next month hopefully not only from WBHV but FOX. The only exciting release for December is the the big box JOHN FORD SET which has not yet posted on Amazon or other sites. I am wondering what kind of discount Amazon will be offering for this set. In addition, the STANLEY KRAMER BOX SET from Sony has been moved up until February 5, 2008.

hi snarfie.......yes, all those early columbia films were released to television thu that "screen gems" susidiary, perhaps in 16mm prints?

i know in the late seventies-early eighties all of rita haywoth's technicolor musicals that played on late night television--my first time ever seeing her films-- were inferior black&white prints from "screen gems", i'd read somewhere color wasn't needed when the majority of televisions were b&w in the fifties.

when i would go to a revival theater to see those films back then, it was a VERY OLD, faded print every time.

then, when video hit big columbia restored these technicolor films and put them on vhs. they did a pretty decent job.

i think columbia-tri star were taking pretty good care of their film library....up until they were taken over by sony.

sony stopped the process cold...... hopefully, they are seeing the light now.

as for 'green acres'.... here in LA there's channel 56, which is showing classic tv shows and calling themselves the 'screen gems network'... didn't think about it before, but it's all sony owned titles as well.

and 'bewitched' & 'i dream of jeanie', which play regularly on that station, our showing up, season by season, on dvd with pretty good image quality.

so i guess there is good reason to hope that sony is finally moving on their classics catalog.... and the chances are good that they'll do well by our stooges.

Hi moviefan2,

Small world!

Yes, I just saw it at Amazon earlier today when I was browsing upcoming releases.

Thanks for the info - I don't know how the two versions compare.

That might be another one to wait for some reviews on.

Thanks! Jeff

Thanks for the reply,

We have Channel 23 in the Chicago area which airs similar old shows -

so between them and TV Land I can still see episodes from the remaining seasons of Green Acres but I'd just as soon not bother and instead have that sharp crisp DVD quality.

>i know in the late seventies-early eighties all of rita haywoth's

>technicolor musicals that played on late night television--

>my first time ever seeing her films-- were inferior black&white prints

>from "screen gems", i'd read somewhere color wasn't needed

>when the majority of televisions were b&w in the fifties.

Then you had visionaries like Walt Disney who spent a lot of extra money to film the Swamp Fox

series with Leslie Nielson in COLOR even though it was being aired in B&W!

Now we can enjoy this great series on home video in color (only with the current pinheads

that run the company they've inexcusably given us only three of the eight episodes)!

According to DAVISDVD, DIRECTOR'S SHOWCASE: TAKE TWO is scheduled for release on March 27. Apparently the release date has been moved up from January.

According to DAVISDVD, DIRECTOR'S SHOWCASE: TAKE TWO is scheduled for release on March 27. Apparently the release date has been moved up from January.

Actually that information comes from a press release issued in Dec. 2006. Take 2 came out last May, and Take 3 is presently scheduled for January, 2008.

TAKE TWO (released May 2007)

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63500

TAKE THREE (scheduled for Jan. 2008)

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65952

Sorry, this made me a bit confused. I did see the January release date, but then later saw DavisDvd posting. In any case, I have no interest in this series at all and it is surprising this is the only announcement WBHV has made so far for upcoming 2008 DVD releases.

There are some interesting comments from Robert Harris from Digital Bits. He talks about restoration and new releases from time to time. I quote from him...

"You can help film restoration; help these releases keep coming; help Warner's classic wonderkind George Feltenstein sleep through the night; and generally make yourself feel better about life."

So all us collectors need to support these wonderful releases from WBHV. I am hoping this is not why there have not been any announcements made for classic DVD's from WBHV for 2008 as yet.

Yeah I read that in his review of the Mickey & Judy set on HTF. I'm assuming that maybe the last sets haven't been selling as expected minus Film Noir 4 and Esther Williams.

We haven't had any announcements in a month and that worries me.

It's hard to believe WBHV would abandon classic releases. What is more likely and unfortunate is that they willl be very selective of what the release in the future. That might mean there would be no Eleanor Powell, Jean Harlow, Jane Powell, etc., forthcoming. Hopefully, I am wrong about this.

I think it's just possible they realize they put out a lot of DVD sets over the summer months, and they may think it's best to give classic movie fans a chance to "catch their breath", so to speak, before releasing more sets.

I think that WB will continue to issue great sets, especially when they have tie-ins to TCM because of the built-in audience for it already.

I also just came across a review from Hi-Def Digest of the newly released Viva Las Vegas hi-def version and it's great to know WB is carrying their mastery of DVD into that field, too:

"...'Viva Las Vegas' yet another catalog master Warner can really be proud of. As far as I'm concerned, the studio is -- title-for-title -- currently at the top of the pack when it comes to cranking out absolutely lovely, and usually stunning vintage re-issues on high-def. Bravo!"

Film Fatale, I think this is wishful thinking. Studios are strictly in the business of making money so its doubtful if they would wait as you say for "collectors to catch their breath before releasing more sets." However, I am hoping that in the coming weeks some more announcements for classic films would be forthcoming.

Well, it's precisely because studios are out to make a profit that it would make sense to spread out releases more evenly, otherwise there is a glut in the marketplace and people won't always buy the sets as soon as they are released. I think that makes it more likely that the sets will sit in stores and won't move until they are heavily discounted.

Just received my copy of this DVD set from Amazon. This is a beautifully put together package. Amazingly it includes a small hardcover book with lots of posters, pictures, text about the four films and a fifth DVD of Garland songs and Rooney in Private Screenings. Also included are 20 B&W photos of Mickey and Judy on the sets of the four films. I would rate this one of the best DVD's of 2007 and well worth the price. Some people have complained about the packaging, but I have no problem with it.

I got mine today, too. I am planning to do a review in the Box Sets thread. Why don't you contribute the same? By the way, did your first DVD in the set, Babes in Arms, have low audio? I had to crank the sound up to 70 (out of 100) in order to get it normal sounding.

filmlover, I have not yet had a chance to watch any of the DVD's in this set as yet, but will let you know when I do if there is a problem with the sound level. That occasionally happens on some DVD's.