Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

• 6 months later...

THE JAZZ SINGER

I just got the special 3 DVD box set of The Jazz Singer, and it looks to be another great winner from Warners. I haven't played yet, but am going to do so. (I will get back to you on these.)

All in all, another perfect set from WB.

Message was edited by: filmlover

THE JAZZ SINGER

I just finished watching the three DVDs, so here is my review of the set:

Included in the set are terrific reproductions of the film's souvenir program, a Vitaphone program, a JS herald, and a telegram from Al Jolson to Jack Warner, plus 10 behind-the-scenes photocards. One thing that had been previously described as being in the set was reproductions of the lobby cards. This is incorrect, there are no lobby card repros; however, there is a nice reproduction of the poster art on the case that holds the three DVDs. And speaking of the three DVDs, here is what is on them:

DVD 1 - A beautifully restored print of The Jazz Singer, with overture and exit music sections added back on. The commentary by Ron Hutchinson and Vince Giordano is quite informative. Following the film is a short excerpt from something, featuring Jolson perfroming three songs in "A Plantation Act." There are then a few WB shorts in which Jolson makes an appearance. Then the classic cartoon, I Love to SInga. A Lux radio adaptation of "The Jazz Singer" from 1947 follows that. Finally, six trailers for Jolson fils, the most interesting of which is The SInging Kid in which we get to see him to do part of the song, I Love to SInga.

DVD 2 - The new documentary, The Dawn of Sound, is very interesting, with lots of clips, but is occasionally dry. However, it is definitely worth seeing to learn more about the development of sound, including learning that D.W. Griffith made a sound introduction of himself before one of his films, years before the JS. Also of enjoyment on this disc are two recently discovered excerpts from the lost film, Gold DIggers of Broadway, show in what looks to be two-strip Technicolor. Several shorts about sound in films follow that.

DVD 3 - The third disc is devoted entirely to Vitagraph shorts. There is an error in the enclosed contents booklet, which states there are over 4 hours of Vitagraph shorts. It actually is just over 3 1/2 hours. These feature vaudeville acts, and while some are amusing (the one with George Burns and Gracie Allen being the high point), it is obvious from others what really killed vaudeville. (An interesting aside: In the movie commentary, they mention there are about 400-500 shorts existing, but missing their Vitaphone discs. As they ask, if you happen to have any 16-inch Vitaphone discs, contact them.)

Fun things with the The Jazz Singer film: a small part in it is played by Myrna Loy. You can also see William Demarest as a Jolson buddy in the film. Demarest would later appear in The Jolson Story as his friend, so that's a nice "come full-circle" feeling. Oddly enough, neither of the commentors mentions his connection to The Jolson Story.

I think this set should be in everybody's collection. It's a great package of the early days of sound.

• 5 months later...

_The Bob Hope MGM Legends Collection_

This great set has 7 of some of Bob's funniest pictures.

Set includes:

*They Got me Covered* -my favorite in the set! Hilarious. First time on DVD!

*The Princess and the Pirate* --entertaining

*The Road to Hong Kong* - unfortunately this one is the worst of the series. :(

*The Facts of Life* -- Great comedy--loved it!

*Alias Jesse James* ---Also Great but not as great as The Paleface

*I'll Take Sweden* --Bob Hope in the 60's.

*Boy did I get the wrong number!* ---Bob Hope in the 60's.

I also paid 15.99 for this at Costco. It lists for 35 new at amazon and 25 used.

Gotta love this set!

Gotta love Costco for the great DVD deals.

I also bought the single dvd of The Robe.

I highly recommend this set!

_The Clark Gable Cinema Classics Collection_

Wow what a treat! 3 great movies with superior packaging. That is how 20th century fox does their Cinema Classics Collection, which has some of the best packaging around.

This set has:

The epic: *The Call of the Wild*

The Western: *The Tall Men*

and

The adventure/action film: *Soldier of Fortune*

When purchased at Costco you can save a bundle.

Amazon lists it for 35 new, 28 used.

I bought it at Costco for 15.99! Which is less than one of the DVD's in the sets costs individually-if u can find them that way.

Every movie in the set is awesome! The Call of the Wild is my favorite!

Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Charlie Chan vol. 4

The new Charlie Chan set features four films starring Sidney Toler: Charlie Chan in Honolulu, Charlie Chan in Reno, Charlie Chan at Treasure Island, and Charlie Chan in City of Darkness.

While the presence of Warner Oland and Keye Luke are missed from the series, Toler and Sen Yung are enjoyable, enough. The four films have excellent picture quality and sound. Each disc has extras that are tied into the film and all are interesting, except the one on San Francisco's Zodiac Killer only shares a passing name with a mysterious figure in Charlie Chan at Treasure's Island amd doesn't really belong. However, there is an nice short on the World's Fair on Treasure Island with a good amount of actual footage of the Fair that more than makes up for it.

Another recommended set from Fox.

Mr Moto Volume one is straight up great. It also comes with a nice little booklet and some cool extras.

The transfers are pristine.

I love this series.

'Need to get back to Costco to get VOl 2.

God Bless Peter Lorre'

-KPR

> {quote:title=kimpunkrock wrote:}{quote}

> Mr Moto Volume one is straight up great. It also comes with a nice little booklet and some cool extras.

>

> The transfers are pristine.

>

> I love this series.

> 'Need to get back to Costco to get VOl 2.

>

>

> God Bless Peter Lorre'

>

> -KPR

How many movies are in each set?

4 movies in each set--making the Mr. Moto with Pete Lorre set complete.

First set is:

*Think fast Mr. Moto*

*Thank You Mr. Moto*

*Mr. Moto Takes a Chance*

*and Mysterious Mr. Moto.*

Second set has the next 4:

*Mr. Moto's Gamble*

*Mr. Moto's Last warning* (this title is the only one in the Public Domain)

*Mr. Moto in Danger Island*

*and Mr. Moto Takes a Vacation*

Costco has these sets for 15.99 each. Get there and pick these up if u can. You will save almost 20 dollars off of the Amazon price.

Hi, Kim,

There is one other Moto film in vol. 2, which is The Return of Mr.Moto starring Henry Silva as Moto. This was included as an extra bonus (though bonus may not be a good word because it isn't very good). Silva adds commentary to it.

filmlover

The video-quality is "as good as we get" - I believe the DVD producers located the best-possible but that isn't saying much, so my expectations were only hoping for "passable" and I was generally appreciative.

Mostly, this set ranks among those as "More Important Than Good", and while some will appreciate the talking-head bonuses, I am more impressed with Houdini's various stunts and escapes. There are interesting premises to each film, but I'm too critical of the storytelling techniques to give any of these films very high marks.

I'd recommend reviews from Silent Film fans rather than relying on my jaded comments. I just don't have a well-educated background in appreciating silents. The stunts, though, are amazing. No crayons, no CGI. I'm sure the modern so-called stunt-magicians to do more with more modern technology, but Houdini's work here remains remarkable.

Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Vol. 3

I've just finished watching this 9-movie set and I must say it is an excellent set to own.

Hit the Deck - Tony Martin, Vic Damone, Russ Tamblyn woo Ann Miller, Jane Powell, and Debbie Reynolds. Fun film, color, widescreen. Contains "Hallelujah" as a rousing finale.

Deep in My Heart - Biopic with Jose Ferrer as composer Sigmund Romberg. An enjoyable film, if overlong (132 min.), with guest performers Gene Kelly, Jane Powell, Cyd Charisse, Tony Martin, and others doing numbers in "Broadway shows." Look for an uncredited young Russ Tamblyn and Susan Luckey (later as the mayor's daughter in "The Music Man"). Esther Williams can be seen briefly in an outtake in the Special Features section (and predominantly on the Special Features menu).

Kismet - I was very pleased to see this feature included as its score has always been one of my favorites. Howard Keel and Jane Powell star.

Nancy Goes to Rio - _While all the film prints are terrific in this set, Nancy Goes to Rio is astonishing in its clarity and color. I will even go so far as to say it is one the most flawless prints I have ever seen of a classic film, looking like it was shot today._ Jane Powell is lovely, but Ann Sothern is GORGEOUS in full color!

Two Weeks With Love - A good little musical, best remembered for the song "Aba-daba Honeymoon," sung by Debbie Reynolds and Carleton Carpenter.

Broadway Melody of 1936 - Eleanor Powell (in fine dancing form) and Robert Taylor star. Actually, Jack Benny is top-billed as a Broadway reporter, but this isn't the eccentric Jack Benny character that would still come in a few years that we grew to love. His is a dour, one-note performance. Buddy Ebsen is also there, high stepping with his sister, Vilma.

Broadway Melody of 1938 - I enjoyed this BM more than the first because of the presence of Judy Garland (doing her "You Made Me Love You" to pictures of Clark Gable) and Sophie Tucker. Oh, and Eleanor Powell and Robert Taylor are the stars (LOL, almost forgot about them), with a return of Buddy Ebsen.

Born to Dance - Eleanor Powell and James Stewart (who, well, "sings") in this story of a Broadway hopeful and the sailor who loves her. Good fun.

Lady Be Good - Though Eleanor Powell gets top billing here, hers is truly a supporting character in this story of two songwriters, played wonderfully by Robert Young and Ann Sothern. Has early appearances of Red Skelton and Virginia O'Brien, but neither is as good as they would be in later films.

As stated, all films have excellent prints. Each disc comes with extras, and is the MGM equivalent of the Warner Bros.' Night at the Movies (of course, it helps that that WB put out this set). Among extras are shorts, cartoons (several by Tex Avery), deleted or alternate audio outtakes, radio shows, and a Reel Memories/Private Screenings interview with Jane Powell and Robert Osborne (looking very young).

My only complaint, and it is very tiny, is that the shorts and trailers that are in widescreen are not enhanced for widescreen TVs. The films are and it seems odd they didn't just do those, too.

Anyway, this is definitely a set to get.

I was very impressed by the beautiful print of HIT THE DECK. The color was gorgeous. Not one of my favorite or best of the MGM musicals, but fun anyways with many of my favorite MGM stars. Wonder what happened to Kay Armen? Don't think she was that old when this film was made.

• 9 months later...

let's help stimulate the economy by boxing up some previously released titles into themed boxsets:

Sony could release a Humphrey Bogart boxset with the following titles:

Sahara (1943)

Dead Reckoning (1947)

Tokyo Joe (1949)

In A Lonely Place (1950)

Sirroco (1951)

The Harder They Fall (1956)

what about a boxset of Cary Grant from Fox that could include:

Born To Be Bad (1934)

I Was A Male War Bride (1949)

People Will Talk (1951)

Kiss Them For Me (1957)

An Affair To Remember (50th Anniv. Ed.) (1957)

Fox & Henry Fonda:

Jesse James (1939)

The Return of Frank James (1940)

Immortal Sergeant (1943)

The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)

Daisy Kenyon (1947)

A couple of Rita Hayworth Sony sets:

Volume 1:

Music In My Heart (1940)

Angels Over Broadway (1940)

You'll Never Get Rich (1941)

You Were Never Lovelier (1942)

Cover Girl (1944)

Vol 2:

Down To Earth (1947)

Affair In Trinidad (1952)

Pal Joey (1957)

Fire Down Below (1957)

They Came To Cordura (1959)

Rita/Columbia Classics set:

Gilda (1946)

The Lady From Shanghai (1948)

The Loves Of Carmen (1948)

help me out...what else do you think would be a good idea??

• 2 months later...

> {quote:title=Ollie_T wrote:}{quote}

> We just got the new HOUDINI set. Never seen these before, and we're enjoying these.

Are you talking about the RENO set Houdini The Movie Star ? I'll have to throw a viewing party....I'm having trouble keeping interested viewing these alone.

I wanted to respond to the "other" box set thread....I won't buy some box sets when I don't love every film included. Instead of buying the Forbidden Hollywood Collection, I made my own pre-code box set of only films featuring Barbara Stanwyk; Baby Face, 10? A Dance, Night Nurse & Shopworn.

I even design my own covers so I can "shelve" it.

Warner's offering DVDs a la carte promotes this idea...create your OWN box sets!

• 1 year later...

Hi. It seemed to be a good time to ressurect the individual threads that were set up when I helped get this Forum created. We are getting so many threads being started for so many things that could all be in one place that it makes it hard to find anything.

Keeping within a theme thread makes the Classic Film DVD Reviews Forum a much neater place and better organzized.. Thanks.