Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Re this Hitchcock re-release. It seems very annoying when so many good catalogue items are yet to be released from Paramount and yet they keep re-doing films that have already been released on DVD. I have to disagree about the transfer on the current release of TO CATCH A THIEF. This print looks fine to me and I've watched it on a HDTV. It depends what is new on this so-called special edition before I consider upgrading. Nice cover though!!

The element used for transfer was a few generations down from perfection, so contrast/shadow detail was not what it could have been. In the context of other VistaVision-sourced stuff in the Paramount library, the DVD looked better than "The Court Jester", comparable to "Funny Face", but not as good as "Gunfight at the OK Corral".

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of four titles as Wave 2 of their Universal Cinema Classics line. Due on 22nd May 2007 priced at $14.98 SRP each are: No Man of Her Own, Scarface (1932), So Proudly We Hail and Unconquered.

All titles will be digitally remastered for optimum picture quality and include an exclusive introduction by Turner Classic Movies Host Robert Osborne. The films are presented in 1.33:1 Full Frame with English DD2.0 Mono audio and optional English SDH and French subtitles. Extras include introductions and original trailers, with Scarface (1932) also boasting an alternate ending.

Coming from Universal on 5/8 is a fun package of films: PIRATES OF THE GOLDEN AGE box set. Included are DOUBLE CROSSBONES (finally a Universal film starring Donald O'Connor), AGAINST ALL FLAGS starring Errol Flynn and Maureen O'Hara, BUCANEER'S GIRL, starring Yvonne DeCarlo and YANKEE BUCANEER starring Jeff Chandler.

> It looks like the titles in the James Bond Ultimate

> Editions will now be available individually. Amazon

> is offering Thunderball and Goldfinger as available

> on Feb. 6th. Others will surely follow.

Cool. I was wondering if they were going to do that.

Just the one that I want - it's been on my DVD want list for a while:

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

Thanks for the info!

Snarf

> > It looks like the titles in the James Bond

> Ultimate

> > Editions will now be available individually.

> Amazon

> > is offering Thunderball and Goldfinger as

> available

> > on Feb. 6th. Others will surely follow.

>

> Cool. I was wondering if they were going to do that.

> Just the one that I want - it's been on my DVD want

> list for a while:

>

> On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

>

> Thanks for the info!

>

> Snarf

One of the top Bonds in my book, George Lazenby is very underrated as 007, IMNSHO.

> OHMSS isn't yet listed on Amazon as available by

> itself (except through private sellers breaking up

> the Ultimate box sets).

They'll probably try to sell as many Ultimate sets as possible -- Amazon is having a 50% off sale if you buy all 4.

Sorry to say but I don't think I'll be buying any of the Bond movies in either format, they will be almost certainly be re-released fairly soon on a HD format... In fact I'm sure they were trying to sell as many DVDs in the old format before the eventual announcement of the HD versions, probably later this year or early next year.

I just noted a Circuit City flyer special on the new individual release James Bond Ultimate Editions of Goldfinger, Thunderball, For Your Eyes Only, License to Kill, Spy Who Loved Me, and Goldeneye at $7.99 each when you buy two. Boy, can't beat that price.

This has probably already been announced, but I'll post it here anyway:

Lionsgate Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Alfred Hitchcock (3-Disc Collector?s Edition) for 6th February 2007 priced at $39.98 SRP. This remastered set features five of legendary filmmaker Alfred Hitchcock?s first features including the silent films The Ring and The Maxman, as well as Murder!, The Skin Game and the director?s personal favorite from the UK period, Rich and Strange. The box set also includes the new featurette, ?Pure Cinema: The Birth of the Hitchcock Style? featuring interviews with Peter Bogdanovich and Pat Hitchcock as well as never before seen home movies from Hitchcock?s early days.

The Silent Films (The Ring and The Maxman) feature new Stereo soundtracks, while the other titles are presented in the original Mono with optional Spanish subtitles.

The JULIE CHRISTIE ICON COLLECTION has been announced. The films include: DARLING, FAR FROM THE MADDENING CROWD, BILLY LIAR and THE GO-BETWEEN. The bad news is that this one is available only for those who can play R2 releases. At present only DARLING is available on R1.