Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"A Doll's House"

CaveGirl

The TCM showing last night of Ibsen's revolutionary play was superb.

That slamming of the door at the denouement by Nora, is still earth shattering to the eardrum and the psyche. The roles of Nora, Torvald and the Doctor, by the likes of Clair Bloom, Anthony Hopkins and Ralph Richardson brought the story to life.

Supposedly based on a true incident that Henrik Ibsen was aware of in his own life, the play transcends generations even though he said it was more about an individual's realization of rights, not just women.

Played on the stage first by the monumental Modjeska, and later in the 1900's by stars like Mrs. Fiske, Ruth Gordon and on stage and film by Alla Nazimova the tale resonates eternally.

The film last nite was a classy production, with nuances of character that only one who had played the part on stage, perhaps could accomplish like Clair Bloom. All the supporting parts as played by Denholm Elliot and Anna Massey were also well done.

Anyone else watch and when will TCM be playing another masterpiece by Ibsen, like hopefully "Hedda Gabler"???

• Like 1

It was on too late, but I recorded it. I've never seen this version, I did see the Jane Fonda version on tv years ago. (odd they were produced around the same time, the Bloom version reached theaters first and the Fonda version went direct to tv)......

It was on too late, but I recorded it. I've never seen this version, I did see the Jane Fonda version on tv years ago. (odd they were produced around the same time, the Bloom version reached theaters first and the Fonda version went direct to tv)......

I've seen the Fonda version too, Hibi. For some reason I recall there being some objection to her interpretation of the role in the tv version. Can't remember at all if they presented it completely as it would have been on stage or not.

This version was excellent, but I'd still have killed to see Nazimova in it. Of course that would now make me about at least 117 years old if I even saw it as a teenager, so I may rethink that.

Any show with Ralph Richardson in it, is going to probably be my first choice. Well, that would be unless the same part is being played by John Gielgud, or Maurice Evans which could make it acceptable too.

Please tell us what you think of this version, after you see it.

May be a while before I watch it. Cant really compare the two versions as its been decades since I've seen the Fonda version. Jane was being grey listed during that period, which probably was another factor it wound up on tv, not theaters (especially as the other film got there first).

Hedda (1975) was good, with Glenda Jackson, and Patrick Stewart (with hair).

0h26.JPG

Oh, that's funny! I looked at that really fast and thought it was Sergeant Gerard [sp?] with Barry Morse [?] from "The Fugitive".

I've only seen Stewart with that much hair in Caligula.

Ah, I missed it! I did see a production in Brooklyn last month, adaptation by Thornton Wilder. Very accessible and well done. I really loved the woman (Linda Powell) in the secondary role (Kristine). My friend told me she was Colin Powell's daughter! Great talent and warmth.

http://www.tfana.org/season-2016/dolls-house-father/overview?gclid=CjwKEAjwp-S6BRDj4Z7z2IWUhG8SJAAbqbF34Qsduxu5iJqUS89EAfwdpl4fiO32TFqMnSrqDc6OhxoCYr3w_wcB

I saw Glenda Jackson's Hedda on stage many years ago.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope TCM runs it again. I recorded it, but I only got the first 10 mins! Dunno what happened. TICKED. :(

So you probably only got to the part where Nora was hiding the candy in the piano?

Trust me, it improves after that quite a lot!

I dont know. I saw the 10 min. thing and only ff'ed through it to check to see if I was losing my mind. (I wasnt). Looked like they spent some money on the production. Didnt want to torture myself watching 10 mins of it, so deleted. :( Dunno if the cable went out or what. I'm sure I had enough time.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings