Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone ever see Ali in 1979's "The Greatest?"

spence

With all the coverage  of Muhammad Ali, nobody s mention a bio he made of himself from 1978/79 titled "The Greatest"  It's a dull & bad pic. though & also starred: *Ernest Borgnine-(l9l7-2002) as Angelo

Dundee. :wub:    Anyone see or hear of this one?

• Like 1

The film was released in 1977, and I liked it. Ali had a natural acting style, and it didn't hurt that he was playing himself.

The movie was based on his 1975 autobiography "The Greatest: My Own Story." 

The title song -- "The Greatest Love of All" by Michael Masser and Linda Creed -- was performed by George Benson. But the song became a megahit for Whitney Houston in 1985.

The movie's screenplay was written by the onetime blacklisted writer Ring Lardner, Jr., son of the great sports journalist Ring Lardner. The younger Lardner won the 1970 Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar for "M*A*S*H."

The film was released in 1977, and I liked it. Ali had a natural acting style, and it didn't hurt that he was playing himself.

The movie was based on his 1975 autobiography "The Greatest: My Own Story." 

The title song -- "The Greatest Love of All" by Michael Masser and Linda Creed -- was performed by George Benson. But the song became a megahit for Whitney Houston in 1985.

The movie's screenplay was written by the onetime blacklisted writer Ring Lardner, Jr., son of the great sports journalist Ring Lardner. The younger Lardner won the 1970 Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar for "M*A*S*H."

I saw a long line of people waiting to get into a theatre in ''77 on 86th Street  in NYC. I looked at the marquis, and mistakenly thought they were in line to see THE GREATEST. I later learned that they were in line for the opening of STAR WARS, which I had not yet heard of

Yeah, I've heard of it, but never got around to seeing it.  Heard both good AND bad about it from some who have.

I guess it all depended on how much you liked ALI as a boxer, or whether or not you expected much.

And it always tickles me a bit when people hit the "like" button on their own posts.  ;)

Sepiatone

Was watching Vega$ on Decades and there was an episode where Ali had a cameo role.  Funny but he was jogging and Dan stopped his car to chat with him.   Ali was very charming and funny.  Yea, he had his 'I'm the greatest,,, I'm the camp,,,  I'm the best looking'  act going on but it was clear it was an act and that is what made it charming instead of him just looking like an arrogant jerk.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings