Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Third Reich Movies

CaveGirl

Just like they say Mussolini got the trains running on time [though I've heard that is now discounted] I'm sure there were a few films that were produced in the Third Reich that were good.

To prepare myself, if the Fourth Reich is on its way, please state which films from that time do you think are some of the most well done?

Sorry CG, I gotta tell ya I swore off watchin' those Third Reich-era movies when one day while shaving in front my bathroom mirror I started wonderin' how I'd look with one of those little mustaches that aren't any wider than the width of my nose.

(...okay, sorry...actually I don't think I've ever seen any German films made during that time, but I have heard your pick of TITANIC is a pretty good one)  

Oh, well, I HAVE seen THAT one, anyway. Yep, that one and Leni's OLYMPIA.

Although in that second one here, I would've preferred it if she might have spotlighted a little more on Jesse kickin' some German butt in the Track and Field events.

(...ah, but then again, I suppose that wouldn't have found much favor with her boss, huh)

;)

I forgot to mention that my choice was the 1943 film, "Titanic" which was quite well done by the German film community of the time.

I have it on DVD, surprisingly it told the truth to a degree that making money was more important than safety, the same arguments the British and Americans had.  It blew up in Josef Goebbels face - symbolic to Germany being the sinking ship and Hitler  the captain.

Hard to believe the production cost was so high.

Here is the documentary of the making of "Nazi Titanic" (1943)

"Kolberg" (1945) was movie production on steroids, costing over a BILLION dollars in today's US currency. :o

kolbergbattle-filminthethirdreich-deutsc

• Like 1

if the Fourth Reich is on its way

I don't know what this is supposed to mean, but since politics is supposed to be verboten on here, I won't pursue it.

Anyway, I've seen a handful of Nazi-era films. Titanic is worth seeing for its special effects and sets, and for the hilarious falsifications: the German purser as the only officer who understands the danger, the nice German couple in steerage who are so much braver than anybody else, and the classic final title card: "And thus were 1500 lives lost in the British lust for profits."

IMHO the most entertaining German film of the period is Munchausen (1943), a lavish version of the legend and, as far as I could tell, free of blatant propaganda.

A few years ago I watched the 1934 House of Rothschild from Fox, followed by the German Rothschild film (1940). I have to confess I was surprised by how little outright anti-semitism was in the German version -- though there was certainly some, notably when the family maps out their European outposts to form a Star of David.

I keep meaning to watch the British Jew Suss of 1934 followed by the German one of 1940, but never get around to it. The German is allegedly vilely anti-semitic, so much so that the star and director were arrested and had to answer to postwar Allied tribunals.

• Like 2

How about the documentary of Hitler's early years?  It was narrated by Kenneth Mars and focused on the workman-like efficiency with which a young Adolf painted in watercolor.  Before Hitler got a ball shot off in WWI and became virulently anti-Semitic he vas a painting machine!  Narrates Kenneth:  "He vos already immerzed in ze world of the Yerman postcard.  Vun day young Adolf sneezed und got nasal 'schtuff' all over vun uff de posties he vas painting.  He later recalled zis incident ven he called his party ze 'Snotzis'.   

The title was "HITLER DECLARES 'I LOVE TO PAINT PRETTY PICTURES'".

Oh, well, I HAVE seen THAT one, anyway. Yep, that one and Leni's OLYMPIA.

Although in that second one here, I would've preferred it if she might have spotlighted a little more on Jesse kickin' some German butt in the Track and Field events.

(...ah, but then again, I suppose that wouldn't have found much favor with her boss, huh)

;)

Jawohl, mein Führer!

How about the documentary of Hitler's early years?  It was narrated by Kenneth Mars and focused on the workman-like efficiency with which a young Adolf painted in watercolor.  Before Hitler got a ball shot off in WWI and became virulently anti-Semitic he vas a painting machine!  Narrates Kenneth:  "He vos already immerzed in ze world of the Yerman postcard.  Vun day young Adolf sneezed und got nasal 'schtuff' all over vun uff de posties he vas painting.  He later recalled zis incident ven he called his party ze 'Snotzis'.   

The title was "HITLER DECLARES 'I LOVE TO PAINT PRETTY PICTURES'".

OH yeah! I think I've seen that one TOO, Mr.G!

(...didn't that "documentary" include a big production number celebrating a certain season of the year for Der Fuhrer, TOO?)

;) 

• Like 1

Jawohl, mein Führer!

WOW, LR! Gotta say you talk that there kraut talk pretty darn well!

Yep, you even included those two little dot thingies above the "u" in Adolf's job description!

(...sure wish I wasn't monolingual sometimes...but then again, I'm still tryin' to master this here English language...the version in which we don't use that superfluous letter "u" in certain words like the limeys do, of course)

;)

• Like 1

If anyone can find a copy of "The Hollywood Hall of Shame" by the Medved Brothers (1984), there's a chapter called "Fascist Follies".  It details the making of "Kolberg" (1945, backed by Goebbels and Hitler), and "Scipio Africanus" (1937, backed by Mussolini).  Very interesting and worth reading.

• Like 1

For the last couple of years, I have been watching a lot of 1930's German films on youtube, as so much has been uploaded. When speaking of Third Reich era films, there has been a tendency for film historians to emphasize a few key films.

Because the German market was so large, people overlook the fact that numerous film features were produced during that era, and most of them were escapist entertainment. Goebbels and Hitler were big film buffs and knew people went to the movies to be entertained and to escape their cares. (Both men watched a lot of Hollywood films, which gave them a template for mass entertainment). Many of the German films of that period clearly show a Hollywood influence.

The Hitler regime considered film to be of vital importance, and so that regime expended vast resources on film production. Many slick, well produced, stylish and entertaining films were created then. A lot of this has made it to youtube. Unfortunately, most of this stuff has not been subtitled, so your German will have to be good!

• Like 2

For the last couple of years, I have been watching a lot of 1930's German films on youtube, as so much has been uploaded. When speaking of Third Reich era films, there has been a tendency for film historians to emphasize a few key films.

Because the German market was so large, people overlook the fact that numerous film features were produced during that era, and most of them were escapist entertainment. Goebbels and Hitler were big film buffs and knew people went to the movies to be entertained and to escape their cares. (Both men watched a lot of Hollywood films, which gave them a template for mass entertainment). Many of the German films of that period clearly show a Hollywood influence.

The Hitler regime considered film to be of vital importance, and so that regime expended vast resources on film production. Many slick, well produced, stylish and entertaining films were created then. A lot of this has made it to youtube. Unfortunately, most of this stuff has not been subtitled, so your German will have to be good!

Hey, Thelma nice of you to join us since you must be in pain from your death in your car. By the way, I never liked your paramour Pat DiCicoo but on to your erudite post.

My German not being good but almost nonexistent, except for asking for a glass of water [Gib su mir en glas vacer?...that's my phonetic spelling of my father's teaching in his desire to make sure I always could solve thirst while in Berlin] I have not seen too many films of that period except for of course Leni Reifenstahl's.

Hitler did enjoy Hollywood films. We all remember how much he wanted to see Chaplin's "The Great Dictator".

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings