Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SHAMEFUL FAVORITES

ugh... does the author have the option to take a rain check? lol... well, i can quote napoleon dynamite word for word, i cried at lilo & stitch when i saw it in the theaters, and i think i've seen starsky & hutch over 20 times.

i have a few movies i will only watch alone due to extreme embarrassment... runaway bride is one, oh... and we're not dressing.

Anything with Ray Harryhausen stop-action animation, even the not-so-good later ones.

"Robinson Crusoe on Mars"

Irish-themed classic Hollywood movies, especially ones with full-sized leprechauns, like "Luck of the Irish."

Both Pee-Wee Herman movies. ("Something you'd like to share with the rest of us, Amazing Larry????")

"Drop Dead Fred" Pheobe Cates wrestling with her imaginary friend in a posh restaurant -- very well done.

"Rock and Roll High School". Though I loved Patti Smith, the New York Dolls, the Sex Pistols..., I never really appreciated the Ramones (still don't), so I've always been bewildered about my love for this movie. Maybe it has something to do with PJ Soles...

> Irish-themed classic Hollywood movies, especially

> ones with full-sized leprechauns, like "Luck of the

> Irish."

Or "Leprechaun in the Hood"?

> Both Pee-Wee Herman movies. ("Something you'd like

> to share with the rest of us, Amazing Larry????")

I love love love Pee Wee. "Big Top Pee Wee" was not nearly as good as "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" though.

I don't really think we need to feel all that shameful about Pee-Wee. Those movies are funny.

I think "Big Top Pee-Wee" was an attempt to mainstream the character a little more, so it's not as edgy (I hate that word, but it fits) as the first one. However, everytime I watch the second one, I like it better. There's enough sly, subversive Pee-Wee humor in it to keep me coming back, and I love Valeria Golina. Piccola Puppala -- how many under 30s even get that joke? (And who remembers Danny Kaye's "Merry Andrew" upon which this movie seems to be based?)

And knitting, and knitting, and knitting, and knitting, and . . . . . ...

Red Dawn.

Trash, and not reflective of my political views, but my, what an adventure! *lol*

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Again, there's not a thought in this demented little movie's head, but it struck me funny.

For Love of the Game

Gee, baseball meets romance ? la Lifetime network treatment. Oh, yeah, there's also some nice closeups of Kevin Costner. Guilt, guilt, guilt.

P.S. Loved PeeWee's Big Adventure, too. Used to watch PeeWee's Playhouse on Saturday mornings too and yes, I was an adult at the time. Ah, the eighties!

More sweet guilt.

> For Love of the Game

> Gee, baseball meets romance ? la Lifetime network

> treatment. Oh, yeah, there's also some nice closeups

> of Kevin Costner. Guilt, guilt, guilt.

I love this movie too. I'm a big baseball fan(if you hadn't guessed :-)) and like I mentioned in another thread a few days ago, I bawled like a baby when he pitched the perfect game. Good stuff.

Brad

Loved Pee Wee, too! Always watched his show on Saturday mornings! I miss that actually. You know in the old days the studio would have covered that up and paid off the police. And, we would still have Pee Wee with us, well he is pretty old now, but his career would have taken a different turn, and who knows he may have had a sitcom by now!

Well, GM, I've got another favorite from "Pee-Wee's Playhouse" days, and it's Ernest (know what I mean, Vern?).

Jim Varney did a Saturday morning show during that time, ostensibly for children, but it was way too hip for the room. It lasted only one season. It was like his Ernest Worrell movies, but actually far more sophisticated, and it was very, very funny. I think it won an Emmy or a Peabody Award or something like that.

During that period we also had "The Completely Mental Adventures of Ed Grimley" in animated form. Martin Short had the voice and writing participating of several of his Second City TV colleagues, along with Jonathan Winters. That was also not really for kids, also very funny, and it also sank into oblivion.

All of these shows would have benefited from being aired on Comedy Central, MTv VH1, and their ilk. I'd prefer to think of them as "Guilty Pleasures," rather than "Shameful Favorites." And that's no lie, I must say.

Judith, I never saw the Ernest show! Don't know how I missed it. But, I did watch Ed Grimly. Ha! I had forgotten about him. And, I loved Second City!

I think you're right, they are guilty pleasures. I would tell anyone if it came up, but I don't know how often I would bring it up. But, that's probably an age/memory thing more than anything else! Ha!

now, doesn't this feel better? getting all these off of your chest... it's liberating.

moirafinnie6: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Again, there's not a thought in this demented little movie's head, but it struck me funny.

dude, i loved that movie! admit, it's the most convincing acting keanu reeves ever did!

When I'm totally bored and want to laugh, I toss in my DVD of Cinderella, (Disney cartoon), and thoroughly enjoy Gus and Jaques the mice. Last year when it was re-released, I bought a copy for my grandaughters birthday, then went back the next day and got one of my own. It's alwas been my favorite, and I love it to bits.

I have two that I always pop in when I'm feeling down:

1. Airport '77! The best of the Airport movies because I love the cast--Jack Lemmon, Joseph Cotten, Olivia de Havilland (Together again! I wish they would have made more movies together), Darren McGavin, Jimmy Stewart (who's screentime is basically a close up of his worried face), Christopher Lee and Lee Grant as the hysterical b**ch you just want to slap around!

2. Uh...Death Wish 3. No really. You have to see this one to believe the ridiculousness of it all. Bronson running around, chasing after punks and killing them with his "friend" Wildy (his gun!), showing no emotion when his girlfriend gets killed, children dancing in the street when the bad guys get taken down, really stupid sound effects, a lame, "funky" soundtrack by Jimmy Page (of Led Zeppelin!) and Martin Balsam turning into a stuntperson when the neighborhood thugs throw him off the balcony.

The ending is also really bizarre. In the last scene, it looks like the street punks are going to start a choreographed dance routine when they leave town. I've seen it about 20 times and it never fails to make me laugh. Hands down, the best comedy of 1985.

Well.....I feel a little embarassed that I can watch "Mr. Blandlings Builds His Dream House" ; "Houseboat" over and over and never tire of them.

I also love the Doris Day comedies......"Please Don't Eat the Daisies" ; "Pillow Talk" ; "That Touch of Mink" ; "The Thrill of It All"; "Send Me no Flowers"

I've been (seriously) thinking about this thread for days...I've finally picked three movies that I would consider to be my "shameful favorites." They are controversial, hypnotic and they make me squirm...as if I'm watching something so immoral and illegal...like I've made a pact with "The Devil."

"Triumph Of The Will"

In the '80's, my brother taught a university speech/communication course. He would show this movie (along with "King: A Filmed Record...Montgomery To Memphis") to show charismatic public speakers' impact on "the people." He brought the movie (and a projector) home and we watched it on his living room wall. It is, like any "propaganda film," a wholesome depiction of a dangerous movement. It is a beautiful film that lulls you with music and majesty and madness into this warped utopia...until you remember, in horror, what really happened. Leni Riefenstahl is a powerful and consummate documentarian/filmmaker. If you can't stomach "Triumph Of The Will-" I highly recommend "Olympia."

"Pink Flamingos"

I'm a big John Waters fan...especially his earlier (more subversive) stuff-including "Mondo Trasho," "Multiple Maniacs," "Female Trouble," and "Desperate Living" (with Liz Renay.) "Pink Flamingos" has to be the most shocking movie ever!! I can't imagine what people thought in '72. I can't even mention what "filthy" things happen in the movie-in this forum. I do think Divine was divine...he should have, at least, received a Golden Globe nomination.

"Showgirls"

Who knows if Joe Eszterhas and Paul Verhoeven were trying to make a drama...the finished product is a hilarious camp classic. Elizabeth Berkeley is so frantic and over the top (totally channeling all the performances from "Valley Of The Dolls.") It has a great soundtrack too. Watching this movie is like eating too much wedding cake-delicious and decadent and deadly.

There are also a couple of TV shows that I'm shocked to see on basic cable..."Wondershowzen-"irreverant and hilarious and "Nip/Tuck-"I just started watching this show this year. Last week's episode included (among other things) the theft of a lesbian's kidney and Melissa Gilbert playing a woman having an affair with her dog! (This results in her having to have reconstructive surgery.) Now that's shameful...