Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

More 'Shirley Temple' films, please!!!!

I don't know if you are in the U.S. or not, but alot of her films are coming out on DVD now, so you could watch them any time you like!

They are coming out in a series of boxed sets - I think at least 3 of the sets are out, and another is on the way, if it isn't already out as well.

her earlier films seem to appear more frequently on FMC than on TCM, so maybe Fox has the rights to them. all of her movies, with the exception of a few of her 1940's teen movies, have been widely available on video for ages. although the B/W films have been colorized on all of the VHS releases i've seen.

It's funny you should say that, Sam, because there is this one shot in one of her movies--I think it might be Curly Top, but I'm not sure--that has always disturbed me. The camera lingers a bit longer than it needs to on Shirley's little posterior (I think she is rolling herself over a beach ball or something in the scene). I've always been suspicious of someone along the line (cameraman? director? editor?) but maybe I am making too much of it, and nothing of the sort was ever intended...

Anyone able to offer an editorial for a DVD set currently advertised on tv, the Shirley Temple Storybook Collection?

Not being that aware of Shirley Temple outside the famous kid/teenage films (and some knowledge of her involvement in politics), I had never heard of this show before. Although the actual original show title seemed unclear, from what I could gather this was some type of (primetime?) family/children?s program, hosted by the adult Shirley and with special celebrity guest stars. Did she just host and introduce the scenes or did she participate? Are these six shows the only episodes? Would this show be considered similar in nature, and thus a precursor, to the much later popular Shelley Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre series??

Here?s the website text:

Shirley Temple Storybook Collection ? Six shows from Shirley?s television show on three DVDs.

The Princess and the Goblins, Madeline, Pippi Longstocking, Kim, Winnie The Pooh, and Babes in Toyland.

Available for the first time ever and newly restored. Classic tales written for children and will entertain the whole family!

Plus FREE DVD with paid order:

Shirley Temple Storybook Collection: Early Years ? 7 rare short films from Shirley Temple?s first performances.

Also: Regarding those new DVD sets of her child films, I believe the packaging indicates that both colorized and remastered black-and-white versions of each are included.

> Anyone able to offer an editorial for a DVD set

> currently advertised on tv, the Shirley Temple

> Storybook Collection?

>

> Not being that aware of Shirley Temple outside the

> famous kid/teenage films (and some knowledge of her

> involvement in politics), I had never heard of this

> show before. Although the actual original show title

> seemed unclear, from what I could gather this was

> some type of (primetime?) family/children?s program,

> hosted by the adult Shirley and with special

> celebrity guest stars. Did she just host and

> introduce the scenes or did she participate? Are

> these six shows the only episodes? Would this show

> be considered similar in nature, and thus a

> precursor, to the much later popular Shelley

> Duvall Faerie Tale Theatre series??

>

> Here?s the website text:

>

> Shirley Temple Storybook Collection ? Six

> shows from Shirley?s television show on three DVDs.

> The Princess and the Goblins, Madeline, Pippi

> Longstocking, Kim, Winnie The Pooh, and Babes in

> Toyland.

> Available for the first time ever and newly restored.

> Classic tales written for children and will entertain

> the whole family!

>

> Plus FREE DVD with paid order:

> Shirley Temple Storybook Collection: Early

> Years ? 7 rare short films from Shirley Temple?s

> first performances.

>

>

>

>

> Also: Regarding those new DVD sets of her child

> films, I believe the packaging indicates that both

> colorized and remastered black-and-white versions of

> each are included.

Shirley just introduced the films, that's the way I remember it.

I believe these television shows were done in the late 1950's to early 1960's. She would come out to introduce the story, but was rarely in any of them. She was in some, but I don't think she was in a majority of them. She was in the Babes in Toyland episode, however.

I saw an advertisement for this set the other night, and was curious for the early works DVD; but recoiled at the colorized look of it. I hoped it was just the still that they showed, but your message confirms that they have indeed been colorized. What a shame...

• 12 years later...

For years the film Carolina (1934), in which Shirley Temple appears (but apparently does not speak) was considered lost, but it has emerged that at least two prints exist but have been suppressed for reasons of Political Correctness and everyone basically being offended by pretty much everything nowadays.

Can this film please be restored and preserved for posterity?  Air it late at night or with disclaimers or both if certain snowflakes can't stand it.  It was during this film that Shirley met Delmar Watson who she personally chose to play Peter in Heidi (1937).  Robert Young claimed that it was during Carolina, not The Little Colonel, that Lionel Barrymore became so furious with Shirley that Young feared for her life, and it was he who grabbed her, quite possibly rescuing her from a violent fate.  I personally would be very interested to see this film and if some scenes prove cringeworthy so be it.

If the whole film cannot be shown for some reason, could not Shirley's scenes appear in some special presentation?  Thank you.

On 10/3/2006 at 2:15 AM, SamTherapy said:

[nobr]She was such a cutey![/nobr]

And - NO - I'm not coming from a Republican Mark Foley standpoint!

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]

Though she was extremely cute and talented, sometimes when she would amble out to sing she would remind me of Merv Griffin singing "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Cocoanuts". She and Bojangles did make a nice team though and also I love seeing Slim Summerville in anything.

Great idea.  I would love to see all the Shirley Temple films sometime.  As well as get and own the Shirley Temple collection from that Time Life TV offer.  Anyone remember that and I also remember when they had Shirley Temple as star of the month a few summers ago in July.  It was fantastic.  I think I saw some of her movies then.  But not all of them.  I don’t think.  They’re fantastic.  Aren’t they?  You definitely have got my vote for the Shirley Temple films.

Ayresorchid, you are echoing the thoughts of British writer Grahame Greene in his 1937 review of Wee Willie Winkie

her neat and well-developed **** twisted in the tap-dance: her eyes had a sidelong searching coquetry. Now in Wee Willie Winkie, wearing short kilts, she is a complete totsy.

The censored word starts with an r and ends with ump. Greene was widely criticized at the time for daring to suggest that Shirley Temple's movies might appeal to pedophiles. But I think he had a point.

Have never really liked movies featuring children with the exception of some Christmas movies.

I especially dislike all of the Shirley Temple movies.  Although The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer is fairly good, but that is really a Cary Grant and Myrna Loy movie and Temple's role is primarily as a catalyst.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I first watched her films in 1978 when PBS had the "Shirley Temple Theatre" every Saturday.  Unedited and original  - all were shown, nothing not PC left out.  16mm was the format.

Strange people think she was "discovered" in "Stand Up And Cheer", the otherwise 1934 turkey (zzzz she woke the patrons up!) appeared in "The Frolic of Youth" shorts as Sonny Coghlan's bratty kid sister.  She was portrayed as a normal kid.

46c1552716abbc6ab40ec416f544e4e3--shirle

She did the "Who's buried in Grants Tomb" trick question on the school teacher (Andy Clyde) in "Dora's Dunkin Donuts" (1933) :lol:

rlwELDwWhZK3g_4sAqs8FbkMgjg_Dora's%20Dun

e5e5ffbe99bec2d7d0e38eaba28288e7.png