Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TWO NEW MARION DAVIES RELEASES

drednm

This coming January will mark the 120th birthday of Marion Davies. I think it's about time TCM had Davies for Star of the Month. To make it even better, there two new DVDs of her silent films being released later this year. I am releasing The Bride's Play (1922) a nice romance film with stunning sets and seascapes, and Ben Model is releasing When Knighthood Was in Flower (1922) the mega-hit costume drama that made Davies a superstar. Both films, I am pleased to say, will be scored by the talented Ben Model.

This will be the first time Knighthood has been released on DVD/BLU and will recreate some of the hand tinting done on the original film. The film has been available only in prints made from a muddy old VHS released in the 1970s. The Bride's Play has not been seen since its original release, but will be shown at this year's "Lost 5" symposium in Culpeper, VA. Both prints are from 35MM elements from the Library of Congress.

TCM debuts of these films would make for a very special Davies tribute. They could also show my 2014 project Enchantment (1921) again ... not seen since November 2014.

It's the perfect time to recognize and celebrate this wonderful actress.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings