Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Louise Brooks Birthday

November 14, 1906 was the date of her birth. To commemorate this centennial I would like to suggest a reviewing of Looking for Lulu and some of her work both here and in European films. What films of hers would be of interest to the TCM viewship?

What is "Looking for Lulu"? Do you have a venue for showing her works? I'd recommend Lulu in Berlin, the mid-1980's documentary on Louise Brooks that includes interviews with the star herself. I saw this years ago and found it very interesting. I think the only Louise Brooks movie that I've seen was Die B?chse der Pandora, so I would be interested in seeing anything else of her's, especially Prix de beaut? and Das Tagebuch einer Verlorenen.

Jack,

"Diary of a Lost Girl" and "Prix de beaut?" are available from Kino Video. "Pandora's Box" is available in a European PAL edition, which I have, and will be released on a Criterion 2-disc DVD in the US in November.

"The Show Off" with Ford Sterling is available on a DVD along with Clara Bow's "The Plastic Age." "Overland Stage Raiders" with John Wayne is available on VHS.

Nothing else matches the two Pabst features, but she's always worth looking at.

"Looking for Lulu" is a documentary that's included on my DVD of "Pandora's Box," and will be included on the Criterion release as well.

Yeah, for those interested, the available Louise Brooks video selections have been appropriately noted. Just wanted to echo the sentiments for the Lulu in Berlin documentary from 1985, which is primarily a filmed conversation with Brooks. This is a real treasure to experience, for it is a candid discussion filled with honesty and insight wherein Brooks repeatedly delights the viewer with her frankness and forward-thinking. This 50 minute program would make an excellent companion piece to the bio-documentary Looking for Lulu (1998, 60 minutes) that TCM has aired before. Perhaps Lulu in Berlin will be shown one day, as TCM seems to have an existing relationship with Kino Video.

Additionally, someone here has posted the cover of the book Lulu in Hollywood. This too is a work featuring Brooks in her own words. It is a collection of seven autobiographical essays, displaying the same independence and individuality witnessed in the aforementioned documentary. Here, the subjects range from Gish and Garbo to W.C. Fields and Humphrey Bogart, and directors Pabst and Wellman. There are plenty of photographs included as well.

On a somewhat related note, there is also a wonderful Lillian Gish documentary feature that too is basically a conversation from the 1980?s. Similarly, Gish entertains and educates the viewer with stories about early Hollywood and her magnificent film career. Gish wrote a substantive memoir herself, titled The Movies, Mr. Griffith, and Me. Maybe TCM could obtain this video program as well.

Again, what makes these works so fascinating is that the material comes straight from the source itself. None of this modern-star narrative fluff, and you don?t have to be a silent movie buff to enjoy them. As a point of comparison, they are indeed more direct and informative than the interviews in the series TCM Private Screenings.

It is worth noting, however, that Louise Brooks made several errors in the book Lulu in Hollywood, particularly when she was referring to the careers of other actors. There is even a list of errata in the printing I have!

I recommend the excellent biography of her by Barry Paris.

I've not spent nearly enough time on Louise Brooks - I've seen "Diary of a Lost Girl" and read a bit about her in some of the books about the silent era...but I really need to see more of her stuff.

I will definitely purchase "Pandora's Box" when it is released.

Agreed, the Barry Paris biography Louise Brooks provides a more comprehensive overview. The closing notes section alone is exhaustive ? including the cited Errata, plus a complete listing of both films and articles by Brooks, as well as extensive author?s notes and acknowledgements. In addition, there is a massive index. My previous commentary was focused solely on the ?in their own words? perspective. Glad to hear that the program Lulu in Berlin will indeed be a part of an upcoming video release.