Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
docterminal

Secondary Audio & Beauty and the Beast?

I recorded this movie the other night and at the beginning there's a notice about an alternate audio track. I've used it in the past when I had cable but now I have DISH Network. I found the settings on my DVR to activate the alternate track but all I can hear is a looped message from TCM about the SAP and check the guide for listings. So my question is, was this broadcast and did anyone listen to it? Was it available on DISH? I'd love to know why the only option I have is this looped message. Is DISH short changing its customers?

I really enjoy the commentaries on DVDs and always hoped more channels would carry them on the SAP feature.

This is one of those movies where it is better to listen to it in the original language (French) and read the sub-titles. It's not hard to follow doing so and is not distracting.

The sign of a good foreign movie is when you are so caught up in the movie and suddenly realize you have forgotten you are reading subtitles.

Unfortunately I prefer my fairytales in cartoon character form except the Rogers & Hammerstein TV version of Cinderella many years ago. In the first place, the story wasn't finished as in the B&B Disney where all the characters turned back to people. The hands/arms on the candlabras were meaningless, and the rest were equally dumb. It seemed like a very old silent movie to me, with overdone acting and horrible lighting, including no sound effects. The whole thing reminded me of a cheap "C" movie. However, I have found many french movies to be this way, too long and drawn out, with bad acting and unattractive people, as the one shown last week.

I just asked a similar question on the Information Please forum, not seeing this thread. I didn't see the movie as it aired, but recorded it as well. I didn't have the SAP audio channel option selected on my DVDR, so I can't answer your question. Apparently, the commentary from the film historians didn't copy to your recording, doctorminal. I was also wondering if commentary tracks were new to TCM broadcasts. Did you know ahead of time that Beauty and the Beast would include the commentary track on SAP and if so, how did you find out? I agree that this would be a great supplement if available.

I should mention that I heard that if recorders are connected to the TV via component cables, it will not pass SAP audio through, and one should try S-Video or composite connections.

Message was edited by: RedHook47

redhook47

This is a great question. I recorded it with SAP turned off but if it comes on again I will turn it on and see if I can get the commentary. French Films are my favorite and this one was ***** 5-Stars, one of the best. I just can't imagine anyone even trying to compare this to a Disney cartoon. WOW! I don't care for that kind of stuff but what ever your taste I guess.

Orpheus (1950) which came on next was also directed by Jean Cocteau so we had two great movies back to back. Doing the special effects with the camera worked really good. They should do more of that in the films that they make today because it really works better in representing dream states and surrealistic images.

I've never used the SAP feature when recording, but will now read how soon. Not being a fan of fairy tales (and hating the Disney version!), I was really impressed by this one. I loved the slow motion (which I normally dislike) as she entered the castle and seemed to glide down the hallway. Beautiful. Amazing work, especially considering the state of France after the war. Now I wish I'd recorded "Orpheus". :-(

In Orpheus I was standing beside myself when they crossed through the realm of non- being. At first there was no one there just empty buildings, but later we saw people who did not know that they had died. Habits are hard to break even in death so there are those who still cling on to their worthless daily exercises of futility even in death so it seems. This is a movie that really makes you think about things to come and what has been.

Sounds wonderful as well! Now I'll bother TCM Programming to show it again. Hope they have the rights to show it more than once.

I never compared this movie with the Disney version except to point out the ending was different. The book I read to my kids when they were little had the same ending, long before the Disney movie (30 years before). The gliding was obviously a people mover runner when she entered the castle. At the end he mentioned it was night, yet she was standing in the sunlight. The whole movie was filled with contradictions.

"The sign of a good foreign movie is when you are so caught up in the movie and suddenly realize you have forgotten you are reading subtitles."

I find the opposite, I get so caught up in reading the subtitles, I lose the movie, it's like reading a book instead of watching a movie.

I prefer English (Great Britain) movies because of their dry wit, and if it must be foreign, I prefer Italian, because they are more 'earthy', but being an American, I prefer American films. I'm not talking about patriotism, I'm talking about language, because even English films are sometimes hard to understand.

To answer RedHooks question, there was a notice before the start of the film that mentioned the SAP track. I use a DVR from DISH Network which records the channel exactly as its delivered. There's no separate cables running out to another recorder that would limit my recording to whichever audio track is selected. I have the recording and can go into the DVR audio settings and switch on the alternate track, the only problem is I'm not hearing a commentary as I expected. It's simply a short repeating message from TCM mentioning the SAP so I was wondering if maybe some mistake was made and it was never broadcast.

I know in some instances this track is used for the Descriptive Video Service for the vision-impaired. I remember several years ago watching L'Adventura with an optional commentary track and one time TCM showed The Wizard of Oz with the option of hearing Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. This was some years back and I remember being annoyed that my cable service was not carrying SAP on this channel.

This usually means that there is no second audio track available so I wonder if there really was one. I hear that same message when I turn SAP on and switch channels. On some channels I hear, " Your are using the SAP feature for TBS, USA etc. There is no secondary audio for this program. Please turn it off and return to your regular settings. Did anyone actually get the commentary?

I like Italian horror movies from the 1960's and 70's but for me French films are better for drama, romance and mystery. And I also forget that I am looking at subtitles when it is a really good Foreign film.

I first tried to respond this afternoon, but have very mixed success; I don't know if there were later answers that were to the point, but.....

If you heard the looped message, then everything was working properly; TCM for some reason must not have actually sent out the commentary on that SAP channel. You would have heard it there, otherwise. I haven't tried it in a long time, but that was my experience earlier.

Satellite reception (for others here) is not like regular cable reception, and a DVD recorder (or VCR, either) that is hooked up properly (with audio and video cables - component (best) or composite (good) - instead of RF (cable wire)) will only get SAP if the dish receiver is set for it. It has nothing to do with the recorder, except that to play back regular soundtrack or SAP (and not both), you must set the player for either the left or right channel playback. Then you have to remember to reset it afterwards, to get stereo once more for regular movies. It's a neat feature, but it requires work!

I've tried to be both clear but not too complicated. Hope it helps to understand what probably happened - and that docterminal was doing his part right!