Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All About Eve question.....

Debra Johnson

I've seen this movie many times.  Watched it just recently and something I never picked up on before.  When Eve has her housemate to call Lloyd late that night to come over and see about her and he goes....did they sleep together?  Why was Eve so sure/comfortable after that night to tell Addison that Lloyd was leaving Karen and they would be married?

I don't think they slept together. I think he just wasn't on to her yet, and thought he was genuinely helping her.

My guess is she was confident because with the exception of Bill (whom she came close to stealing, I think he caught onto her quicker than Lloyd), she had succeeded in all her other schemes and figured that this one would work too. Plus, she needed it to work because being married to a playwright would further elevate her in the theater scene. Her whole plan was working beautifully until Addision exposed all her lies and then blackmailed her.

• Like 1

I've seen this movie many times.  Watched it just recently and something I never picked up on before.  When Eve has her housemate to call Lloyd late that night to come over and see about her and he goes....did they sleep together?  Why was Eve so sure/comfortable after that night to tell Addison that Lloyd was leaving Karen and they would be married?

Concerning Lloyd, Eve tells Addison, "I'm holding out for a run of the play contract" -- meaning, I take it, that Lloyd will have to marry her first.

What I wonder about is what happens after the phone call. Eve and her housemate, both in bathrobes, walk up the stairs with their arms around each other. Well, they *are* good friends.

I don't think they slept together. I think he just wasn't on to her yet, and thought he was genuinely helping her.

My guess is she was confident because with the exception of Bill (whom she came close to stealing, I think he caught onto her quicker than Lloyd), she had succeeded in all her other schemes and figured that this one would work too. Plus, she needed it to work because being married to a playwright would further elevate her in the theater scene. Her whole plan was working beautifully until Addision exposed all her lies and then blackmailed her.

Your take here matches what I always assumed.    Eve had gotten cocky, so she was confident she could steal Lloyd from Karen.  This scene sets up the following scene well where Addison puts Eve squarely back in her place.   

But if she'd made a move on Lloyd and he'd rejected her.....same as Bill had done earlier.  WHY would she tell Addison he was leaving his wife and they'd be married?   It doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

But if she'd made a move on Lloyd and he'd rejected her.....same as Bill had done earlier.  WHY would she tell Addison he was leaving his wife and they'd be married?   It doesn't make sense.

It was all in her head.  Or her sanguine imagination.

• 2 weeks later...

All About Eve leaves itself open to several interpretations.  Every thing we see, the Mise-en-scène, is there for a reason.  The film shows how lucky those who have found success on the stage or screen truly are.  And that an upstart, usually younger, can supplant a star such as Margo Channing. 

So you're saying she wasn't sane?

But Lloyd DID go to her that night, so what do you think happened once he got there and there was nothing wrong w/her.  I wish this ha been addressed.

Reading the various comments about related to Lloyd and Eve,  I'm changing my POV on this.     I assume the two did have some type of sexual relationship BEFORE that night were she got her roommate to get him to come over.   Eve to advance her career and Lloyd just taking what was offered.     But Lloyd wasn't in love with Eve, and therefore wasn't going to leave Karen for Eve.  

When Lloyd got there that night and found out nothing was wrong with her and she called him over just to trap him,  he understood her overall plan and left,  cutting off future contact with her.

• 3 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings