Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Ann Morgan Guilbert has died

Barton_Keyes

Actress Ann Morgan Guilbert, best remembered for her role as the neighbor of Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore on the classic 1960s sitcom The Dick Van Dyke Show, has died of cancer. She was 87. 

In addition to her prominent supporting role on The Dick Van Dyke Show, Guilbert has been a fixture of the small screen for several decades. Among the many other television shows on which she appeared are: My Three SonsThe Andy Griffith Show, I Dream of JeannieRoom 222MaudeCheersNewhart, Picket FencesSeinfeldThe Nanny, Curb Your EnthusiasmLaw & Order: Special Victims UnitModern Family and Grey's Anatomy. Guilbert's career really provides a thorough overview of the history of episodic television over the last sixty years.

Though never a frequent presence on the big screen, Guilbert did make a handful of film appearances through the years, including a supporting part in the 1968 comedy HOW SWEET IT IS!, which was directed by her Van Dyke Show husband, Jerry Paris. Guilbert also had a memorable role as the object of Burgess Meredith's affections in GRUMPIER OLD MEN (1993).

USA Today remembers Ann Morgan Guilbert here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/06/15/ann-morgan-guilbert-dick-van-dyke-show-dies/85949242/

• Like 2

Wow! Guilbert really stayed busy as an actress until the end. She had a recurring role on the CBS sitcom "Life in Pieces" as GiGi Pirkle, the elderly mother of Dianne Wiest's character. Her last appearance was in the show's first-season finale on March 31st.

obit-ann-morgan-guilb_king-1.jpg?w=650

Guilbert as GiGi

MILLIE!!!!

Yep! Truly one the greatest "second banana" sitcom roles ever. Right up there with Don Knotts and his Barney Fife.

In fact, I always thought if they ever made a movie called, "The Ghost and MRS. Chicken", Ann would've been perfectly cast in the title role. ;)

(...R.I.P. funny lady)

• Like 2

She was so frail looking on The Nanny that I thought she was closer to 97.  What a great career! 

On another sad note, Ronnie Claire "Corabeth Godsey" Edwards of The Waltons has died at 83.  She provided a much needed dose of vinegar to all that honey, one of those characters we loved to hate. 

I enjoy watching The Dick Van Dyke Show on DVDs.  A great cast!

Just a note on  Mary Tyler Moore's health:  "In 2014 friends reported that Mary Tyler Moore has heart and kidney problems and is nearly blind. In October 2015, Moore's former co-star Dick Van Dyke said on an episode of Larry King Now that Moore was in poor health and unable to communicate." From Wikipedia

Moore will be 80 years old in December.

Wow! Guilbert really stayed busy as an actress until the end. She had a recurring role on the CBS sitcom "Life in Pieces" as GiGi Pirkle, the elderly mother of Dianne Wiest's character. Her last appearance was in the show's first-season finale on March 31st.

obit-ann-morgan-guilb_king-1.jpg?w=650

Guilbert as GiGi

I remember her in Seinfeld as well....

I enjoy watching The Dick Van Dyke Show on DVDs.  A great cast!

Just a note on  Mary Tyler Moore's health:  "In 2014 friends reported that Mary Tyler Moore has heart and kidney problems and is nearly blind. In October 2015, Moore's former co-star Dick Van Dyke said on an episode of Larry King Now that Moore was in poor health and unable to communicate." From Wikipedia

Moore will be 80 years old in December.

That's awful. I know she's been in declining health for years. She did appear in Hot in Cleveland several years ago, but I noticed she didnt move. She sat through the whole scene.

That's awful. I know she's been in declining health for years. She did appear in Hot in Cleveland several years ago, but I noticed she didnt move. She sat through the whole scene.

As you probably know Hibi, Mary has suffered with Type-1 Diabetes for many many years.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings