Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why can`t TCM show the rarely seen stuff?

skowfonce

There are tons of sci-fi + horror movies that cable and independent stations have been ignoring for decades now....and I for one am sick of it! I do not exist to financially subsidize the DVD sales market. Ted Turner is a rich man so why should TCM care whether they weaken DVD sales? When is SOMEBODY FINALLY going to break out and show what we have been waiting for for so long. The forgotten classics: It`s halloween time. Why isn`t TCM showing the K. Gordon Murray mexican horror classics like THE BRAINIAC, THE BLOODY VAMPIRE, INVASION OF THE VAMPIRES, THE VAMPIRE`S COFFIN, THE LIVING HEAD, Mario Bava`s CALTIKI, THE IMMORTAL MONSTER, THE HIDEOUS SUN DEMON, BLACK PIT OF DR. M and so many, many others to numerous to be named. C`mon TCM, wake up!

When is SOMEBODY

> FINALLY going to break out and show what we have been

> waiting for for so long. The forgotten classics:

> It`s halloween time. Why isn`t TCM showing the K.

> Gordon Murray mexican horror classics like THE

> BRAINIAC, THE BLOODY VAMPIRE, INVASION OF THE

> VAMPIRES, THE VAMPIRE`S COFFIN, THE LIVING HEAD,

> Mario Bava`s CALTIKI, THE IMMORTAL MONSTER, THE

> HIDEOUS SUN DEMON, BLACK PIT OF DR. M and so many,

> many others to numerous to be named. C`mon TCM, wake

> up!

"We"? Speak for yourself. I don't care to see any of that crap.

> In the style of Mr. Coffee:

>

> Who are you to appoint yourself judge and jury on

> what is "classic" and what is "crap"? Have you ever

> heard that "one man's junk is another man's

> treasure"?

>

> That's not 'sarcasm', little Mr. Ranger, that's

> 'irony'.

Oh my God, you're tiresome. Now who's following who, like your little buddy Sweetbaby was implying I was doing? For your information, I wasn't appointing myself anything. I was commenting on this dude implying that everybody is waiting with baited breath for these films. I was just telling him to speak for himself. Now mind your own business and stop following me.

I forgot to say welcome to the TCM Message board this morning skowfonce so I am doing it now. October is the month for TCM to show Horror and Sci-Fi and for me they are doing a better job at it this year than they did last year. There are some interesting flicks this month to enjoy even if some of your favorites are missing. So welcome again and your opinions and suggestions are always welcome and well worth posting.

Allie

amen. what's this with playing films three times in one month? even if not everyone is "waiting with bated breath" for these films, must we really be subjected to going my way (which is an excellent film, by the way) three times in two months? or casablanca again and again? i love the people pleasers, don't get me wrong; but i find myself thinking how many films do they really have to show?. but here listed were some wonderful films rarely listed on tcm, and many more are left un noted.

i wanna see more of my dearly loved peter lorre.

PeterLorre.jpg

> Hey tex, I`ll pit my 40+ years of television and

> movie viewing against anybody`s. That kind of

> experience well enables me to know the good from the

> crap.

Oh no, not another person who thinks their opinion is fact! I don't care how long you've been watching anything, I'll form my own opinions about what is good and what is crap for me, thank you.

and I say that your disregarding someone`s 40+ years of viewing says something too. I don`t wish to brag but between the very early sixties to the late seventies I watched many thousands of hours of television. sci-fi/horror movies, TV shows, you name it, I watched it. I don`t claim to have seen everything but in those years much, much more than the average person during that era of television. You don`t feel those few movies I mentioned are good? Then what were YOU weaned on? 70s, 80s and 90s manure?

I would love to see any rare old movies.

Bring them on, TCM~!!

As for buying the DVD's, I am so grateful for

"Commercial Free" classics that I buy

all my DVD's from TCM.

I give movies for Christmas, birthdays,

and all occasions.

(Got a whopper of a list to order for

this coming Christmas, in fact.)

I would hate it if TCM went the route of

AMC with all the commercials and the

"newer" movies every other channel is

showing.

:-)

I have a tidbit of information for all the people who want to see those horror 'classic' movies listed below. Why don't you join the Sci-Fi stations' message board and request them there? I'm being 100% serious, not sarcastic or smart-****. They just cancelled Stargate-SG1, and the fans are in an uproar. Nine out of ten fans have stated they will no longer watch the channel, and I am definitely one of them. As a loyal 10 year fan of SG1, I am disgusted with the channel. I will never again watch it, just as I swore never to watch AMC when it went commercial, and I never have yet. But, the channel is going to be scrambling to find a new fan base, and I'm sure your suggestions would be considered. It's worth a try. Unfortunately the majority of fans of classic movies do not see anything 'classic' about horror films. That is the unvarnished truth, although I'm sure many of you will disagree with me, but remember, I said majority. We want the sweet love storys, war movies, and screwball comedies we are used to. We don't want horror, introduced by a human horror, ( starting with R. and ending with e).

> off the subject and wait a minute... i didn't know

> AMC went commercial. that's news to me, i guess i

> haven't watched it in so long. does anyone know about

> when this happened - a while back or no?

AMC must have had commercials for about - 5 years, or so it seems. With commercial the quality of the AMC product went down. For a while they had a terrible host. I don't remember his name. but his knowledge of films was non - existent

I only used AMC as an example of a channel I no longer watch, in regard to swearing off of the Sci-Fi channel. by cancelling their biggest show, they have angered lord knows how many fans. I never missed an episode in 10 years, I have posted on their message board for years, whenever I could get on my son-in-laws' computer, and I voted on their various polls. Now they have the nerve to cancel the show that put them on the map. Therefore, as I have never returned to AMC, I will never return to Sci-Fi.

Unfortunately the majority of fans of

> classic movies do not see anything 'classic' about

> horror films. That is the unvarnished truth,

> although I'm sure many of you will disagree with me,

> but remember, I said majority. We want the sweet

> love storys, war movies, and screwball comedies we

> are used to. We don't want horror, introduced by a

> human horror, ( starting with R. and ending with e).

Heidi, I totally agree with you there. I don't think horror or sci-fi has much of a place on TCM. I look on TCM as a comforting place to escape modern reality for a while.

Brad

I don't know if you work or not Brad, but if you do, I'm sorry you missed todays tribute to Kay Francis, what a great day for classic movie watching.

I'm a Sci-Fi fan, loved Star Trek and all of its spin offs, the original 3 Star Wars, Close Encounters, etc. and as I said, I NEVER missed an episode of Stargate, including when it started on Showtime back about 12 years ago. But Sci-fi does not belong on TCM. I don't mind a few like The Day the Earth Stood Still, because that is a classic in that it was the first to deal with nuclear powers in a problematic way, which as they predicted, has come to be. Also, to me, the story behind the radio broadcast of War of the Worlds makes the movie a classic, as well as a spectacular event like Close Encounters. But Creature from the Black Lagoon, Godzilla, Mothra, etc. are all cheap imitators of King Kong, and only considered classic from the chronological point of view.

We all know today, that if the earth stood still for 30 minutes, mountains would crumble, planets would collide, and seas would overflow, etc. but in its day, it was a warning and people could imagine the terror if all electricity stopped. Equally monsters have not been created by atomic bomb explosions, which is probably why the new War of the Worlds did not go over as well as expected. Encounters, however, gave us a glimpse of what might be. Yet, everyone experiences love, love affairs, temptation to do wrong, divorce, and we've all done screwball things after imbibing a wee bit too much. So the classic 30's and 40's movies are at least possible, and could be reminiscent of our own lives.

Everyone knows I dislike foreign movies, and so on Ingmar Bergman night, I'll have to find something to do. In fact it was one of his movies that my first husband had to wake me up because I was snoring so loudly in the theater and he was embarrassed. So personally I don't care if we don't see rarely seen stuff, but nobody can complain about the upcoming 3 months, there are movies listed that I never heard of in 10 years of watching, so those of you who are reaching into the netherlands to find 'rare' stuff, set your recorders accordingly.

I don't know if you work or not Brad, but if you do, I'm sorry you missed todays tribute to Kay Francis, what a great day for classic movie watching.

I'm a Sci-Fi fan, loved Star Trek and all of its spin offs, the original 3 Star Wars, Close Encounters, etc. and as I said, I NEVER missed an episode of Stargate, including when it started on Showtime back about 12 years ago. But Sci-fi does not belong on TCM. I don't mind a few like The Day the Earth Stood Still, because that is a classic in that it was the first to deal with nuclear powers in a problematic way, which as they predicted, has come to be. Also, to me, the story behind the radio broadcast of War of the Worlds makes the movie a classic, as well as a spectacular event like Close Encounters. But Creature from the Black Lagoon, Godzilla, Mothra, etc. are all cheap imitators of King Kong, and only considered classic from the chronological point of view.

We all know today, that if the earth stood still for 30 minutes, mountains would crumble, planets would collide, and seas would overflow, etc. but in its day, it was a warning and people could imagine the terror if all electricity stopped. Equally monsters have not been created by atomic bomb explosions, which is probably why the new War of the Worlds did not go over as well as expected. Encounters, however, gave us a glimpse of what might be. Yet, everyone experiences love, love affairs, temptation to do wrong, divorce, and we've all done screwball things after imbibing a wee bit too much. So the classic 30's and 40's movies are at least possible, and could be reminiscent of our own lives.

Everyone knows I dislike foreign movies, and so on Ingmar Bergman night, I'll have to find something to do. In fact it was one of his movies that my first husband had to wake me up because I was snoring so loudly in the theater and he was embarrassed. So personally I don't care if we don't see rarely seen stuff, but nobody can complain about the upcoming 3 months, there are movies listed that I never heard of in 10 years of watching, so those of you who are reaching into the netherlands to find 'rare' stuff, set your recorders accordingly.

Message was edited by: Sorry, don't know why it printed twice

heidigunn

Archived