Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm new here on TCM Message Board, and my question has probably been addressed before, but I need to know if it's legal to record TCMs onto DVD disk for my own personal collection.  I'm not selling them for monatary gain of any kind.

I'm being told different things. I don't want to be breaking a law if it's illegal to do this.

Thank you very much.

It is not illegal to record movies shown on TCM, but you may not be able to.  Your TV supplier may block recording.  I have AT&T U-verse, and earlier this year they started preventing recording.  I had to buy something (called a Grex) to remove the blocking signal.

Thanks slaytonf,

Ya!, I have AT&T/DirecTV also.  I just got it, and was told by the agent that I could record TCMs.  Once I discovered I couldn't, the next person I spoke with at DirecTV, told me they had blocks built in their HD DVR box to prevent recording.  Now I'm stuck for two years (Contract), but I'm thinking of doing an early disconnect and pay the fee, so that I can get a company that allows recording.

I don't record on DVDs, I still use a VHS/DVD player to record stuff on tape( and play all the old tapes I still have, still look good and refuse to expensively replace with DVDs because I'm not dumb enough to have been led by the nose by the technology market.

I've taped stuff off TCM with no problems.  Back in "the day" I used to rent video tapes and copy them for my personal library.  I even had one of them "descrambling" devices to override the "Macrovision".  I once had 300 cassettes with two movies each on them. 

Many of the tapes didn't age well, and a lot of what I taped became unplayable over twenty or so years, so my collection is largely depleted.  And my daughter, who has the means, now burns a lot of what I wish to keep on DVDs for me.

So I'm good.

Sepiatone

I bought a XDIMAX GREX-7.4 unit, now I need to know if anyone knows the Secret Formual for hooking this up to a DirecTV HD DVR box and a Sanyo DVD recorder.  I've tried various cable connections, but can find one that works.

I'd appreciate any related feedback on this.  Thanks.

I bought a XDIMAX GREX-7.4 unit, now I need to know if anyone knows the Secret Formual for hooking this up to a DirecTV HD DVR box and a Sanyo DVD recorder.  I've tried various cable connections, but can find one that works.

I'd appreciate any related feedback on this.  Thanks.

This page:

http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

provides clear, simple diagrams of how to hook up your Grex.  Scroll down toward the bottom of the page.  On the left is your DVR.  You plug your output from your DVR into the inputs on the Grex.  Then you go from the Grex to your recording device on the right.  You will need two sets of cables.  You will notice you have three options for connection: composite, s-video, and component.  You will also notice that some of the cables go directly from your DVR to your recording device.  These are the sound signals.  It is the video signal that has to go through the Grex.  These diagrams do not show the power supply hook up.  There is a transformer that comes with the Grex that needs to be plugged into an outlet.  There is an led that lights up to show when there is power.

backpacker, it's probably not a good idea to post your phone #.

You can private message someone if you need to share sensitive info. Mouse over the person's name and a box will appear that has "send a message" as an option on the left. Click that to send a message to only that message board member, and not every board member + anyone who happens to glance at this thread in the future.