Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

June Treasures From The Disney Vault

On June 28, Treasures From The Disney Vault returns to TCM with a wonderful line-up of live action and animated films.

The evening kicks off with The Parent Trap (1961), starring Hayley Mills as the twin daughters of divorced parents (played by Maureen O'Hara and Brian Keith). Separated since infancy (one was raised by their mother in Massachusetts, the other by the their father in California), the girls are reunited 14 years later when they wind up at the same summer camp and decide to try to reunite their mom and dad. English Hayley Mills plays two American girls from opposite coasts here. As an adult she would play American junior high school teacher Miss Bliss on the Disney Channel series Good Morning, Miss Bliss, which would later be re-formatted into the popular Saved By The Bell series, set in high school without the Miss Bliss character.

Parent-trap_3099587c.jpg

Some great animated shorts from the 1930s are also scheduled to air.
Three of the cartoons feature Mickey Mouse: The Band Concert (the first color Mickey Mouse film), Thru The Mirror and Clock Cleaners.
The Band Concert is a lot of fun, especially the way Donald Duck annoys Mickey as he tries to conduct a concert in the park.
The non-Mickey shorts on the schedule are Flowers and Trees, Old King Cole and The Pied Piper.
Flowers and Trees (1932) was the first three-strip Technicolor film to be commercially released.
Old King Cole is one of my favorite Disney shorts and features characters from different stories and nursery rhymes leaving their books and interacting with each other and singing and dancing at Old King Cole's party.

11058150_2.jpg?v=8CE2E323162F530
Silly_symphony.jpg

kingcole.jpg

Also on the schedule is the documentary Waking Sleeping Beauty about the Disney Renaissance, which lasted from 1989 to 1999. This period saw a revitalization of Disney feature animation beginning with The Little Mermaid and continuing with Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King
The documentary had a limited theatrical release in 2010 after its debut at the 2009 Telluride Film festival.

d.hahn.07.jpg

In the overnight hours, TCM is airing Hot Lead and Cold Feet, a live action feature from 1978 starring Don Knotts as well as a pre-Touchstone Disney feature aimed primarily for an adult audience, Trenchcoat from 1983. Disney would launch the Touchstone label in 1984.
  • Like 4

I am mainly interested in seeing and recording "Waking Sleeping Beauty" on the next "Treasures From the Disney Vault" since I had never seen all of it before (besides a few still pictures of it).

Three of the cartoons feature Mickey Mouse: The Band Concert (the first color Mickey Mouse film)

I believe you meant the first one to be made with colors other than black and white.

On June 28, Treasures From The Disney Vault returns to TCM with a wonderful line-up of live action and animated films.

The evening kicks off with The Parent Trap (1961), starring Hayley Mills as the twin daughters of divorced parents (played by Maureen O'Hara and Brian Keith). Separated since infancy (one was raised by their mother in Massachusetts, the other by the their father in California), the girls are reunited 14 years later when they wind up at the same summer camp and decide to try to reunite their mom and dad. English Hayley Mills plays two American girls from opposite coasts here. As an adult she would play American junior high school teacher Miss Bliss on the Disney Channel series Good Morning, Miss Bliss, which would later be re-formatted into the popular Saved By The Bell series, set in high school without the Miss Bliss character.

I've never seen THE PARENT TRAP so I am looking forward to this one.

I'm curious to hear a young Hayley Mills speaking with an American accent.

I've seen TROUBLE WITH ANGELS where she speaks with her own English accent.

Her American accent as Miss Bliss is pretty good, but it definitely has a lilting quality.

In syndication (and on Netflix) GOOD MORNING BLISS was re-packaged as "Season 1" of SAVED BY THE BELL. Some of the episodes even have an opening by Mark-Paul Gosselaar (in character as Zack Morris) explaining that we're about to see a story from his "junior high days."

I've never seen THE PARENT TRAP so I am looking forward to this one.

I'm curious to hear a young Hayley Mills speaking with an American accent.

I've seen TROUBLE WITH ANGELS where she speaks with her own English accent.

Her American accent as Miss Bliss is pretty good, but it definitely has a lilting quality.

In syndication (and on Netflix) GOOD MORNING BLISS was re-packaged as "Season 1" of SAVED BY THE BELL. Some of the episodes even have an opening by Mark-Paul Gosselaar (in character as Zack Morris) explaining that we're about to see a story from his "junior high days."

Omg! I love The Parent Trap!! It's way better than the remake with Lindsay Lohan. In the original, Hayley Mills still kind of has her accent. She tries to speak with an American one (to contrast from her upper crust Boston twin), but it comes and goes. Her accent is obvious especially when she has scenes with Brian Keith. Maureen O'Hara is excellent, especially when she makes it to California.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

I'm so watching all of these! The old Disney movies were the best. The original "Parent Trap" is a favorite..with gorgeous MO. I never like the remakes..they seem so forced & cynical. Growing up in the '60s everybody tuned into "Disney's wonderful world of color"..a family time. And, I don't care what anybody says..the old hand drawn super-detailed, fluid-like cartoons are superior to the soul-less chaotic computer animation now.

Omg! I love The Parent Trap!! It's way better than the remake with Lindsay Lohan. In the original, Hayley Mills still kind of has her accent. She tries to speak with an American one (to contrast from her upper crust Boston twin), but it comes and goes. Her accent is obvious especially when she has scenes with Brian Keith. Maureen O'Hara is excellent, especially when she makes it to California.

Enjoy!

In the version of THE PARENT TRAP with Lindsay Lohan as the twins I think one of the girls was English and the other one was American. 

In the version of THE PARENT TRAP with Lindsay Lohan as the twins I think one of the girls was English and the other one was American.

Yes. In the original, one twin is from the upper crust of Boston society (which I guess can account for Mills and O'Hara's accents) and the other twin lives on a ranch in Monterey, CA. Mills tries to have an American accent for this character, but it doesn't quite match Brian Keith's natural accent.

Nonetheless, regardless of which accents are used or aren't used, it's still an entertaining movie. It has kind of an ambiguous ending though.

The Parent Trap was the movie where Maureen O'Hara scoffed at Disney's initial salary offer, below her then going rate and said something along the lines she'd rather sell shoes at Saks Fifth Avenue than work for that fee.  Later, there was a huge battle about billing: O'Hara's contract required top billing, but it went to Hayley Mills.  She blamed Disney, not Hayley.  Both Disney and Maureen vowed to never work together again.

Does anyone find the premise of "The Parent Trap" disturbing?  An estranged couple who dislike each other so much that not only do they forbid their daughters see each other, but they also HIDE from their daughters the EXISTENCE of one another??  Boy, talk about the DEPTH of their hatred for one another.  Of course, the movie needs this "secret" to achieve its "comedic" purpose.  But is that really comedy??  The more you think about it, the more it's not.

Does anyone find the premise of "The Parent Trap" disturbing?  An estranged couple who dislike each other so much that not only do they forbid their daughters see each other, but they also HIDE from their daughters the EXISTENCE of one another??  Boy, talk about the DEPTH of their hatred for one another.  Of course, the movie needs this "secret" to achieve its "comedic" purpose.  But is that really comedy??  The more you think about it, the more it's not.

I never took it that the parents hated each other. I figured that they got together, married and over the duration of their marriage decided they were incompatible. The twins I imagine were probably newborns so each parent took one. Maybe that was the custody arrangement they agreed on? As to why the other twin didn't know about the other, that's unfortunate. I think the scenes in the latter part of the film, especially at the end when they return from the camping trip, show that the parents still had a "thing" for each other.

You have a point;   Maybe the screenwriters should have done something like what was done in The Awful Truth;  used twin dogs instead!

I think THE PARENT TRAP is one of Disney's best live-action features.  It has a great two-tiered script with slapstick and adolescent humor for the kids and plenty of whimsy for the adults.  The sentiment is genuine and not saccharine and the veterans in the cast give it plenty of gravitas.  I used to take this up to my daughter's summer camp and it was always a big, big hit.

PARENT TRAP also has one of our family's favorite catch lines - "Get me outta this stinkin' fresh air!"

The picture was a monster hit for Disney, earning almost 30 million in worldwide rentals.

As for the vault series, I don' t know if TCM is running it, but if they schedule THOSE CALLOWAYS be sure and check it out.  It's a lesser-known feature with a really nice Max Steiner score.

Maureen O'Hara reluctantly backed down on a law suite against the Disney Corporation over her receiving second billing in The Parent Trap after Walt let it be known that he would see to it that she wouldn't get any more film work in Hollywood if she took him to court.

O'Hara wrote in her autobiography that a few years later when Disney was dying and her name was brought up for some reason he let out an expletive regarding her. ("That b****!" I believe it was).The Mouse never forgets.

When it came to the veterans in the film's cast, aside from the pleasure of watching O'Hara and Brian Keith, I also enjoyed the charm of the performances of both Charlie Ruggles and Una Merkel very much.

I never took it that the parents hated each other. I figured that they got together, married and over the duration of their marriage decided they were incompatible. The twins I imagine were probably newborns so each parent took one. Maybe that was the custody arrangement they agreed on? As to why the other twin didn't know about the other, that's unfortunate. I think the scenes in the latter part of the film, especially at the end when they return from the camping trip, show that the parents still had a "thing" for each other.

Blame the original author of the story, about Lottie and Lisa who were from Vienna and Munich and meet at summer camp if I recall correctly. The screenplay of the Disney film was based on the book called "Das Doppelte Lottchen" and also called "Lottie and Lisa" by Erich Kastner. It pretty much is the same as the Disney adaptation. Kastner also wrote "Emil and the Detectives" which Disney also used as a film basis.

Loved seeing "The Parent Trap" and all the Silly Symphonies and such.

As for Maltin, no comment.

• Like 2

The Parent Trap was a childhood favorite of mine.  I used to have it on VHS, and they showed it endlessly on the Disney Channel back in the day.  But I too have a major problem with the premise now as an adult (actually, I think even as a kid I found it weird that each parent apparently had no desire to ever see or even acknowledge their other child!).

I think the 90s sitcom Sister, Sister, starring real-life twins Tia and Tamera Mowry, actually handled this situation in a more satisfying way.  On that show, the twin sisters were adopted separately as babies and meet for the first time as teenagers, just like the two Hayley Mills.  They end up convincing their parents (one has a single mother, the other a single father) to all move in together, although the two parents do not enter a romantic relationship.  The new living set-up is just so that the sisters can be with each other.  That show did not end with the parents getting married, but that could have conceivably worked for a movie.  I'm kind of surprised the 1998 remake didn't take this route.

• Like 1

As for the vault series, I don' t know if TCM is running it, but if they schedule THOSE CALLOWAYS be sure and check it out.  It's a lesser-known feature with a really nice Max Steiner score.

THOSE CALLOWAYS is scheduled as one of the Disney Vault selections for September.

count me in your camp, those of you with issues in re: the general premise of THE PARENT TRAP.

I remember as a child watching this on VHS and being all "whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold the phone, you people divided your damn kids like they were the 401K? What the hell?"

And what family court judge signed off on this agreement? Cause it's so Draconian and poorly thought out, with such specious reasoning and utter lack of logic to back it up that I daresay even Clarence Thomas would take a moment to pause and say "you people have got to be kidding me. Get the Hell outta my courtroom. "

and then, once reunited: do the twins seek retribution or answers from Brian and Maureen?

no: it becomes their #1 mission in life to reassemble this virtual Voltron of bad parenting, whose rash decisions and relationship were so toxic that they were willing to sever their bonds with their OWN FLESH AND BLOOD FOR LIFE just to get the **** away from each other.

I respect all of you who like THE PARENT TRAP, and I get that it has its charm, but this thing is one quick rewrite away from becoming a pitch-black film noir.

(And frankly, I'd like to see that film.)

• Like 3

count me in your camp, those of you with issues in re: the general premise of THE PARENT TRAP.

I remember as a child watching this on VHS and being all "whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold the phone, you people divided your damn kids like they were the 401K? What the hell?"

And what family court judge signed off on this agreement? Cause it's so Draconian and poorly thought out, with such specious reasoning and utter lack logic to back it up, that I daresay even Clarence Thomas would take a moment to pause and say "you people have got to be kidding me. Get the Hell outta my courtroom. "

and then, once reunited: do the twins seek retribution or answers from Brian and Maureen?

no: it becomes their #1 mission in life to reassemble this virtual Voltron of bad parenting, whose rash decisions and relationship were so toxic that they were willing to sever their bonds with their OWN FLESH AND BLOOD FOR LIFE  just to get the *** away from each other.

I respect all of you who like THE PARENT TRAP, and I get that it has its charm, but this thing is one quick rewrite away from becoming a pitch-black film noir.

(And frankly, I'd like to see that film.)

Oh, Lorna have I got a film for you to hate!

Have you ever seen "Les Enfants Terribles"? I love it but I think you might hate it.

Enjoy the synopsis:

Les Enfants Terribles (film)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Les Enfants Terribles 220px-Enfantsterriblesposter.jpg Directed by Jean-Pierre Melville Produced by Jean-Pierre Melville Written by Jean Cocteau

Jean-Pierre Melville Starring Nicole Stéphane

Edouard Dermit Cinematography Henri Decaë Distributed by Janus Films

Release dates
Running time
106 minutes Country France Language French

Les Enfants Terribles ("The terrible children") is a 1950 French film directed by Jean-Pierre Melville and based on Jean Cocteau's novel of the same name. The first feature film of Melville, Le Silence de la Mer(1949), attracted the attention of Jean Cocteau, who commissioned him to direct the film version of Les Enfants Terribles.

Synopsis[edit]

Elisabeth is very protective of her teenage brother Paul, who has been injured in a snowball fight at school and has to rest in bed most of the time. The siblings are inseparable, living in the same room, fighting, playing secret games, and rarely leaving the house. Paul’s friend, Gerard, often drops by to stay with them. One day Elisabeth brings home Agathe to live with them. She bears a strong resemblance to Dargelos, a schoolboy whom Paul had a crush on and the same boy who injured him. Paul and Agathe become attracted to each other, causing Elisabeth to be very jealous.

• Like 1

I have not seen LES ENFANTES, but will try to give it a looksie.

I can only wonder how Walt would respond to my bleak, revisionist take on THE PARENT TRAP.

...kind of a VC Andrews/BAD SEED/SAW hybrid wherein the film climaxes with each parent in a LITERAL PARENT TRAP, begging for mercy as the twins coldly stare ahead, a metal saw beside each parent's shattered, iron-clad ankle. as the clock ticks on...

"The only way you could get away from each other was to take a part of us from ourselves."

"Now the only way you can get away from us is to leave us part of you."

erna-hrefna-04.jpg

Even as a kid I thought the whole set up was strange........

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings