Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WHAT'S UP, DOC!

CaveGirl

Being that I never like seeing a doctor, my favorite one in films is Doctor Wayne Phillips from "Magnificent Obsession".

Anyone who has seen the film will understand why I choose him.

Spoilers Ahead!

Now actually, instead of croaking as the movie implied, he lived on to be seen in a tv series called "Doctor Hudson's Secret Journal" wherein he evaded having to go back to Jane Wyman and his boring life with defibrillators in the home, and started a new career doing good with no recognition, just by instituting the name change and not telling the AMA.

Plus, he was kind of good looking which we never knew from the previous film.

Who's your favorite medic in movies?

What did you think of the Chamberlain/Massey teaming?

Raymond Massey has always been a favorite actor of mine. He and Chamberlain were good, but I never had the series pegged as a favorite. Having to draw out the plots to fill space when moving from film to television has never been an attraction for me.

Joel McCrea was Dr. Kildare - though I cannot remember the last time I saw that film.

Vincent Price as The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971), and its' sequel.

Robert Mitchum and Frank Sinatra as doctors in "Not As A Stranger" (1955).

Richard Widmark in "The Cobweb" (1955).  He's an island of sanity in a sea of Hysteria, caused by--changing a pair of drapes.

Ingrid Bergman's psychiatrist in "Spellbound" (1945).

Ryan O'Neal is a Professor of Music in this film, not a medical doctor, but I have to mention "What's Up, Doc?" (1972).

Being that I never like seeing a doctor, my favorite one in films is Doctor Wayne Phillips from "Magnificent Obsession".

Anyone who has seen the film will understand why I choose him.

Spoilers Ahead!

Now actually, instead of croaking as the movie implied, he lived on to be seen in a tv series called "Doctor Hudson's Secret Journal" wherein he evaded having to go back to Jane Wyman and his boring life with defibrillators in the home, and started a new career doing good with no recognition, just by instituting the name change and not telling the AMA.

Plus, he was kind of good looking which we never knew from the previous film.

Who's your favorite medic in movies?

Warren William in BEDSIDE, who practiced medicine without a medical degree. I knew a guy like that in real lfe.

Bra

Vincent Price as The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971), and its' sequel.

Robert Mitchum and Frank Sinatra as doctors in "Not As A Stranger" (1955).

Richard Widmark in "The Cobweb" (1955).  He's an island of sanity in a sea of Hysteria, caused by--changing a pair of drapes.

Ingrid Bergman's psychiatrist in "Spellbound" (1945).

Ryan O'Neal is a Professor of Music in this film, not a medical doctor, but I have to mention "What's Up, Doc?" (1972).

Bravo, FL for all those excellent choices but since you have the one Mitchum picture, how could you forget his turn as the doc in "Where Danger Lives" with Faith Domergue?

He might have made it through medical school, but in the school about females Mitchum woulda flunked!

• Like 1

Warren William in BEDSIDE, who practiced medicine without a medical degree. I knew a guy like that in real lfe.

Some men practice a bedside manner that is without diagnosis, with no degree also.

Thanks, Down I've never seen that William flick but will look for it.

Reminds me of "The Great Impostor" film with Tony Curtis.

Jeff Cory gives an excellent performance in 1949's HOME OF THE BRAVE as a military psychiatrist helping soldier James Edwards(who is also excellent) overcome his survivor's guilt which has resulted in a mentally-induced paralysis of his legs ...

Corey-Home-of-the-Brave.jpg

Bra

Bravo, FL for all those excellent choices but since you have the one Mitchum picture, how could you forget his turn as the doc in "Where Danger Lives" with Faith Domergue?

He might have made it through medical school, but in the school about females Mitchum woulda flunked!

My personal fave Dr Bob: My Forbidden Past, where Mitch is a Tulane professor and research chemist.

CdVHqo3.jpg

• Like 1

Actually CG, I was always of the mind that Mitchum would have passed with flying colors such a "school about females", because what usually makes his performances so great when he falls for one of the more treacherous kind, is that he KNOWS they're not going to be "good for his health" but still goes along for the ride anyway.

(...and so, in this metaphor of yours, perhaps it could be said that he had gained his diploma, but after graduating he tore it up because he thought it was useless and wouldn't pertain to him personally)

• Like 1

There are many portrayals of doctors by great actors that make me wish I could find a real-life doc just like the movie docs, e.g. Edward G. Robinson in ,"The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse", or Sidney Poitier in, "No Way Out", or how about Gregory Peck in, "Captain Newman, M.D." But the doc who makes me want to be sick for a VERY long time just so's I could remain under his care would be Cary Grant, who played a doctor in several films- Dr. Maurice Lamar in ,"Kiss and make Up", Dr. David Huxley in, "Bringing Up Baby", Dr. Madison W. Brown in, "Every Girl Should Be Married", Dr. Eugene Ferguson in ,"Crisis", Dr. Noah Praetorius in, "People Will Talk", and  Dr. Barnaby Fulton in, "Monkey Business". Of course in "...Baby" and "Monkey Business" he is technically a PhD- doc, but a doc, nonetheless! Bye-the-by, for anyone who hasn't seen "Monkey Business" in which his co-star is the GREAT Ginger Rogers, it is a MUST SEE! These two play off each other perfectly- they are each fantastic in both  drama and comedy, and in this the two of them are at their comedic best.

• Like 1

Some men practice a bedside manner that is without diagnosis, with no degree also.

Thanks, Down I've never seen that William flick but will look for it.

Reminds me of "The Great Impostor" film with Tony Curtis.

Also, the doctor played by Kent Smith in NORA PRENTISS, who falls into the morass after meeting Sheridan.

So many favorite doctors in movies, but I have a particular fondness for Etienne Girardot as Dr. Doremus in three of the Philo Vance movies.  He played the exasperated coroner, who was always getting called away from his meals by Philo Vance to examine a body.

Philo Vance: [as Doremus takes a sandwich out of his bag] My dear doctor, what is that? 

Dr. Doremus: My dinner. 

District Attorney Markham: You're not going to eat in here? 

Dr. Doremus: Why not? For fourteen years you've called me from my soup to look at some dissipated cadaver. From now on, I'll eat with some corpse. 

Sergeant Ernest Heath: Don't forget, Doc, Christmas dinner at the morgue. 

Dr. Doremus: [Deadpan] I hope to see you there.

Etienne-Girardot.jpg

• Like 1

There's a lot of good movie doctors, and I've a hard time playing favorites here.  But also for fun, I'll just list-----

WILLIAM POWELL'S "Doc" in MR. ROBERTS

GROUCHO'S DR. HACKENBUSH

But although RICHARD CHAMBERLAIN'S  DR. KILDARE was mentioned( with RAYMOND MASSEY as Gillespie)  No mention of TV's VINCE EDWARDS as BEN CASEY?  and the always marvelous SAM JAFFE as DR. ZORBA?  (shows Anthony Quinn ain't the ONLY one who can play a Greek!)

It was my main introduction to JAFFE, whom I wound up having a lifelong  fondness for. 

Sepiatone

There's a lot of good movie doctors, and I've a hard time playing favorites here.  But also for fun, I'll just list-----

WILLIAM POWELL'S "Doc" in MR. ROBERTS

GROUCHO'S DR. HACKENBUSH

But although RICHARD CHAMBERLAIN'S  DR. KILDARE was mentioned( with RAYMOND MASSEY as Gillespie)  No mention of TV's VINCE EDWARDS as BEN CASEY?  and the always marvelous SAM JAFFE as DR. ZORBA?  (shows Anthony Quinn ain't the ONLY one who can play a Greek!)

It was my main introduction to JAFFE, whom I wound up having a lifelong  fondness for. 

Sepiatone

Powell in MR.  ROBERTS is probably my least favorite movie doctor.

There are many portrayals of doctors by great actors that make me wish I could find a real-life doc just like the movie docs, e.g. Edward G. Robinson in ,"The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse", or Sidney Poitier in, "No Way Out", or how about Gregory Peck in, "Captain Newman, M.D." But the doc who makes me want to be sick for a VERY long time just so's I could remain under his care would be Cary Grant, who played a doctor in several films- Dr. Maurice Lamar in ,"Kiss and make Up", Dr. David Huxley in, "Bringing Up Baby", Dr. Madison W. Brown in, "Every Girl Should Be Married", Dr. Eugene Ferguson in ,"Crisis", Dr. Noah Praetorius in, "People Will Talk", and  Dr. Barnaby Fulton in, "Monkey Business". Of course in "...Baby" and "Monkey Business" he is technically a PhD- doc, but a doc, nonetheless! Bye-the-by, for anyone who hasn't seen "Monkey Business" in which his co-star is the GREAT Ginger Rogers, it is a MUST SEE! These two play off each other perfectly- they are each fantastic in both  drama and comedy, and in this the two of them are at their comedic best.

Hey, Osfan, thanks for a great line-up!

Your mention of Doctor Praetorius in "PWT" reminded me of my most favorite doctor of all time, in films.

Ernest Thesiger as Doctor Pretorius in "The Bride of Frankenstein".

The way he casually treats the monster, and offers him a cigar is so wonderful to see.

Is the Barbra Streisand movie airing on TCM again soon?

6f94412622c4963bf6d792f2e8b0b5e3.jpg

I dunno, Holden.

I only go two days forward on the schedule, in case fate intervenes and I don't make it to the weekend.

Just like the movie, "Weekend" in a strange way.

Thanks!

How about the Crime Doctor;

Columbia Pictures Corporation made a series of 10 low-budget "Crime Doctor" mysteries from 1943 through 1949.  In them, Dr. Robert Ordway was played exclusively by Warner Baxter.

These are low budget films and Baxter had health issues and his playing of the role was a little flat,  but I still find the films enjoyable due to the cool 40s settings and 'who done it' plots.

Get-TV showed all of the films in the last view months.  

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings