Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Fat Men on Film

CaveGirl

Okay, okay I should have said men of avoirdupois probably, which would be more politically correct.

But since many of them were labelled in the actual film as "fat" then I feel secure in my wording.

There are quite a few actors who seemed to relish such parts and were outstanding in their field, and one of the ones I really always enjoy is Thomas Gomez.

He could be an oily, obnoxious gangster so well, and was good in any part.

So...who is your favorite heavy in films, in weight only?

For comedy performance I would say Eugene Pallette.  

But overall I might have to go with the fat man himself;  Sydney Greenstreet.

The Fat Man!

He sure was overpowering in that film, of course the way they shot him from below made him look like a beached whale.

Love Eugene Pallette too, and his foghorn like voice. I did once watch a really old silent with him in it, to see if he looked thinner and yes, I almost did not recognize him.

J. Scott Smart and Burl Ives. The one, the only Orson Welles is, of course, in a category by himself.

Oooh, kudos for picking J. Scott Smart, FITC!

What a novel choice and he always reminded me a bit of Laird Cregar. 

Bravo, also for Ives and Welles.

Laird Cregar would be my choice, but I must give honorable mention status to Paul Maxey and Peter Whitney. I knew of those two from TV even before I started watching films. Whitney was amazingly versatile, quite skilled with accents.

Laird Cregar would be my choice, but I must give honorable mention status to Paul Maxey and Peter Whitney. I knew of those two from TV even before I started watching films. Whitney was amazingly versatile, quite skilled with accents.

Wonderful choices, Clore.

That Peter Whitney was so good. I think of him from films and a lot of tv appearances and he could be so sinister.

Paul Maxey I also think of for both tv and movies, but he seemed a bit more comedic as I recall.

• Like 1

I'm gonna be a "bright boy" here and suggest the guy in the center of this photo...

322646.jpg

...and who would go on to lend his mellifluous baritone voice to many a future project when he wasn't in front of the camera.

(...this of course is William Conrad)

• Like 2

A little more recent "fat man" actor who I think adds to any movie he's in would be John Goodman.

Sure, and for me as well( not having read all the posts, I'm just assuming he's already been mentioned) JOHN CANDY is a favorite.

And of course, the usual....

SIDNEY GREENSTREET (hm!  When I was 12 we moved onto a street here in Lincoln Park called "Green")

OLIVER HARDY

"CUDDLES"

JACKIE GLEASON

EUGENE PALLETTE (sic)

WALTER SLEZAK

ANDY DEVINE

In fact, the ONLY fat man in movies I REALLY couldn't stand was FATTY ARBUCKLE.  Never COULD fathom his appeal.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I believe that a beefcake photo should be provided as a visual aid for any fat man you recommend.

Alright. Seein' as how I just suggested John Goodman here DGF, here ya go...

goodman.png

(...happy NOW?!)

;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings