Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I forgot to mention in my review of the GWTW set below that there is another new featurette in the set, "Gone With the Wind: The Legend Lives On." This is a half hour look at the wonderful way that GWTW is loved throughout the world. And I finished rewatching the Scarlett O'Hara War" TV-drama (though it plays things so light, one is tempted to call it a comedy or farce). Definitely light, definitely miscast in several ways, but still very enjoyable for what it is.

• 1 year later...

Hi. It seemed to be a good time to ressurect the individual threads that were set up when I helped get this Forum created. We are getting so many threads being started for so many things that could all be in one place that it makes it hard to find anything.

Keeping within a theme thread makes the Classic Film DVD Reviews Forum a much neater place and better organized.. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

The Four Feathers (1939) remains one of the great classics of British cinema and this Blu-ray Criterion release is a small treasure. An Alexander Korda production (and directed by his brother, Zoltan Korda) that shows what they mean by the expression, "They don't make them like this anymore."

Filmed largely on location in the Sudanese desert where the story took place, the story follows ex-soldier Harry Faversham who seeks to make up for his believed cowardice by rescuing the three men who gave him white feathers of cowardice. John Clements gives a lowkey but powerful performance as Haversham. Other excellent members of the cast are June Deprez (who would next do The Thief of Bagdad), Ralph Richardson, and C. Aubrey Smith.

All of the battle scenes with hundreds of extras are incredible. No computer-generated effects here.

The video is very good, with an occasional line and dropout. The color is rich, though there are occasionally moments that colors outline seems slightly off, looking the way 3D might be if you didn't put on the glasses.

Extras include a video introduction by David Korda, the son of the director. There is also a nice short of the Denham Studios from 1939, in which you can see a few scenes from the movie being filmed. The highlight of the extras is a non-stop, very informative commentary by film historian, Charles Drazin. If only all commentaries were this well-researched. Enclosed in the case is a fold-out essay by film critic Michael Sragow

Highly recommended!

You are so right. I love this film and every time it's on, I try to watch it. The battle scenes are indeed epic. I would love to see the 1929 version with Richard Arlen, Fay Wray and William Powell. Produced by the same team who gave us "King Kong". I can't imagine it surpassing the 1939 version, but still it would be fun to watch. This story has been been filmed seven times in the last 93 years, the latest with Heath Ledger and Kate Hudson. But the 39 version is a masterpiece...