Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Natives Are Restless!

CaveGirl

If I hear this line in a film at the beginning, I am bound to my chair. I love such films and usually of course they are some kind of jungle picture.

But I think the phrase could be true for many film situations. Lynchings, rock and roll spectaculars or what not.

Pick a film that you think presents this type of situation, and tell us why you like it. By the way, jungle movies where even the elephants are banding together against the humans is an okay choice too.

Lately I have felt stirrings in many segments of society, where the "natives are restless" aphorism seems appropriate. This may be just a trend or relative to society's new cultural mix.

CaveGirl--I take it you watch "Green Dolphin Street" (1947) each time it airs?  That exact phrase is used well into the film, just before Lana & Co. experience a Native uprising in New Zealand.

Other films using that line or a variation:

"Unconquered" (1947)--Gary Cooper & Paulette Goddard in The French and Indian War, with Boris Karloff as a Seneca chieftain.

"Elephant Boy" (1937)--The elephants have Good Reason to be restless.

"King Solomon's Mines (1937& 1950)--1937 version has Paul Robeson singing, 1950 version is just a big-budget jungle picture--both are enjoyable.

"She" (1935)--Camp classic--watch for the dance routine that provokes this line!

• Like 1

The Spencer Tracy movie FURY comes to mind.  I liked it because, well....I always liked Tracy's movies, and I long thought back in her day, SYLVIA SIDNEY  was a cutie.

Sepiatone

Very fine choice, Sepia.

I too would stay away from those natives, who looked quite bloodthirsty!

Okay, I probably should not say this as it is not very nice, but considering how attractive Sylvia Sidney was young, I can't think of anyone who looked less attractive old. She looked like some wizened old crone and I always thought of that Twilight Zone episode called "The Masks" where people started looking the way they acted in real life, due to the fact that I'd read that Sylvia was a rather mean and nasty person on sound stages.

CaveGirl--I take it you watch "Green Dolphin Street" (1947) each time it airs?  That exact phrase is used well into the film, just before Lana & Co. experience a Native uprising in New Zealand.

Other films using that line or a variation:

"Unconquered" (1947)--Gary Cooper & Paulette Goddard in The French and Indian War, with Boris Karloff as a Seneca chieftain.

"Elephant Boy" (1937)--The elephants have Good Reason to be restless.

"King Solomon's Mines (1937& 1950)--1937 version has Paul Robeson singing, 1950 version is just a big-budget jungle picture--both are enjoyable.

"She" (1935)--Camp classic--watch for the dance routine that provokes this line!

Love that movie, but I had not remembered the line from it, so thanks!

I've seen all your choices but "Elephant Boy" which I may have seen but will have to look up to make sure.

The natives in "King Solomon's Mines" are some of the best on film. I like the 1950's version the best, even though it lacks Robeson. 

Postscript: Yes, I have seen "Elephant Boy". I thought it was with Sabu. I watch all his films since who better than he, except maybe for Turhan Bey, brings the word "exotic" to films.

• Like 1

This is a phrase that is often used figuratively, yes? We don't need a jungle. Management meetings might refer to employee discontent by saying that phrase. Or does the line have to actually be said out loud in the screenplay? It's fun to think about either way.

• Like 1

This is a phrase that is often used figuratively, yes? We don't need a jungle. Management meetings might refer to employee discontent by saying that phrase. Or does the line have to actually be said out loud in the screenplay? It's fun to think about either way.

You bring up an interesting point, Laffite in the word "jungle".

Think how often in films it is used metaphorically, as in "The Garment Jungle", "Juvenile Jungle" et cetera.

It is fun to think about it either way, as you say. I think using phrases which are more often used non-figuratively can be amusing. I worked once in an advertising agency, where a guy in the art department would always say as he was finishing up his lunch "Well, back to the drawing board" and we would tell him that it was actually much more common for that phrase to be used in business, in places where the person saying it was not actually heading back to a real drawing board.

You bring up an interesting point, Laffite in the word "jungle".

Think how often in films it is used metaphorically, as in "The Garment Jungle", "Juvenile Jungle" et cetera.

It is fun to think about it either way, as you say. I think using phrases which are more often used non-figuratively can be amusing. I worked once in an advertising agency, where a guy in the art department would always say as he was finishing up his lunch "Well, back to the drawing board" and we would tell him that it was actually much more common for that phrase to be used in business, in places where the person saying it was not actually heading back to a real drawing board.

Yeah, CG. And reportedly, that phrase was actually heard almost daily at around 1pm within a small diner located just off Riverside Drive and just a stone's throw from Termite Terrace!

(...but of course in THIS case, it WAS correctly said in the literal sense by Chuck Jones and the rest of the boys who lunched in that little diner)

;)

Yeah, CG. And reportedly, that phrase was actually heard almost daily at around 1pm within a small diner located just off Riverside Drive and just a stone's throw from Termite Terrace!

(...but of course in THIS case, it WAS correctly said in the literal sense by Chuck Jones and the rest of the boys who lunched in that little diner)

;)

Having graduated from the Acme Academy for Catholic Girls, Dargo I am well aware of the work of Mr. Jones and company.

Excellent reportage, thanks!

I hate to quote myself here, but I have something to add to this and regarding "natives being restless".

;)

Word ALSO was that the reason Termite Terrace was situated way out in the W/B back lot was because Jack Warner wanted that animation staff of his as far away from sane folk as possible.

(...'cause supposedly, that bunch could get QUITE "restless" occasionally and begin to be a source of utter chaos within the confines of that movie studio at the drop of a hat) 

I hate to quote myself here, but I have something to add to this and regarding "natives being restless".

Word ALSO was that the reason Termite Terrace was situated way out in the W/B back lot was because Jack Warner wanted that animation staff of his as far away from sane folk as possible.

(...'cause supposedly, that bunch could get QUITE "restless" occasionally and begin to be a source of utter chaos within the confines of that movie studio at the drop of a hat) 

Having always been more attuned to the Chuck Jones gang, than the Disney animator schtick, I was always more into the "Duck Amuck" style of cartoon. My favorite of course is Wile E. Coyote and I love the work of Ub Iwerks and Tex Avery.

Plus I can relate to keeping the sane from the insane at work, since they would always keep the writing and art department areas way far away from the corporate offices, and would just leave us alone at every place I worked. Once the corporate decorating fools  hung a horrid farm type bucolic scene print up in our space. The art departent staff cut out pictures of nude men and surreptitiously glued them to the existing scene [with a tractor and hay loft and barn] and they used colored markers to shade the bodies so they would totally blend in. The scene ended up looking like it was painted by Hieronymous Bosch. No wonder the higher ups rarely brought in any outside folks to view the creative staff offices.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings