Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Annette O'Toole

ljldenton

I am enjoying Annette O'Toole introducing the movies this week.  At least I saw her last night and tonight.  Doing a great job.  Such a classy lady. Thanks for having her on.

Perhaps she and her husband Michael McKean should host The Essentials until Robert Osborne returns.

• Like 2

O.T. alert...

Jakeem, who is your avatar pic? Looks like a player from an earlier era. You are a baseball fan, no doubt.

It's a Roy Hobbs baseball card from the 1984 Robert Redford film "The Natural." And, yes, I'm a die-hard San Francisco Giants fan.

Annette is alongside Michael McKean. This latter has a marvelous role in Better Call Saul. I didn't know he would be there and it was great to recognize him. He's as intelligent in real life as is the character he portrays. His comments on TCM are wonderful, there is some depth there. I'm hoping Annette can catch up soon.

Oh laffite, tsk

--

I've enjoyed Annette O'Toole for many years.  I think the most impressive thing I've seen of her work was in a TV movie called "Stand By Your Man".  She played Tammy Wynette and did an excellent job.  And she even did her own singing!  I keep hoping it will show up on some cable channel.

Terrence.

• Like 1

He's as intelligent in real life as is the character he portrays. His comments on TCM are wonderful, there is some depth there.

I find it takes a highly intelligent person to play "dumb" charactors in comedy well.

McKean was Lenny from Lenny & Squiggy fame, David St Hubbins in THIS IS SPIÑAL TAP as well as several great charactorizations on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE. And he really plays his guitar.

I see (on Wiki) he also won CELEBRITY JEOPARDY tournament for charity. If you see any of his performances, it's obvious he's a very sharp guy.

McKean is an under-appreciated super talent, imho.

• Like 1

He's as intelligent in real life as is the character he portrays. His comments on TCM are wonderful, there is some depth there.

I find it takes a highly intelligent person to play "dumb" charactors in comedy well.

McKean was Lenny from Lenny & Squiggy fame, David St Hubbins in THIS IS SPIÑAL TAP as well as several great charactorizations on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE. And he really plays his guitar.

I see (on Wiki) he also won CELEBRITY JEOPARDY tournament for charity. If you see any of his performances, it's obvious he's a very sharp guy.

I have his autograph on a Fender guitar.

Of course it is from his alter ego, David St. Hubbins!

• Like 1

Have you been watching Better Call Saul on AMC.    McKean has a major role on this fine show.       I highly recommend it.

McKean is very versatile and has really grown as an actor from his Lenny days.

JJG said: Have you been watching Better Call Saul on AMC.    McKean has a major role on this fine show.       I highly recommend it.

Alas no, I don't watch any network TV these days. Not even PBS lately.

And according to that Wiki page (is it true?) on McKean; he & the Squiggy actor created those charactors in college together & brought them to the LAVERNE & SHIRLEY show fully formed!

JJG said: Have you been watching Better Call Saul on AMC.    McKean has a major role on this fine show.       I highly recommend it.

Alas no, I don't watch any network TV these days. Not even PBS lately.

And according to that Wiki page (is it true?) on McKean; he & the Squiggy actor created those charactors in college together & brought them to the LAVERNE & SHIRLEY show fully formed!

I also rarely watch network TV but I had read so many things about Better Call Saul that I decided to check it out.   Anyhow,  it might be (or soon will be) available in another format (e.g. Netfix),  so that could be an option for you.   

Didn't know about how they created those characters in college.   While I love those characters I'm glad McKean didn't get type cast.  That happens to too many fine actors.

While Michael was on Laverne & Shirley, Penny Marshall was married to Rob Reiner at the time, which may have lead Reiner to casting McKean in This is Spinal Tap. He seems to have worked steadily since then and was in most of Christopher Guest's films.

Since TCM undertook to open up the "Spotlight" franchise we have had quite a variety of hosts- some good (film critics David Eddlestein and Michael Phillips, et al), some bad ( Wesley Clark, Matthew Broderick), some great (Ileana Douglas, Michael Feinstein, Roger Corman, Mark Harris....), and even a few FAAAAbulous hosts (Craig Barron ad Ben Burtt, and my all-time favorite EDDIE MULLER!!!) just to name a few. We can now add to this group the first married couple to host a Spotlight, and I must create a new category to describe these two- Comfortable. I knew very little about either Michael or Annette, save for the obvious, like that he was Lenny and David St. Hubbins, and that she had appeared in some films in the '80's. Somewhere along the timeline I had read here or there that one or the other was appearing in an on-or-off Broadway production or two. So now, as I watch them sitting across from one another bantering back-and-forth about this play or that writer or some actor who originated a role it is very apparent that they a) are serious fans of literature, plays and film, B) take every opportunity to support both live performance and the film industry, c) have done a great deal of work themselves in both, d) are very articulate on these subjects AND... e) are so comfortable and relaxed that I feel as though I were out with old friends discussing our film passion! For me they are completely relateable- married, just about the right age to be well educated, and they've had these discussions many times over the years, as true fans do. Yes, I think that Annette and Michael are the perfect pair for  the  current Spotlight hosting gig. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings