Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Intro Goof

elliebell

I always mute his introes, but thanks for pointing out the mistake: it matters.

I did catch the first part of LET US BE GAY and what a WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIRD MOVIE! I am very sorry that I fell asleep about 20 minutes in because- just wow. Norma Shearer plays the first 10 minutes FRUMPED TO THE MAX. I did not recognize her, kept wondering when Norma was going to show up. Also a very bold story about infidelity.

would def. like to rewatch some time.

• Like 2

A goof like that hardly matters at all IMO. A minor mishap. I mean, c'mon.

:P

Ben is so bad that he has to be muted? I wouldn't think he was that bad but maybe I wouldn't really know. I don't watch a lot of the intros because they give info that could be seen as spoilers, they say too much.

///

• Like 3

I always mute his intros, but thanks for pointing out the mistake: it matters.

I agree. Some leeway has to be given for tiny mistakes. But TCM's business is movies and the information should be as correct as possible. If we went to a fast-food restaurant and they mislabeled beets as pickles, it would matter because our hamburger would not taste like it should.

• Like 1

I agree. Some leeway has to be given for tiny mistakes. But TCM's business is movies and the information should be as correct as possible. If we went to a fast-food restaurant and they mislabeled beets as pickles, it would matter because our hamburger would not taste like it should.

Speakin' o' which, TB.

If you ever happen run into THIS guy at that fast food place you mentioned...

Wimpy.jpg

...whatEVER ya do, do NOT believe a WORD of that "he'll gladly pay you next Tuesday" thing he says if you'll buy a hamburger for him!

(...'cause the deadbeat STILL owes me the price of a Big Mac from a MONTH ago!!!!)

;)

• Like 1

Bad analogy.

A weenie mistake like that would not affect the experience of the movie. Unless you're a special sensitivity person where little things cause major upheavals. I'm quite sure that something like that would not affect my "taste" of the movie, not in the least.

Yes, yes, yes (for crying out loud) it would be better if a movie channel would not mistakes about movies that they are showing, but even a movie channel is being run by human beings. Perfection cannot be presumed nor expected. My sense is that such errors are probably rare although anyone for whom this a soap box issue will no doubt disagree.

EDIT: Some leeway should be given on tiny mistakes, I agree.

• Like 1

Speakin' o' which, TB.

If you ever happen run into THIS guy at that fast food place you mentioned...

Wimpy.jpg

...whatEVER ya do, do NOT believe a WORD of that "he'll gladly pay you next Tuesday" thing he says if you'll buy a hamburger for him!

(...'cause the deadbeat STILL owes me the price of a Big Mac from a MONTH ago!!!!)

That's hilarious, Dargo. My last name is McDonald...and when I give it over the phone, I always say 'M-c' as in the restaurant. :)

That's hilarious, Dargo. My last name is McDonald...and when I give it over the phone, I always say 'M-c' as in the restaurant. :)

Well, I suppose in these efforts you could ALSO mention that, no, it's not like that old guy who owns a farm.

(...and then maybe add, "E-I-E-I-O" at the end, just for emphasis)

• Like 1

Well, I suppose in these efforts you could ALSO mention that, no, it's not like that old guy who owns a farm.

(...and then maybe add, "E-I-E-I-O" at the end, just for emphasis)

Exactly. I was teased as a kid (so were my sisters and cousins). That's why I say 'M-c' as in the restaurant, because people seem to want to spell it 'Mac' which is the Scottish version, and my ancestors were Irish.

Apologies to the OP for slightly derailing the topic at hand..!

Exactly. I was teased as a child (so were my sisters and cousins). That's why I say 'M-c' as in the restaurant, because people seem to want to spell it 'Mac' which is the Scottish spelling, and my ancestors were Irish.

Yeah, I hear that dude who played the dad with three sons in that old sitcom always had the same problem.

(...but in reverse, of course)

• Like 1

I always mute his introes, but thanks for pointing out the mistake: it matters.

I did catch the first part of LET US BE GAY and what a WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIRD MOVIE! I am very sorry that I fell asleep about 20 minutes in because- just wow. Norma Shearer plays the first 10 minutes FRUMPED TO THE MAX. I did not recognize her, kept wondering when Norma was going to show up. Also a very bold story about infidelity.

would def. like to rewatch some time.

I can't believe that Norma Shearer agreed to look so terrible in the beginning of that movie.  One naturally assumes that she did it without makeup and that is what she really looked like sans makeup.  I agree, pretty weird movie (particularly in the opening scenes) but NS' "transformation" from frump to diva is pretty amazing and, of course, any opportunity to see Marie Dressler works for me.

• Like 3

It's not as if TCM doesn't have its own database to check such things. Like when Osborne said that Stanwyck's co-star in the about-to-air LADY OF BURLESQUE was Dennis O'Keefe.when it was actually Michael O'Shea. Some may argue that this is just trivia and doesn't matter, but if it doesn't matter, then why feature it at all? I really can't blame the host(s) for such script errors, but the staff's job is to make the host look good and at that, they have been on a steady decline for the last five years.

• Like 2

It's not as if TCM doesn't have its own database to check such things. Like when Osborne said that Stanwyck's co-star in the about-to-air LADY OF BURLESQUE was Dennis O'Keefe.when it was actually Michael O'Shea. Some may argue that this is just trivia and doesn't matter, but if it doesn't matter, then why feature it at all? I really can't blame the host(s) for such script errors, but the staff's job is to make the host look good and at that, they have been on a steady decline for the last five years.

Well GEEEZ, clore! "O'Keefe"..."O'Shea" ?!

AT LEAST give Bob some credit that it was an IRISH guy in that movie anyway, RIGHT?!!!

(...'cause like that whole "Mc" vs "Mac" thing we've been discussin' here, the Scots don't have names that begin with that "O-apostrophe" thing, RIGHT?!!!)

;)

• Like 1

I can't believe that Norma Shearer agreed to look so terrible in the beginning of that movie. One naturally assumes that she did it without makeup and that is what she really looked like sans makeup. .

It kind of reminded me of that joke about the husband and wife where the wife NEVER EVER lets the husband see her without makeup, and one night they are woken up by a strange noise and they go downstairs and see that it's just the cat that's knocked something over.

The wife says "well thank heavens that was nothing to worry about" and the husband says "now we just have one problem" and the wife says "what?"

... and he takes a good look and says:

"just who in the hell are YOU?"

• Like 1

I can't believe that Norma Shearer agreed to look so terrible in the beginning of that movie.  One naturally assumes that she did it without makeup and that is what she really looked like sans makeup. 

LOL! I'll have to remember to watch this next time. :D

Interesting points. I can't argue with what you're saying, clore...because I agree. But I am sure the old AMC and its hosts made mistakes too. Again, they should try to be as correct as possible...however, when they flub things up, it is not the proverbial end of the world.

Hey, TB I'm serving my mother's famed Beet and Egg Salad tonight for dinner with some Corned Beef if you are free?

I only use the best beets from Vlasic!

• Like 1

Well GEEEZ, clore! "O'Keefe"..."O'Shea" ?!

AT LEAST give Bob some credit that it was an IRISH guy in that movie anyway, RIGHT?!!!

(...'cause like that whole "Mc" vs "Mac" thing we've been discussin' here, the Scots don't have names that begin with that "O-apostrophe" thing, RIGHT?!!!)

;)

Someone on staff must have been relying on memory. O'Keefe did co-star with Vivian Blaine in DOLL FACE, which like LADY OF BURLESQUE was based on Gypsy Rose Lee authored source material.

I used to do research in the broadcast TV industry. When I cited stats, I had to document the source. If TCM staffers were forced to follow such a routine, the number of errors would drop significantly. This way if someone points out that Osborne was wrong when he said that a 20-year-old Charles Bronson could be seen in THE MOB, it could be verified that either the researcher is poor at math (Bronson was born in 1921) or just pulling numbers out of... well, I'll be polite and say "the air."

• Like 4

Interesting points. I can't argue with what you're saying, clore...because I agree. But I am sure the old AMC and its hosts made mistakes too. Again, they should try to be as correct as possible...however, when they flub things up, it is not the proverbial end of the world.

No, it's not the end of the world but for me the primary issue is that when I first started watching the channel, I hardly ever caught a goof. It's become much more habitual of late. I imagine that AMC made a few errors back then, but I was working and didn't get to watch TV as much as I do now. By the time i left the work force, AMC was already on my stink list because of the commercials - I haven't watched it in a dozen years.

I do remember that when they were alternating Dorian and Clooney, they were using the same script verbatim.

All databases are "works in progress."  I have seen some mature faster than others.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings