Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Obsolete Movie Plots

CaveGirl

I was thinking about foundlings the other day, and realized that this topic had been a source for many old movies, but no longer now with children's service units and such.

The old trick of finding a baby on the doorstep and looking for its mama, or giving one up was used extensively by Tinseltown.

I read a book once by Harlan Ellison wherein he asked the readers to submit to him things which no longer seemingly existed in our culture, and he would credit the person in an upcoming books.

He was not referring to species which had been exterminated, more like products or words no longer used typically in the current lexicon, and such.

Please submit your plots which used to be gold mines for films but are no longer relevant.

• Like 1

When I watch crime shows from the 60s and 70s (Ironside comes to mind) and they have to stop along the highway to use a pay phone and call the chief about something.

Or when the kidnapper tells the person paying the ransom to go to some abandoned phone booth on the outskirts of town, it seems kind of passé.

When I watch crime shows from the 60s and 70s (Ironside comes to mind) and they have to stop along the highway to use a pay phone and call the chief about something.

Or when the kidnapper tells the person paying the ransom to go to some abandoned phone booth on the outskirts of town, it seems kind of passé.

So true, TB.

In fact they could not probably make "The Graduate" today because the latter plot hinged on Ben having to find a phone to locate the church which Elaine is getting married at, and now he would have his cell phone with him. I was watching last nite and had to laugh at when he leaped out of the sports car and ran into the gas station to use the phone.

• Like 1

Speaking of pay phones, movies like Pillow Talk and Party Wire, with plots that revolved around sharing a telephone line, aka “party line,” would be irrelevant today.  Also, I don’t know if answering services exist any more, but, if they do, there probably aren’t that many.  At any rate, Bells Are Ringing is another movie that comes to mind as a film with a plot that you are not likely to see again. 

• Like 2

When I watch crime shows from the 60s and 70s (Ironside comes to mind) and they have to stop along the highway to use a pay phone and call the chief about something.

Or have you noticed in Perry Mason, how someone always calls for Perry at the crime scene or at one of the numerous suspects homes? How do they know where he is? But Perry never seems to be surprised to receive these phone calls.

• Like 1

Or have you noticed in Perry Mason, how someone always calls for Perry at the crime scene or at one of the numerous suspects homes? How do they know where he is? But Perry never seems to be surprised to receive these phone calls.

Princess, I was told on good authority by Tragg that Gertie is the one who always tracks poor old Perry down at the crime scene.

Hey, don't you enjoy when they show Perry at home in his pajamas, and he has a really cool Mid-Century Modern pad.

I wonder if Della ever got to stay over?

Speaking of pay phones, movies like Pillow Talk and Party Wire, with plots that revolved around sharing a telephone line, aka “party line,” would be irrelevant today. Also, I don’t know if answering services exist any more, but, if they do, there probably aren’t that many. At any rate, Bells Are Ringing is another movie that comes to mind as a film with a plot that you are not likely to see again.

In the last few years, I've been surprised that a number of professional companies still, indeed, use answering services.

Particularly I found that plumbers, electricians and air conditioning repair people use them so that they can come for emergencies and charge you triple time.

• Like 1

In the last few years, I've been surprised that a number of professional companies still, indeed, use answering services.

Particularly I found that plumbers, electricians and air conditioning repair people use them so that they can come for emergencies and charge you triple time.

Those insufferable hosers!

Perry Mason is an extremely busy man yet he will come to aid his clients even after he has gone to bed, or if he's on a dinner date with anyone or on vacation with Della at a seaport.

And for some clients, he doesn't even charge a fee. Why there was one old lady who was a nursemaid, who he only got 25 bucks to help defend her from murder and jewelry robbery in court as I recall.

So true, TB.

In fact they could not probably make "The Graduate" today because the latter plot hinged on Ben having to find a phone to locate the church which Elaine is getting married at, and now he would have his cell phone with him. I was watching last nite and had to laugh at when he leaped out of the sports car and ran into the gas station to use the phone.

Well, Ben's phone might have a dead battery, foreshadowed by a passing line early in the film about how he's negligent about such things. Then have him seek another person's cell phone. This might be done with an undercurrent of comedy, appropriate for a little relief in a tense situation.

So should I be screenwriter? No? I agree.

:D

Princess, I was told on good authority by Tragg that Gertie is the one who always tracks poor old Perry down at the crime scene.

Hey, don't you enjoy when they show Perry at home in his pajamas, and he has a really cool Mid-Century Modern pad.

I wonder if Della ever got to stay over?

You know, I think I've got three or four seasons of that show and I've only seen Gertie a handful of times.

Yes, Perry had a nice modern bachelor pad with cozy pajamas.

The thing I remember about Della--where she was spending the night was - - she would take a female suspect to a hotel and stay with her or she would take the female suspect home to her apartment.

Cave Girl - - the real question is where did Hedda Hopper's son spend the night?

...Perry Mason is an extremely busy man yet he will come to aid his clients even after he has gone to bed, or if he's on a dinner date with anyone or on vacation with Della at a seaport.

Which reminds me...when was the last time a doctor made a house call?

This of course would often be seen in classic films, but I doubt any film made today and not set in the past would have one doing this.

(...a modern audience might be a bit confused or at least think how "quaint" it would be at seeing such a thing, wouldn't ya think)

Just yesterday I was discussing on another site that I SAW WHAT YOU DID must really puzzle Gen Xers who know not of the days of telephone pranks. They must laugh at the lyrics of "Wake Up Little Suzie."

Here's one...

The turn in the plot at the end of the movie BULLITT, and where the villain carries a handgun on board his flight which he later fires at Steve McQueen after fleeing from the aircraft and getting onto the San Francisco Airport's tarmac, taxiways and runways.

(...and because of course, this film takes place during an era before airport security is what it is today, and so the villain could easily board his plane with the weapon)

This of course would often be seen in classic films, but I doubt any film made today and not set in the past would have one doing this.

(...a modern audience might be a bit confused or at least think how "quaint" it would be at seeing such a thing, wouldn't ya think)

I remember a joke in a MAD magazine c. 1980-81 parodying "That's Incredible" in which the incredible thing was the doctor making a house call.  I suspect most people never had access to house calls, but it was common enough among the high middle class that their decline was something to complain about.  I do recall that other people make jokes or comments in the seventies and eighties.

• Like 1

Cave Girl - - the real question is where did Hedda Hopper's son spend the night?

Anywhere and everywhere.  I think Paul Drake's the randiest character ever on TV except maybe Night Court's Dan Fielding.  I got it when the show began but by its end 9 years later both men were pretty long in the tooth. 

Perry was never seen socially with a woman other than Della.  I'm wondering if the show was being true to the character as written in the books. As a kid I scanned a few that were published in Saturday Evening Post-forbidden fruit-and remember him being in some suggestive situations, as he was in some shows, but nothing all out.   

Our family doctor made his last house call to attend to me wayyyy back around 1968, I was fortunate he resided in the same apartment complex as us. 

Anything to do with divorce.

The co- respondents, the "she/he won't give me a divorce". All those plots are obsolete today. 

But, I still love "The Gay Divorcee" !

And of course those touching scenes where the mother has to explain why she is "going away" as if she is banished to never never land. That doesn't happen either.

• Like 2

Here's one...

The turn in the plot at the end of the movie BULLITT, and where the villain carries a handgun on board his flight which he later fires at Steve McQueen after fleeing from the aircraft and getting onto the San Francisco Airport's tarmac, taxiways and runways.

(...and because of course, this film takes place during an era before airport security is what it is today, and so the villain could easily board his plane with the weapon)

In The High And The Mighty the character played by Sidney Blackmer (whose name, IIRC, is "Humphrey Agnew") takes a gun on board the plane, takes it out and brandishes it for while, and finally somebody takes it away from him. Eventually everybody calms down, everything gets sorted out, Humphrey Agnew relaxes in his seat and... The stewardess gives him his gun back.

• Like 2

Anywhere and everywhere. I think Paul Drake's the randiest character ever on TV except maybe Night Court's Dan Fielding. I got it when the show began but by its end 9 years later both men were pretty long in the tooth.

Perry was never seen socially with a woman other than Della. I'm wondering if the show was being true to the character as written in the books. As a kid I scanned a few that were published in Saturday Evening Post-forbidden fruit-and remember him being in some suggestive situations, as he was in some shows, but nothing all out.

Would be--

I used to read the Saturday Evening Post in the early sixties with those cute little covers painted by Norman Rockwell.

For the life of me, I can't remember anything racy in this magazine. However, my mother's McCall's and Ladies Home Journal had a lot of good stuff in it.

Was it really that racy?

In The High And The Mighty the character played by Sidney Blackmer (whose name, IIRC, is "Humphrey Agnew") takes a gun on board the plane, takes it out and brandishes it for while, and finally somebody takes it away from him. Eventually everybody calms down, everything gets sorted out, Humphrey Agnew relaxes in his seat and... The stewardess gives him his gun back.

LOL

She must've been a member of the NRA, eh Doc?!!! ;)

LOL...sorry, couldn't resist

And yeah, in this same vein, how about Van Heflin so easily bringing his bomb-laden briefcase on board that 707 in 1970's AIRPORT.

Approx. three weeks past. 

The grandmother of one of my doctors was originally from: Kiev. He had loving remembrance of the meals which she prepared. I gave him some mushroom and onion vareniki on one of my appointments. We quickly came to an arrangement that he would come to our home for monthly examination if I would prepare some simple dishes for him. It saves me driving nearly an hour to his office and it is but a matter of ten minutes deviation from his course when he is traveling from his office in one city to his office in different city. Examination is perfunctory glance at my wrist which is quickly done and then we eat and talk.  

I made for him: nalysnyky on his last visit and gave him honey cake to take home. 

• Like 3

Approx. three weeks past. 

The grandmother of one of my doctors was originally from: Kiev. He had loving remembrance of the meals which she prepared. I gave him some mushroom and onion vareniki on one of my appointments. We quickly came to an arrangement that he would come to our home for monthly examination if I would prepare some simple dishes for him. It saves me driving nearly an hour to his office and it is but a matter of ten minutes deviation from his course when he is traveling from his office in one city to his office in different city. Examination is perfunctory glance at my wrist which is quickly done and then we eat and talk.  

I made for him: nalysnyky on his last visit and gave him honey cake to take home. 

Well, I can certainly see why the good doctor goes out of his way for you, Sans.

I mean, who could turn down some nice vareniki or nalysnyky???

(...whatever THAT is!)

;)

Humphrey Agnew relaxes in his seat and... The stewardess gives him his gun back.

My insignificant other tells of when he was in high school that there was a time when principal told students to place rifles and shotguns in their lockers during school hours. It was common for them to have weapons in their automobiles so that they could go hunting directly after classes because school was at edge of town and it saved them losing daylight by going home. They were told to bring their weapons into school because some person had broken into several vehicles in the parking lot and stolen weapons. 

It is difficult to imagine many young men carrying high-powered rifles into school with blessing of principal now.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings