Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HELLO, NURSE!!!

Dargo

(...and with apologies to Messrs Yakko and Wakko Warner for appropriating their tagline as my thread title, I now begin...)

While watching the movie HARVEY again last night for the umpteen time, I began to notice I couldn't take my eyes off of the lovely Peggy Dow, who in her much too short three year career in Hollywood played nurse Ruth Kelly.

tumblr_lbo3tfeOKE1qzsxtao1_500.jpg

Seems the now 88 year old lady's first love wasn't acting, and so she would quit the biz in 1951 to marry a Texas oil man and raise a family of 5 children.

Sure wish she would have chosen to work a few more years in Tinseltown, as I think she not only possessed a very attractive appearance, but also thought her acting in this film was first rate. Not only in her line readings but especially in the manner in which her face just beamed at Jimmy Stewart's whimsical Elwood P. Dowd as he enchanted her with his warm and welcoming likability.

Okay, and now, this thread was NOT started just to extol Miss Dow's virtues, but in hopes others here might offer up some of their own favorite nurses in cinematic history. And so, does anybody else have one in mind?

• Like 4

(...and with apologies to Messrs Yakko and Wakko Warner for appropriating their tagline as my thread title, I now begin...)

While watching the movie HARVEY again last night for the umpteen time, I began to notice I couldn't take my eyes off of the lovely Peggy Dow, who in her much too short three year career in Hollywood played nurse Ruth Kelly.

tumblr_lbo3tfeOKE1qzsxtao1_500.jpg

Seems the now 88 year old lady's first love wasn't acting, and so she would quit the biz in 1951 to marry a Texas oil man and raise a family of 5 children.

Sure wish she would have chosen to work a few more years in Tinseltown, as I think she not only possessed a very attractive appearance, but also thought her acting in this film was first rate. Not only in her line readings but especially in the manner in which her face just beamed at Jimmy Stewart's whimsical Elwood P. Dowd as he enchanted her with his warm and welcoming likability.

Okay, and now, this thread was NOT started just to extol Miss Dow's virtues, but in hopes others here might offer up some of their own favorite nurses in cinematic history. And so, does anybody else have one in mind?

Nurse Ratched from OFOTCN would be the low-hanging fruit.

1226220.jpg

"Medication time."

Yep Lawrence, gotta admit when CUCKOO'S NEST first the screens and I saw it, I thought Louise there was kind'a hot in a "whip and chains" sort'a way!

(...and I think Mr. McMurphy deep down inside kind'a thought that too)

Yep Lawrence, gotta admit when CUCKOO'S NEST first the screens and I saw it, I thought Louise there was kind'a hot in a "whip and chains" sort'a way!

(...and I think Mr. McMurphy deep down inside kind'a thought that too)

Whatta ya mean"Yep, Lawrence"? Yep, DGF.

Whatta ya mean"Yep, Lawrence"? Yep, DGF.

Lawrence evidently beat ya to Nurse Ratched by a split second in posting about her, DGF.

(...and so because I used his picture to reply to, that's why I referenced his response)

DGF  needs  Nurse Ratched - whom I always refer to as "Nurse Ratchet"

Yeah Kid, but then again I DO understand a "nurse ratchet" is often required to work on a nurse diesel...

cloris_leachman_high_anxiety.gif

(...and if you lose your nurse ratchet, you won't get any fruit cup!)

• Like 1

Lawrence evidently beat ya to Nurse Ratched by a split second in posting about her, DGF.

(...and so because I used his picture to reply to, that's why I referenced his response)

My time indicators show that Lawrence and DGF posted at the same time (10:14am Pacific) and therefore I call for an investigation on the action taken by Dargo in answering one instead of both. Dargo, you won't need a lawyer, this is simply a Congressional investigation, which of course means nothing. I can see CNN getting involved with this. Dargo will be interviewed with Lawrence and DGF on the telephone. Lawrence can talk movie reviews and DGF can offer his inimitable pithy remarks on just about anything. I can't wait. We need a fresh breaking news story and no doubt this will trend well.

;)

==

• Like 2

Trump needs to tweet about this...

Naaah, not really, Hibi.

Remember here, this thread is about "nurses", and what THAT guy needs is a good DOCTOR who specialized in the field of Psychiatric health care. 

And of course, in my opinion so does anybody who buys into what he's sayin', and which usually seems to specifically encompass the branch of this practice concerned with issues of Paranoia.

;)

(...but enough about that...and him)

Thelma Ritter as: Nurse Stella in: Rear Window (1954)

Elsa Lanchester as: Miss Plimsoll in: Witness for the Prosecution (1957)

Mary Wickes as: Miss Preen in: The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942)

Sally Kellerman as: Major Margaret 'Hot Lips' O'Houlihan in: M*A*S*H (1970)

• Like 5

I was just thinkin' here(and while the following thought might better be placed within CaveGirl's "Obsolete" thread) how come nurses today don't wear those folded little caps anymore?

(...'cause of course, this dates any movie which shows 'em wearin' those things)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings